Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Lazy bastard
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CRF150R -from crappy to glorious.

I've raced minimotos for 10 years, but unfortunately it's a dying sport here in Finland and for years has been alive only because of the minisupermoto races that are held on the same occations. For this reason I'm now moving up to the minisupermotos. I did a test season last summer on our team's endurance moped, for which I made a bigger 85 cc motor and I was able to finish somewhere in the middle despite poor front end and brakes, so with a better bike I should do OK next season.
I'm not too excited of the Chinese quality, so I decided to get a proper Jap bike and found this:

A 2008 Honda CRF150R, poorly maintained, but cheap. I figured It's all the same, since it's going to bits anyway.

It got worse before getting better...

12" wheels with rim tapes and a 2 pot Brembo caliper:

The bike came with 2 sets of plastic, crappy ones mounted and a pretty decent white ones. I ordered and fitted custom number plates and shroud decals:

I had some material left of my SRAD seats, so my work mate covered the seat:

I haven't fitted the small wheels yet, so this is where I'm now:

To do: fit a smaller wheel swing arm, fit wheels, fit brakes, powder coat the frame and the swing arm, fit new white CRF50 front fender, chop and fit a new white rear fender, have the suspension lowered with stiffer springs, rebuild engine with a 163,5 cc Athena big bore kit.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
Fuckin Wiked Kimmo

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Awesome

·
Lazy bastard
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Lazy bastard
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tank was scratched and ugly, but I found a fairly reasonably priced carbon cover on it, which made a huge difference! The same thing with the cap, so got a trick alu one:

Today I also started with the wheels. The front axle is 15 mm like the wheels, so just a couple of spacers later it was in. The rear is trickier, since the axle is 17 mm, but hopefully that can be sorted with just changing the bearings.

With the smaller front fender it's starting to look nice:

The fender is quite narrow and small, so I'm still concidering a chopped original as an option. I don't have a picture, but I tested on the old one and while chopping it just from the front makes it look stupid, cutting from the rear and then bringing it back with new mounting holes looks pretty good.

·
Lazy bastard
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

The yellowish bits got a new coat of white. No "after" shot of everything though, just a "before":

Got a new front brake rotor. 240 mm is the biggest that fits. Also the for guards got new stickers:

I got the rear wheel mounted with a bearing change, but unfortunately it's about a cm off the centerline, so I'll have to turn a spacer for the sprocket and then see what it takes to sort out the brake side.

·
Lazy bastard
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How to make spacers:
Phase 1: cut a piece out of 10 mm plate
Phase 2: drill a shitload of little holes to be later opened as the center hole, because you don't have suitable machinery
Phase 3: remember that you have cheap car wheel spacers from Biltema on the shelf that fit perfectly
Phase 4: curse for lost time and effort
Phase 5: post on CF

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
phase 6:pOST PICS!!!!!!!

·
Lazy bastard
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The caliper needed some shaving...

...but fit in the end. Adapter done:

Also got new red brake lines:

Too bad the rear line isn't right:

·
Lazy bastard
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got some skateboard wheels and turned some inserts for support:

Crashpads (though I'm not sure they're needed...):

Installed hand guards. Of course I had ordered ones for a 22 mm bar, so had to work some to get them to fit to the fatty:

·
Lazy bastard
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some more turning:

Parts done:

And how they fit:

On the other side the crash pad is bolted to the plastic because of the exhaust:

Practiced some TIG welding:

Sliders on the swingarm:

The whole set:

·
Lazy bastard
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The new rear brake line is in and the brakes are bled and working.

Got new chain and sprockets, gold aluminium for the rear:

Tested cutting the old rear fender by about 5 cm. Looks good, will do the same to the new white one.

The bike had been wheelied over, so the silencer was all bent and wrinkly. I got a cheap Vance&Hines that was taken apart and partly shortened. I finished the job and put it back together:

Test fitting:

Needs a link pipe, but luckily I have some leftovers from the SRAD-project:

1 - 20 of 134 Posts