Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
oooh fudge!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a great many years' delay, I'm moving forward again.
'busa wheels, forks, brakes. Hardtail frame originally build around an '82 gs1100 engine. (Old engine is leaking, and weighs a ton, and the insurance costs associated with an 1100 don't make it worth it. I decided a smaller revvier lighter engine will be the ticket for city work.)
Chopped 1983 katana gas tank. The new engine is I think an 89 gsxr750?

It'll be slow progress, but the profile's here.
I gave the old framebuilder the forks, wheels, engine for measurements and a basic brief:
rake at 35, crankcase dead centre between the axles, 5" ground clearance, make the lower frametubes straigth laterally form downtubes to the rear axle, and make the backbone as straight as can be from the headtube to the rear axle.
Done!

Here it is dropped off at a friend's for pegs, fender, seat and we're going to get some paint laid down. First pic of progress in a very long time.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Looks like it's going to be badass

·
oooh fudge!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey jackstand: frame's not for an 1100, it's a ground-up build, was just originally wrapped around a GS1100.
so when I bring it to get titled etc it'll be as a 750 home-build.

The hornyskull's adorning a short sissybar (what? I have kids I wanna bring with me!)
The seat''s off some lumpy HD softail, re-shaping foam, pan pounded to fit, blahbleeblah.
I cut the very back of the fender to match the back of the tank exactly, not easy to tell from here but it's a detail that mattered to me.
The fender extends about 3/4 of the rear wheel, so it's well past the axle, but not to the very edge of the wheel. Very short "flat" section but we need a little platform there for taillight etc.

EDIT: oh yeah... shark teeth 'fighter nose art style... not sure how well it'll look like but I played with some markers to get an idea.

·
oooh fudge!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sometimes letting the welder have a bit of free reign on the design is a good thing!!
he asked me what I wanted for a sissybar I kinda blinked and said "I dunno... you know... not big, but enough to keep someone on the bike"

·
oooh fudge!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guess I forgot to update this.
Not a ton of movement but a nice couple additions.
The unexpectedly cool sissybar kind of moved me more towards a more stylized spikey barbarian look than the old fighter idea.

So this sis a rough profile that I'm expected remains roughly the same.
Bars are coming back a little though, right now it's a stretch.
And they'll be this set of mini Z's.

·
oooh fudge!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got bored: rsd risers, couple shims, titanium mountain bike bars.
Maybe 1 lb total weight? SEVERAL pounds less than the chromed PYO z's.

A little short, but the weight loss would be worth it.
Not had much movement recently with the welder, so this is all I have!

Attachments

·
oooh fudge!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
brought the bitch home the hard way.
big tubular fender bracing because.... just because.
sissybar's done. took too long.

Attachments

·
oooh fudge!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
guess that's where she is now, nothing special.
hard to stay motivated when every time you bring her home from a "professional" you have mroe work to do than before they "helped". ah well.

Attachments

·
oooh fudge!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Minor DW: moved engine into the Hard-Up Choppers frame. Top rear mounts don't line up. Couldn't get the engine into the frmae without popping the carbs off. (but to be fair, I'm doing it alone)
Never did get the footpegs from them.
Great profile though!
16" HD rear wheel, hayabusa front end, monster front fender, maybe Protaper bars instead of the titanium drag bars.
Didn't want springs under the seat but if I can't find a way to get a real shock under there, I will. Marital issues mean it'll likely be single seat anyways.

Back on the slow "DW in the basement" train.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts