Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've been trying to get a bike running that has sat for about 2 yr. It's runs ok when on the throttle or choke but refuses to idle. It idles real rough but if I put a little choke it revs fine. So I was looking at my carbs and I noticed a couple cracked rubber caps covering a nipple on 3 of the carbs. One carb has a hose on the nipple that goes off to the fuel tank. My question is what is that hose and could the cracked caps affect the idle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
06 suzuki katana 600. And no I haven't broken the carbs down bc I don't have the tools or knowledge to resync them. So if I can avoid breaking them down I'm going to try to

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
I haven't broken the carbs down bc I don't have the tools or knowledge to resync them.

You really only need a basic set of tools to remove the tank, airbox, and carbs. Cleaning out the jets is a pretty simple process. Plus you always have plenty of help here.

Later, Doug

Reactions: ROBBO

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I've already investigated pulling the carbs off. It doesn't look to be too hard for me to get them off. What I'm afraid of is the disassembly of 4 carbs and not being able to get them either back together right or not get them synced. And I live on fort campbell ky

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
well you dont want those little caps to be cracked either. those are synchronizer ports for using a synch tool if the carbs ever needed resynched. But otherwise those caps definitely need to be on there and not leaking. The one going to the fuel tank uses vacuum to "command" the automatic petcock to release the fuel through through the fuel line. when you shut the bike off the vacuum stops and shuts off the fuel.

Be careful repairing them. dont use anything thats gonna melt. I'd just try to find intact ones at a junkyard or just order new ones.
Those ports obviously are under vacuum and lead directly into the engine. you dont want much of anything to crawl or get sucked into them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the info rock. I looked them up and found the caps on autozone.com for a couple dollars. So after I clean the carbs and I'm doing the resync what exactly am I adjusting. Is it the fuel mixture screws or where the throttle links together?

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Been said before in the replies but here goes.
Remove carbs and strip down,no need to separate carbs,all can be done without that.
Check on google or utube for the how to take apart and clean carbs.Will help a lot if you are not familiar with carbs.Make sure you soak all carb passages and jets in carb clean and blow out with compressed air .Check all o rings are good.Check float heights.Check needle and seats for wear.Replace if required.Put carbs back together and bench test with a fuel bottle fitted to carbs to check for leaks before fitting to bike.Saves a lot of swearing if they are bench tested prior to fitting.Bench sync carbs,again utube is your friend here.Some good info on how to do it is there.
Maybe going a bit in depth here but prior to carb sync with gauges ,valve clearances should be set to spec when engine is cold.Once that is done check carb sync when engine is up to operating temp after that all should be good.
Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
probably your pilot jets need cleaned out. still good to have a look at everything else like he's saying. but it's likely the pilot jets that are clogged from sitting. They are the tiniest pinhole jets in the carb so they get clogged first. And they are the idle jet so then the bike does not idle but you can keep it running with choke and throttle...

Do that first before you bother with a sync. If everything's as it should be I'm not sure why the bike would be hugely out of sync.

Syncronizing is the screws in between the throttle plates btw.

The 4 fuel mixture screws should all be about the same turns out from lightly seated. If the bike feels a tad lean or rich off the bottom you can adjust those somewhat to suit. or if you're headed into the mountains. Shouldnt stray too far from a default setting though. how many turns out is the ballpark? not sure on that bike.

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
those caps cover the vacuum such ports. You can replace them with off the shelf parts place van port caps. Get a variety pack for a few bucks. Make sure they fit nice and tight. The hose running to the gas tank is the van feed for the pet cock. Reserve and on only work with vac. Prime will work without it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts