Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Custom fighter Race Bike - Build help needed

4K views 40 replies 15 participants last post by  chandler 
#1 ·
Ok Guys With Chris and Adams permition (PLease) I want to build a bike using this site and its members input. I need some help in the right direction.

As you know I love to race. My new project bike is for the Chinese Super Bike Series (CSBK) next year. I am going to give it a go. I can only race in three of the 6 races because I am a foreigner so the pressure is on to finish and do well in just three races to prove who is top dog here of the foreigners.

Project bike will be built by Spyder. Reason being its an FZR based bike and Spyder and myself already are working on a few other project bikes so he was already there on hand. B Miller has been an enormous help as has Adam and Scrap yard and Healo too, to name but a few.

So I wanted to start this thread to follow this race bikes build. It will be the last race bike I will build for myself. Not like I might retires soon or anything but I just want to have one bike that is built to my exact specs and just keep and tune it myself and learn the bike inside and out.

Like I said it’s a 600cc series and I am up against almost exclusively R-6 Yamahas For some reason they dominate the field over here in China.

So here is the build and what our plans are. I wrote this so Spyder and I can see where we were heading t begin with also if we get too far off track.

FZR-400 frame (1988)
FZR-600 engine with a YZF top end – strokes it to ahhhh a little more than 600cc he he he
R-1 Front end (2003)
R-6 race solo seat with a lightweight aluminum sub frame
Advance the ignition on the engine
Get a shift kit to make her shift better and help not hit that damned false neutral
Carbs Not sure yet.
636 Radiator
GDG rear sets
TZR-4.5 inch rim (Got an idea for a cheap 4.75 or 5” rim let me know. I could not find a 1999 GSXR 1100 wheel any where which is what I wanted to use.
But I can get a 150 on there with a nice profile or a 160 with a bit of a pinch but still real nice to use on slicks where they stick oh so fine.

Header and maybe my shorty race slip on but a V& H system I think is what Spyder has in mind.

Oh, so here is where I need help right now.

I am a firm believer in making the insides of the engine smooth and polished up for better flow and less friction.

So with that said I need to find a place to do the following and more if you guys have better Ideas but a minimum is this
Lighten and balance the crank polish it up.
Polish all the internal parts that safely can be

Get some good aftermarket pistons and rings that will hold up to racing I am working on my Weisco friend now t see if he can suggest what pistons to use. He is a tech with them and knows what’s what.

Port and polish a 5 or 7 angle valve job what’s best with what we are doing?

Spyder can take over the technical engine issues and questions on this thread and you can talk to him if you wish direct as he is building and I have no clue what’s what in side an engine to be honest. Not like he does anyway.

So for one stop shopping to polish things up and also under cut the gears a bit maybe your thoughts?

I only plan to race this thing like I said so a stripped wire harness as well as a custom dash and custom sub frame out of aluminum. I pant to constantly work on this thing despite how good or bad I do I want to keep this thing and just keep making it better as a carbbed four stroke. One day soon it will be a museum piece anyway ha ha.

Eventually I plan to put on some custom wheels but I am still working on that semi sponsored deal.

When I can afford it I will get wavy rotors or upgrade the brakes even more or the engine what ever time and money allows.

So how about a team CF brain trust her and help me and Spyder with what’s the best way to make this thing as fire breathing monster of a bike. Lie said we have a plan already about formed.

But if I ever get in the winners circle which means top 3 they will make me remove my heads to check and see if I have larger than 600cc. I am not sure they get the whole stroking it concept just yet over there.

As far as beating and injection machine like an R-6 I am not afraid of them plain and simple. If they can do it I can do it and on that lightweight frame with a stroked 600 I should be killing them in the corners like GP bike would. If not, then shame on me.

OK guys give me your thoughts other than I wrote a frigin book of an intro to this project ha ha ha

And if your wondering why not just get a R-6? Fuck that! Where’s the challenge in that, I ask you?

THIS IS THE BIKE IN ITS ORIGINAL FORM

THIS IS WHAT IT LOOKED LIKE MYLAST RACE

Is now in pieces goign out for repair work or polishing or something. but its a basket case right now.

See less See more
#4 ·
OK guys give me your thoughts other than I wrote a frigin book of an intro to this project ha ha ha
And if your wondering why not just get a R-6? Fuck that! Where’s the challenge in that, I ask you?
And you @ 40-something too!
I cant do a fuck toward finance or inside info for helping you achieve your machines potential, but by god I'll dam well back your spirit every step of the way!

Sock it to em ChinaSteve

Fkn Yeahhhhh!
:knucks:

#5 ·
I would spend the money on getting the R1 forks reworked and a aftermarket rear shock. It's got some pretty good brakes, with good pads.
The bikes gonna have some weight to it comparatively. Shave some weight with the wheels, subframe and as many titanium bolts as you can get ahold of. Wish I was able to work on it too ! :party-smiley:
Good luck Steve, Can I come to China and watch a race next year ?

#9 ·
Oh hell yeah! everyone cna come watch me make a fool of myself. Ha ha.

S far as age. the hearts ther and I have started a workout routine to get me in as top shape as I can for next year. focusing on muscle groups which wil help in the racing aspect.

I found good strong stomach muscles is a good thing And what better way than to have lots of sex and really work that are ha ha.

OH FYI I am nto looking for money or donations of parts or anything I got the build cost covered I just need you collective brain power to build a bike that scres the shit out of me.

DOUG Z so tell me more of these cermic wheel beerings wher to get?

#7 ·
so is it getting a green and black customfighters.com paint scheme?

#10 ·
Honestly it all depends on the sponsorship I can get.

If I can not get a full ride like I am trying for then yes I will make it whatever color I want then.

I am actually trying to get a 3 bike team fielded and have a spnsor in mnd that I have been talking with. Actually one main and some product support sponsors.

You knwo how that is. Howeve rI wil have spare body work adn I was thinking of making a custom fighters set of body work for when I runit at teh local club races.

Teh Chinese are pretty supersticious so having a black bike with skulls on it and the number 44 on it will scare the ba-jesus out of them. ha ha

Oh why #44? In Chinese the word 4 sounds really close to the word death. So 44 is like saying death death or lots of death. No one wears anytihng that says 44 on it here.

like I went to the hospital to visit my father in law and there was not floor number floor in the hospital. Who wants to be in the hospital on the death floor kind of a thng ya know ha ha.

So to have a bike with number 44 is like really evil... kind of like having 666 on your bike in the USA. - sorry superbreast! :LolLolLolLol:

But to answer the question. until I get sponsors willing to put cash in hand to put their name on the bike.. Yup its a street fighter bike for sure.

#12 ·
KWS does good work. They are right down the street from me. Although Kevin is a little finiky about what he works on. Latley he shys from the older stuff, or anything not suzuki. If he does take in anything out of the ordinary it's after the race season when they slow down. Another big name shop to look into is APE. They deal with a lot of different brands.

As far as polishing the motor. Knife edge the crank and have it balanced.
What kind of tracks are you running it on? Are we talking long straights or lots of tight corners? That will dramaticly represent what direction to head.

If you can use them, I have a pair of 04-06 R1 rotors I'd bee willing to contribute.

#15 ·
#17 ·
I know KWS does good work.. They did a race bike in Rochester that this guy Sammy own's. I think he said it was about $6 grand or something and he's getting 215hp at the rear wheel now, all motor.

Steve that guy i told you about thats gonna do the bore job on the SR can lighten, balance, and polish cranks, port and polish heads, valve job's.. everything. He's gonna call me back on a price soon on getting that done, a price on cam's w/adjustable cam sprockets, Flat Slides.. and whatever else I can get done to make this bitch fast.

He's got a real good rep around here, all he builds is Yamaha's so thats a plus. He know's the motor's.. But his thing is building V-max's lol. He's got the fastest one around here, BADASS!

#19 ·
Ok I amtakingnotes. I wil see if teh ceramic bearings that are made her are worht a shit. I tend not to trust bearings made here btu ceramic ones might be a seperate issue.

Bearing manufacturers are geting better here as time goes on. They used to suck hind tit here.

If I can get a set to them they shoud be able to copy them off or have set of what I need. Think the need to sponsor a bunch to me though he he he.

SPYDER - OK get me a price if we can one stop shop on all the machining so much the better.

6K OUCH thats going to leave a mark! I need to get that cost down a bit to make it do-able ,,,,,,,,,,like half maybe?? (Oh please ,oh please, oh pleeeeese!)

#20 ·
Ok so I decided to send my frame swingarm and rear wheel once I get the conversion finished over to Spyder and have him build teh whole frigin thing over there.

Reason is he can get things so much faster and easier than me importing things.

When I finish this and it gets shipped the crate will be full of spares of the bike. i got no retail outlet here to buy anything other than the jacked priced parts out of Hong Kong.

#21 ·
doesnt Graves do only yamaha??? or is that just for the new yami's?? R6 and r1's???

sounds like a cool project. i know you guys will hook it up with a great documentary on the build!!!

:metal:

good luck boys!

#22 ·
rock on

I can't really coment on what to do where, but still excited about the prospect.

on a side note, you really should paint the bike in the most scary sceme you can think of. they will be scraed to pass you and ever more scared when you pass them

#23 · (Edited)
Good Idea,

I will get a skeleton race suit made like David Aldena used to use and then get on of those helmet wraps that covers your whole helmet visor and all with like an evil skull for the head.

Put #44 all over the bike and my leathers and fuck...No one will even go near my pit garage. ha ha

Hey I think I will really do that. It will generate a lott of press coverage over here anyway. Good gimic to bring in teh crowd. And keep my ID a secret mwahahahahaha.

Of course when they ask my name I will have to tell them "Hello my name is Mr four" rtanslated its like saying "Hello My name is death!"

Oh Shit! I need to get a nice skeleton air brushed on the side as well. My paint guy can do this no problem. Maybe in a lateral position like one arm reaching forward to the rider in front the other grabbing back at the tail end.

Sounds evil enough?

I should have the frame finished tomorrow if so I will snap soem shots. Next is the swing arm. I think I need to have some one brace it up in the USA not over here.

#27 ·
666 and 888 are good numbers here. 667 would have no efect 44 will.

I will look at the rules.

Hey back tire wise. .....Still up in the air about this issue.

I got a 150 on there wiht a gret looking profile. but bigger than that and I am sunk.

I want to add a larger rear wheel. I think my swing arm can accept a 4.75 or maybe a 5"

other option is to find a larger tire like a 5 or 5.25 5.5 and widen the swingarm. but that seems like way to much hastle.

Bmiller, Spyder any other FZR gurus got a down and dirty answer for me.

I just dont want too much tire for the engine to push A huge tire on that small bike frame might cause more drag than forward momentum I am thinking. I think a 160 or 170 max would do it.

open discussion here what the best solution we can collectively come up with?

I was told go get a 1989 GSXR 1100 rear wheel but try to find one of those!

#29 ·
Just a quick update.

I got the original FZR=40 Frame all stripped down. Ihaev a TZR rear tire now stuffed inteh original FZR-400 Swing arm which I plan to keep. The swinarm is nto stout enough thoughSo i wil hae it gusseted

Also I will have the rear brake caliper moved to the under side fo the swing arm to assist in getting teh cente of gravity even lower.

I want to really concentrate on weight as well as use as much high tech shit on her as I can afford. I can upgrade later on somethings but I want to have a real good base when I am done.

So keping withthat spirit I took teh coating off the frame adn I started to get it polished up. Not here yet but when I am done it will be blindingly shinny. Blinged out to the max.

I figure every bit countrs so no paint on the frame. Its Alluminum and shines up easy enough.

I plan on doing the same for the swingarm as well.

I actually do havea color scheme in mind and this will blend in well.

I don't think of my raceer in the same respect as my fighter so I can go fancy looking for publicity reasons if nothing else.

When I have this bike in the paddock I want people to really take notice of it.

I also got around to taking measurements of the fuel cell. I plan to get a custom aluminum fuel tank made with its own filler on it which will be totally independent of the false fuel tank cover.

I may see if my Carbon Fiber folks wil pitch in a hand and see about getitng the tank cover and fenders out of Carbon Fiber.

Adam any luck digging up that R-1 Front fender?

#30 ·
i didnt know you were looking for it.

yah i have it.

sounds like your making some good progress. i agree with you on not going to big on the rear wheel. a 150 or 60 is good for that bike. i wouldnt go bigger just based on aesthetics. race bike. function over form.

#31 ·
Just a quick update.

I got the original FZR=40 Frame all stripped down. Ihaev a TZR rear tire now stuffed inteh original FZR-400 Swing arm which I plan to keep. The swinarm is nto stout enough thoughSo i wil hae it gusseted

Also I will have the rear brake caliper moved to the under side fo the swing arm to assist in getting teh cente of gravity even lower.

I want to really concentrate on weight as well as use as much high tech shit on her as I can afford. I can upgrade later on somethings but I want to have a real good base when I am done.

So keeping withthat spirit I took the coating off the frame and I started to get it polished up. Not here yet but when I am done it will be blindingly shinny. Blinged out to the max.

I figure every bit countrs so no paint on the frame. Its Alluminum and shines up easy enough.

I plan on doing the same for the swingarm as well.

I actually do havea color scheme in mind and this wil blend in well.

I don't think of my raceer in the same respect as my fighter so I can go fancy looking for publicity reasons if nothing else.

When I have this bike ite hpaddock I want people to really take notice of it.

I also gotaround to takign measurements of teh fuel cell. I pan to get a custom aluminum fuel tank made with its own filler on it which will be totally independent of the false fuel tank cover.

I may see if my Carbon Fiber folks wil pitch in a hand and see about getitng the tank cover and fenders out of Carbon Fiber.

Adam any luck digging up that R-1 Front fender?

#32 ·
yes, i have that fender.... didnt know you were looking for it. want me to box it up??

id stick with a smaller tire on that. no reason to go bigger for aesthetics only. race bike = function over form.

#33 · (Edited)
Adam - Please send the Carbon Fender to Spyder. He has my R-1 Front end right now. If you need cash let me know I will pay pal you for it.

Spyder - when you get it and fit it on fee free to hack some off the back end.. I never liked a front fender that wraps around so much as a stock one and I ALWAYS cut about 4" of the back.

Adam - yeah I just want enough tire in there to work right. I could care less about having a fat looking tire. I am not that vain.

I just want to be able to get in the corners lean her over like a bitch in heat and spin the rear wheel when I need to. ( I think Spyders build on my engine will take care of the tire spinning though he he he)

Here is a pics of the frame as cleaned up as got it now as well as a pic of me racing the 400 last race. I guess these are the before pics

Entering a corner

finally got all the factory coating off. Time to polish her up now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.