Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
161 - 170 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Watched a couple more razor welding videos.

Next time, I'll use aluminum chill blocks and a needle grind on the tungsten.

Tried to figure out why I can't see where I'm going when welding. Bad news is, it's not my hand position. I can see the puddle clearly, but everything outside the arc light is black.

I'll check the shade setting on my helmet, but I know I didn't set it very dark. I've always had poor night vision.
I'm trying to teach myself tig welding while building my first fuel tank.
I also had trouble seeing, the self darkening helmet I had was just too old.
Went to Bunnings and bought a new one with "true colour" and a large lens area for $150.
The only thing was, the head strap was useless and I adapted the old strap to get it working.
Also being a old fart I wear magnifier glasses and the helmet over the top and I also need great light so I only weld in direct sun light.
So simple now I can see, thought I would share. Next will be a bright light on a stand so I can weld inside but don't know what sought of light would be best.
Love what you are doing, thank for all your posts

·
BLACK BELT
7,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
If I needed to repair a side cover, I would clean it the best I can, then go for it.

I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner, or even a parts washer. I could spend a lot of time with acetone and a brush, but it's not going to clean out the decades of grime from the screw holes.

Decided to get a workout and cut some (easy to clean) coupons by hand, since I'm just practicing/learning.

Well, it's definitely different. Started at 125 amps, then 100, ended up at 65 which might be a bit low. Instructor gave me some unknown number filler rod which was shit. I used 4043, but the beads look porous. Was trying to get some 4047, but it's pretty hard to find. Might have to give Roger a call and see what he uses.

For sure, it's the most difficult type of welding I've tried. The large craters are where I tried the shit rod. Still have more cast aluminum to work on. Thanks, Larry! Also want to try welding cast aluminum to billet.

·
Premium Member
50,583 Posts
Made a box tonight. Cut the coupons and welded them together. Not even in the syllabus. Instructor wants everyone to move on at the same time. Says we're not going to weld with filler rod until Monday.

Burned a small hole in my box. Instructor told me to use a little filler rod. "Don't tell anyone."

He said we we're going to test them for water-tightness. Guess he forgot. Maybe tomorrow.

Nice work Smoker!

·
BLACK BELT
7,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
Just about every class, I've been trying new stuff. Definitely more fun than just running beads or butt welds, but my technique isn't getting much better.

Just signed up for Summer semester. Classes are shorter, but one class is 4 days per week for 6 weeks. Good time to work on my technique.

Trying to order some supplies today. Hopefully, I can start on a small metal sculpture this week. Not motorcycle related. Transportation related. I'm sure I could do it with oxy-acetylene, but I want to try it with TIG.

·
BLACK BELT
7,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
Thought of a good challenge for school tomorrow.

Will try to TIG braze two 1/16" ER70 rods together lengthwise.

Also bought a copper toilet float to try TIG brazing.

Thinner than rice paper, Grasshopper.

·
BLACK BELT
7,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Both of this weeks challenges are practice for the metal sculpture.

Using this photo from Sebspeed for cast welding motivation. Pretty sure he's done a bunch of clutch windows. Probably rude to ask him for tips, since it's his livelyhood.

Been reading about peening and making cleaning passes. Definitely will be ordering 4047 filler rod to try.

161 - 170 of 170 Posts