Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One: how often should I add seafoam to me fuel? I mean is it a one time gig? Or every couple months?

Two: looking for opinions on adding oil supplements to engine oil say like "hyperlube" or "power punch"...??

I recently changed the oil in me buelly and now I can hear the lifters ticking an little, why is that? I used royal purple 20w-50 which is pretty heavy stuff, would power punch benefit at all?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
I would only use Seafoam if the bike sits for more than few weeks without being started. The lube additive is just snake oil, skip it. If any of those things worked, then why wouldn't the oil companies add it to their oil?

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
then why wouldn't the oil companies add it to their oil?

oil supplements=snake oil

Does the buell have a wet clutch? some of those additives could damage a wet clutch

Not sayin you guys are wrong but isn't it just supply and demand? Like they make their oil good but not too good,

More oil changes=more$$$ right?

Just curious now why they'd be considered snake oil...?

Yes the buell does have a wet clutch, ya think they would eat it or just make it slip?

So many questions and so little time!

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
Sea Foam if your gonna store it for a period of a month... or use startron for really long periods.
Yamaha makes this shit called Ring Free and its the Shit

·
Watch the world burn
1,046 Posts
Your clutch is bathed in oil and uses friction. Those oil additives and some car oils have anti friction agents, which will make your clutch slip and eat itself. You can use seafoam as much as you want, I add it anytime I remember to, which is usually every couple of tanks. About as often as I remember to clean my chain....

·
30,379 Posts
Not sayin you guys are wrong but isn't it just supply and demand? Like they make their oil good but not too good,

More oil changes=more$$$ right?
You sound like a conspiracy theorist.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
Car oil in a Motorcycle is bad news... especially if the clutch is in the same oil as the motor oil...it will Slip...some are even as finicky as to not to use synthetic oil...

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
eh....to much reading for me....but interesting enough, so basically they just a waste of $$ but I still seen no mention of power punch or hyperlube, what gives?

Come to think of it, I haven't seen slick50 or duralube on shelves in a longtime!

·
30,379 Posts
eh....to much reading for me....but interesting enough, so basically they just a waste of $$ but I still seen no mention of power punch or hyperlube, what gives?

Come to think of it, I haven't seen slick50 or duralube on shelves in a longtime!
Or maybe Duralube and Slick50 are now called Power Punch and Hyperlube

:stupid:

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure about the punch bowl but I do know hyperlube has been around long before slick-fiddy

Fuck it I'm gonna dump some in the ol bueller and see what happens, I might be starting a buell rebuild thread:D

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gsf, I've used car oil in many bikes with 0 I'll effects except 1, I put chevron 10w30 in my 1997 CR250 once and it wouldn't move(literally!) I dumped the oil I put in it and went back to spectro clutch saver and she came right back to me, you are very right that "some" car oils have additives that will make a wet clutch slip, but other than that for the bike I have owned, not much difference in the two

Put 20,000 miles on my Drz and only ever ran valvoline 10w40, she loved every mile of it:)

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Guess not but everything I've read "strongly" recommends a full synthetic 20w50, (royal purple, Mobil 1 or amsoil)

...this is getting way to confusing...ow...my head.....stop it!:)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts