Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
That guy
4,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So later in august, their auctioning off the remnants of the wifes grand parents estate. I know there is a craftsmen brand mig welder along with tank, belt and disc sander, vise, chop saw, floor model drill press. All are quite probably craftsman brand all a decade or older.

So realisticly what is a close to if not over 10 year old craftsman brand welder worth? How much should I bring for what I want? I just got a little compressor, and storage space for now for all tools I get, and well more I get now the better.

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
do you know the model or how big/small it is? Welder tech has come a long way in those 10 years.... so unless its something amazing its probalby only worth what you are willing to pay for it. I dont think they ever made any kind of industrial welders or anything so it shouldnt be much.

·
That guy
4,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all garage level, nothing special. I just want to make sure it gets loaded up with me, and not the pawnshop or resellers. I figure if market value is 200 they wont pay 200 for it. Let alone other tools their as well. I latterly am at the point of needing those tools.

·
Elbow Grease is Cheap
6,370 Posts
If you could find out the model(s) and do a bit of researching on prices that would be great.

If not, just watch out. Estate auctions seem to bring out those inclined to catch "auction fever"
When that happens, people wind up paying WAAAAYYY more than what a brand new item can be purchased for.

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
look at the price of a brand new one and dont go over that. That is pretty simple haha

·
That guy
4,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The estate is locked, right now only auctioneers are allowed in to catalogue it all. House, 9 acres, 2 vehicles, 1 wheeler, tools, furnishing, ect. Anyways this is my way into a decent cheap set of heavy tools, and I know that. Ive been to a few around here, and passed on a couple old coffin arc welders for 15$ each a few years back, due to no space.

I wont pay brand new price for any of it either, its all over a decade old if not older. Capacitors don't like sitting with out being used for that long. Figure with the belt and disc sander, Ill need new belts and discs, the chop saw will need a new abrasive blade, hell the drill press may need new head bearings. It goes on and on.

What I do know, the welder is grey or black mig, has a tank, and is craftsman.
The sander is old hammer toned green enamel runs a 6" disc maybe 1" belt.
Drill press is equally ancient, looks solid, weighs a ton.
The choppin saw is well a choppin saw.

So let me rephrase, what is fair market value for these tools in used and not abused shape?

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
I have an old craftsman MIG welder. Bought it brand new about 10-11 years ago. Never ran anything other than self shielded flux core wire thru it. Built a couple mini trucks and an off road rig with it and it worked alright for what it is. Layed some decent beads using wire that most don't like.

That being said, I wouldn't pay more than $100 for one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts