Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,
I have a 82 gs1100e that im finally starting to work on aesthetics, and i need to hook up some gauges. I have a set of gauges from a 1990 katana 750 that im trying to wire in. Im on top of the speedo, but the tach is frustrating the hell out of me.

My gs has two ign coils both with constant 12v and are triggered on the negative side from the ign module.

My katana gauge has three wires, 12v, ground, and signal. Unfortunately the 90 katana gets a signal from its' ign module(12v). So i need to get a 12v trigger like signal to the gauge.

I had it wired up on a coil such that both constant 12v and 12v signal were wired to the (+) battery and just the ground wire on the negative side of the coil, but this arrangement will ground out the ignition coil, causing me to lose two cylinders. This arrangement does give me correct rpm reading though.

I have tried a diode on the negative wire coming into the tach and it does not do anything, intuitively it shouldnt, but just a try anyway.

Maybe im missing something really simple, but im just testing the waters to see if any other peeps have encounter something like this; maybe you can help.

Thanks

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
You could use a transistor across one of the coils to get this, when the coil is triggered by grounding out the other side, this can be used to ground out a transistor, supplying power to your tacho.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts