Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Broke BUT Eager NOOB
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up CF. I'm thinking of running two led spotlights stacked on top of each other for my bandit headlight set up. Anyone have any experience with this..would this require a ballast? Any help or comments positive or negative regarding it would be appreciated! Love pics so if you have any put em up!!

Was thinking of something like this: http://m.ebay.com/itm/251611630149?nav=SEARCH

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Shouldn't require a ballast. I would see if you could get a spot and a flood. Spots work good for highbeams but don't provide a lot of light at the sides of the road and would probably blind oncoming drivers unless you had them pointed almost straight at the ground. You have to remember that the lights on our bikes are almost dead level with someones head in a car.

·
Rollin hard in Wiscompton
3,693 Posts
I was eyeballing one of those lights myself. The 125w is pure fiction, it's what they are equating the output to. Those lights run more at 10w or 15w in actual power use. If you get one, take some high res shots of the output so that we can see. The more options for bikes, the better.

·
Broke BUT Eager NOOB
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jmartin thanks..one flood sounds like a good idea. @Everything I will post em up if I get them..still doing research and comparing options. I was also thinking of buying one of the cheap "streetfighter" headlights and just hacking it to fit led's. I think the plastics would be ok with the led heat output no??

·
Rollin hard in Wiscompton
3,693 Posts
They they also have a different light output pattern than halogen. There aren't any plug and play LED bulbs that you can stick into a halogen housing and get decent light output from. LED's require some form of a projection setup.

·
Broke BUT Eager NOOB
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input guys..maybe ill just save and get a hid set up..was trying to restrain from spending the bucks on em really and still get an effective light..but Im not against spending on items that have to do with safety. .see and be seen!

·
Registered
740 Posts
High output LEDs actually produce a fair bit of heat, though not nearly as much as a halogen bulb. A 10w LED would require a heat sink--why good LED spot lights always have finned cases, the case is the heat sink for the diode.

There's lots of cheap LED light bars and spots on ebay, the prices have really dropped on them. There's a kit for the grom that uses 2x 7.5w led light bars -each about 4"x1". They make a HID kit look like a wet match. It's like having one of those stadium lights on the front of your bike.

Most people say fuck it, but these are extremely blinding to oncoming drivers since they are a "flood" and each diode projects into a 120* cone- there's no low beam "cutoff".

·
Broke BUT Eager NOOB
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, i've seen the one made for the grom but i'm looking for a less bulky item. Really going for a subtle appearance but good output

·
Registered
2 Posts
BEWARE BANDIT. I got 3 of these to do a custom setup, ended up only using 2, but the original plan was one 30* flood basically for a running light and 2 8* spots for actual higher speed visibility, and like another poster said pretty much pointed at the ground. I was really happy with the output, very similar to a pair of PIAA 1100x's I used to have, really white light amazing output for quoted power draw, but the PIAA's are NOT cheap, and you have to use their harness and switch. The CREE's were plug & play pretty much and pretty similar output (and only 10w each!!), fab'd connecters to go to the stock headlight plug until I can find the stock female connecter from a wrecked headlight assy., and on they go! But like so many things made in China (fulfilled by amazon so I wasn't sure they were made there when I bought them, got them in 2 days via prime for about $72 for the pair of spots and $35 for the flood, but the plain white boxes were a dead giveaway!) one lasted about a month until one day I have nothing from one, looked more closely and I see a phillips head behind the lens rolling around, open it up and it had come loose from the circuit board where it was holding it to the aluminum body. Not sure how the "engineers" figure a 2mm sheet metal screw is going to hold in cast aluminum...but now I have to pry some sort of partial refund from amazon's grip. So beware. I ordered a Trail Tech X2 HID fly screen and light setup today for a short term solution, going to hope for better results, but would rather fab something cool than bolt something on dammit.

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
They they also have a different light output pattern than halogen. There aren't any plug and play LED bulbs that you can stick into a halogen housing and get decent light output from. LED's require some form of a projection setup.
Looks to me like a LED behind a projector, I say try one and see what the pattern looks like.

Reactions: ROBBO

·
Broke BUT Eager NOOB
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help guys but i ended up geting a cheap housing from ebay and retro'd a hid kit into it. looks ok to me

1 - 16 of 16 Posts