Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
GURU
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not some twisty killer. Especially when I never been on a particular road and there's a million blind turns. Anyway I went to the somewhat local twisty center @ Bear mtn NY. We went down a few roads. Did them a few times since they were the only of the few that had no potholes or gravel.

By our 2nd run, I felt more confident and kept up at a safe distance. Then all the riders on the opposite side gave us the helmet tap. We weren't goin nuts and stayed the speed limit. We come off a 20 mph turn to a junction where we see the popo parked on the side of the road and one of them standing by their truck.

She pointed at the 1st rider(SV650 fairinged) to pull to the side, then the 2nd(600rr), 3rd(gsxr600), 4th(SV650 faired). I automatically started to pull to the side also when she waved me to keep going. As I was passing by, I heard her say "nah, he's not one of them".

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
LOL, lucky shit. That's what you are. Although, most cops see sportbike and just lump them all together. May not have even been your group, but saw a pack of bikes haul'n ass and your group just happend upon them at the wrong time. The difference in this case, you were the odd man out.

Around here they look for my ass because I stand out. And I'm usually haul'n ass, LOL.

·
DIZZLE
1,446 Posts
last thursday I was pulling out of the gym across from the police station and an officer was in front of me at the stop sign. I have a highly street illegal bike right now, no signals, one of two mirrors, driving lights, plate is hard to see with no plate light, and a really loud shorty. He put on his blues pulled a uturn and said stay right there, so I just took off my helmet. he turned all the way around and drove up, and said not you and tagged the car behind me for sumptin.

·
GURU
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I stand out in the area as well. I only had one instance where a cop pulled me over and went over my bike.

"What kind of bike is this?"
me- Suzuki
"you sure?"
me- yeah
"So why do you have a kawasaki shock on it?"
me- the colors match my chain

Then there was a discussion of stolen parts which went no where.

In regards to what happened, we all hear about racial profiling, but this is new where there's bike profiling. We definately weren't the only bikes up there. Maybe 100+ at different parts of the park and that's only including sport bikes.

I guess cops mainly bust balls of the stereotypical riders they see or hear about on tv. You're right, they do lump all the sport riders together. I guess they're still behind on what stunt bikes look like for now.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
People don't seem to group my bike in with sportbikes... nice to know since it's just as fast as any of 'those crotch rockets'

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
I've had cops tail me that I know were looking to intimidate me, but I've never been singled out otherwise. I think having a naked bike tends to disassociate you from the plastic wrapped crowd in the eyes of the po-po's. I dunno though, sportbikes aren't a real bunch of "trouble makers" around here.

·
32 Posts
I got pulled over a few weeks ago doin about 35-40 in a 25 w/ dead inspection and running a stop sign(i didnt think it was for the road I was on) cop walked up, told me what was wrong, ran my info, said "nice bike, go get it inspected" and drove off. I guess he liked the naked look:) I hope it distances me from the other cookie cutter bikes tho, thats why I did it.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
I've had cops walk in circles around my bike... apparently checking for bombs or something. It does sort of look like a war bike :D

·
Naked from the waste down
1,334 Posts
Having a streetfighter and having my SV650 has saved me TONS of tickets. Back when I had my bros R6 out, I would get tailed ALWAYS by cops. I have rarely even been looked at by cops on my fighter and never on my SV.

When i see a cop I sit at 90* to the bike and cruise. It works wonders. Really amazing.

·
The Philosopher King
296 Posts
I think the reason why is that non-riders say it was one of those blue sportbikes...so the cops pull over all blue sportbikes.... however this can be a two edged sword....once pulled over if you are a blue sport bike you can say that blue is the 2nd most commonly selected colour and that it wasn't you....if you are a streetfighter and someone gives a description of your bike then u are really screwed because your bike probably doesn't look like any other bike on the road at the time

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Frapps said:
I think the reason why is that non-riders say it was one of those blue sportbikes...so the cops pull over all blue sportbikes.... however this can be a two edged sword....once pulled over if you are a blue sport bike you can say that blue is the 2nd most commonly selected colour and that it wasn't you....if you are a streetfighter and someone gives a description of your bike then u are really screwed because your bike probably doesn't look like any other bike on the road at the time

I once got pulled over and the cop couldn't describe my bike to his dispatch, haha.

"It's a... grey... black... black and grey... Uh... I'm drawin a blank here. Suzuki? I think it's a Suzuki. Registration says it's a Suzuki. Black."

·
GURU
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haelo said:
I once got pulled over and the cop couldn't describe my bike to his dispatch, haha.

"It's a... grey... black... black and grey... Uh... I'm drawin a blank here. Suzuki? I think it's a Suzuki. Registration says it's a Suzuki. Black."
:LolLolLolLol:

·
Registered
171 Posts
In quite a few peoples eyes, they are simply standards... I barely ever get a second look from the 50.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Nudist said:
In quite a few peoples eyes, they are simply standards... I barely ever get a second look from the 50.

A lot of 'factory streetfighters' (for lack of a universally accepted term) are classified as standards... note that Suzuki's naked gixxer is considered a sport touring bike in Australia and a lot of Europe. BIG deal when you're insuring the bike, obviously. Now if only we could figure out a way to get our bikes reclassified after stripping them down...

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Scrapyard said:
It would go through the roof. I bold face lie to my insurance. It's in a garage, unmodified and I only ride it every 3rd Sunday if the weather is above 75, lol.

My bike isn't even a Hayabusa... just a Suzuki 1300 that I only put 1500 miles on a year (despite not having a car and living in a rural area)

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
When i see a cop I sit at 90* to the bike and cruise. It works wonders. Really amazing.

I think that seating position has a little to do with it too. I get alot more looks , followed, and pulled over more on my full faired 1,000????? :LolLolLolLol:

·
813 Posts
My buddy rides like an ass constantly. Since he converted his 600rr to a fighter he said that the Police don't even seconod glance him anymore. He has not been pulled over since the conversion. I went from an FZ1 to a full faired bike and got pulled over three time with ticket in one year. The FZ1 was far easier to get away with bad antics even thought the thing hauled ass, they just looked past me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts