Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about wrinkled/crackle paint on my fork lowers and possibly the swingarm on my B12, just black, but in the same vein as Ferrari do with their engine covers. Anybody done this> I believe it needs heat to activate and it might not be such a good idea to do this if it requires a lot of heat.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
seen it said that it needs 90+ degrees in an oven...can't stick my built up forks in there...might experiment with a bit of steel or ally and use a heat gun and see how that goes. not even sure i like the look but when something gets stuck in the old noggin i have to scratch that itch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was thinking about wrinkled/crackle paint on my fork lowers and possibly the swingarm on my B12, just black, but in the same vein as Ferrari do with their engine covers. Anybody done this> I believe it needs heat to activate and it might not be such a good idea to do this if it requires a lot of heat.
Hi Mate
As a paint sprayer my self I have used the Wrinkle finish paints from Homebase, B&Q and such like. I assume you are going over aluminium parts? As long as you have a good etch primer you will have no problem with adhesion. It depends on the type of effect you want. Are you looking to clear over the effect, matt or gloss?
Are you thinking of rattle can or spray gun?
If you have any questions I will try to help you.
Hope it helps.
Guy

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guy for your response. I am looking at a matt finish...would it need protecting with a clear coat?
I would be looking at the VHT rattle can option. Yes i am thinking of applying it to aluminium and steel. My fork lowers and swingarm are the main things i am looking at coating.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Guy for your response. I am looking at a matt finish...would it need protecting with a clear coat?
I would be looking at the VHT rattle can option. Yes i am thinking of applying it to aluminium and steel. My fork lowers and swingarm are the main things i am looking at coating.

UPOL do a 1k acid etch primer in a can. It's good stuff and probably your best option for a can.
Make sure everything is well degreased and sanded. I would recommend a 320 grit wet or dry and do it wet as the paper doesn''t clog. are you trying to cover any damage?
Guy

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no, not covering any damage...but the tough black paint i used originally aint all that tough and has chipped...same with swinger. from what i have read this wrinkle paint is tough. the big question is about heat though...not going to dismantle forks again just to do it, so the deciding factor is whether how much heat i can put on the forks to achieve the desired effect without bollocksing them up.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so i have sprayed three coats of VHT wrinkle paint on a few hours ago and it says to leave it 48 hours to fully dry. you can add more coats if the wrinkle has not started to form. it then says to 'cure' the paint put it in the oven at 93 degrees. obviously my forks cant go in the oven or anything else for that matter if i value my testicles. so in a couple of days i will use the heat gun on this scrap metal and see if that alters it at all or if not adding heat makes the paint soft. i shall report back. quite liking the finish. i have seen other products that are used to line the bed of a pick up truck which i might investigate if this VHT stuff doesnt do the job. all the blobs are me messing about with the welder.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will put it to the test on saturday as apparently the sun will be making an appearance.

·
BLACK BELT
7,072 Posts
Best paint job I ever accomplished was rattle can acrylic enamel, cured for over 2 weeks in the summer California sun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
so i have sprayed three coats of VHT wrinkle paint on a few hours ago and it says to leave it 48 hours to fully dry. you can add more coats if the wrinkle has not started to form. it then says to 'cure' the paint put it in the oven at 93 degrees. obviously my forks cant go in the oven or anything else for that matter if i value my testicles. so in a couple of days i will use the heat gun on this scrap metal and see if that alters it at all or if not adding heat makes the paint soft. i shall report back. quite liking the finish. i have seen other products that are used to line the bed of a pick up truck which i might investigate if this VHT stuff doesnt do the job. all the blobs are me messing about with the welder. View attachment 150079 View attachment 150080
Interesting look. Would like to see the finished items.
When I used to paint cars they were baked in the booth at 80'C metal temp. That's the whole car in the booth. Nothing melted, but god that was hot if you went in the booth. Cars were in for about 40 minutes. I would guess your forks would be OK but I wouldn't want to gaurantee it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
3 coats on this morning and left in the sun. Not as wrinkled as i thought it might be so probably need to really layer it on. But...i think its a winner. Definitely going on the swingarm and fork lowers veey soon. Depending how durable it actually is versus what theu say it is i might use it for engine mounts, foot peg mounts...all sorts of things.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Swingarm linkage coated today...pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No pictures...this didnt work at all. Not sure if it was my application of the paint or because the part had a complex shape as it was great on a flat piece of metal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts