Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Custom Fighter Welding School

12K views 233 replies 20 participants last post by  Smoker 
#1 ·
May as well get the welding talk out of my build thread.

This will be a good place to organize my welding projects, show my gear, and post my progress.

Have less than a month before I get into 2 open lab classes. Pretty sure I can do whatever I want, which is TIG welding my custom bikes & parts. Need to learn how first, but I should get my projects in order ASAP and develop a plan.

Even if I don't get good enough to do the finish welding, I need to fabricate and tack together the parts. Looking forward to making some progress on the bikes!

#5 ·
Well, let me say this is bullshit.

I'm using a standard Victor O/A torch. It's 2022 FFS. Where's the damn digital torch? At least give me some kind of flowmeter on the torch, so I can easily repeat the flame precisely.

Searched, and didn't find anything. No wonder it takes time to get good.

#35 ·
I'm just in the process of teaching myself TIG and the sheild gas is a flow control/ with flow metering built in to the bottle regulator. I remeber the regs on the gas welding sets I used 30 odd yrs ago were pressure based, but as pressure and flow are directly proportional I'm surprised that this isnt being done somewhere by somebody already. But then again, once youve got your head around how much heat to put into a given piece I'm sure youll develop a feel for how much gas to use. I comes quicker than you expect. Nice little box btw. If i make anything half as neat with the tig I'll be amazed.

#6 · (Edited)
I think you'll find you get good at whacking the flame to what you want pretty fast. I hadn't used one in years, and never learned how to use one properly, but I made out okay doing some bodywork stuff recently just knowing that I needed to add oxygen until I had a hard cone-shaped flame. Quickly seems natural like putting binoculars to your face and focusing them.

Knowing how much gas I should start with to end up with a correct mixture flowing enough to do what I was trying to do took a bit longer, especially since it's hard to move along at a consistent speed early on.

#10 ·
Well, I think I could design valves to replace the standard needle valves on the torch. You could just twist the collars like a torque wrench to click on a specific flow.

Last night was okay. Lecture night, but no lecture- just straight to the lab. Guess the instructor is trying to make up the days lost in the first week. Layed down 10-12 beads on two 1/16 inch steel coupons. I think my torch needs rebuilding. Can't get the flame hot enough, now. Taking too long to puddle up and move metal. Did okay, though.

Moving on to the next project tonight, which is an outside corner joint. Will have to finish project #1 later. Definitely don't have 6 perfect beads, yet.

Very comfortable in my safety gear. Pretty much the same as my anesthesia gear. But, I keep wishing I could poke someone with a needle.💉

#12 ·
Oh, this is good. The midterm exam is the day after tomorrow. Crazy.

So, the midterm is open-book. Instructor said he's going to go into his office. And said he's going to stay there. "Just in case we need to discuss the answers".

WTF kind of college is this? Evidently, I expect way too much.

Well, actually, I like it! I'm just looking for a good time. Can hardly wait to melt some metal, tonight.

#18 ·
Tonight was interesting. There's good news and bad news.

The bad news is I wasted my time for the past 2 nights.

On the first night, my torch was so hot, the cone was about 3/4" away from the metal. Past 2 nights, I got no hot flame. I'm searching the torch schematic, looking to see if there are o-rings or something replaceable in the valves. Nothing.

Tonight the torch seemed cold again, so I tried my best to burn a hole. Couldn't do it, so I knew the torch was bad. Got the instructor, who figured out the tip was dirty.

Good news is, I cleaned out the tip, and instantly I can weld like a MF!

Did my Corner Joint project. Need 1, did 5. Also did the Puddling project. The portable light I got is great. Will post some pics tomorrow.

#19 ·
Everytime the instructor tells me anything, it starts with "Don't you do it like this." or "Don't tell anyone else."

I haven't turned in my projects. If we have free time, I can always try a do-over. Just need to turn them in before the last class.

Learned on the Outside Corner project not to stay to long on the peak, and to bring the puddle farther down on the sides for better penetration. Didn't understand that when I welded these coupons. Have better penetration now.

Not cleaned up.

#22 ·
Everytime the instructor tells me anything, it starts with "Don't you do it like this." or "Don't tell anyone else."

I haven't turned in my projects. If we have free time, I can always try a do-over. Just need to turn them in before the last class.

Learned on the Outside Corner project not to stay to long on the peak, and to bring the puddle farther down on the sides for better penetration. Didn't understand that when I welded these coupons. Have better penetration now.

Not cleaned up.

This is TIG welded or O/A? Man, this is IMPRESSIVE! I am amazed!! My stick skills are inexistent compared to this.

#20 · (Edited)
Made a box tonight. Cut the coupons and welded them together. Not even in the syllabus. Instructor wants everyone to move on at the same time. Says we're not going to weld with filler rod until Monday.

Burned a small hole in my box. Instructor told me to use a little filler rod. "Don't tell anyone."

He said we we're going to test them for water-tightness. Guess he forgot. Maybe tomorrow.

#25 · (Edited)
Instructor told us to finish the Box project tonight. Mine was done last night. I could do another one, but I'd rather do something new.

I go into his office and ask him if I can try to weld a skully into the side of my box. He stared at me for a good 3 seconds, and said- FUCK YEAH!!! I'm guessing no one ever asked him that.

It was fun because I didn't move the box. I welded forehand, backhand, up & down without changing the torch position. Fusion welding, no rod.

#27 ·
In this class, all projects come from the syllabus and instructor. So, I can't start cutting other metal, or bringing in my own stuff. He won't even let me jump ahead to the next project. Easier to teach everyone at once.

Only 14 more days in this class. Then, 2 days per week in the open lab where I can do what I want.

Already have a good sized box of aluminum and steel coupons for TIG practice. Got plenty of sheet, steel tubes the same thickness as the RZ frame, and steel pie cuts similar to expansion chamber tubing.

Also noticed at school they have a large supply of .063" 6061. I'm sure they cut it into coupons for practice. Just wondering if it would work well for a custom fuel tank.👍

#30 ·
So, I already told the instructor that I'm mostly interested in TIG welding aluminum, titanium, and steel. Also TIG brazing.

Last night I asked him if they have propane. Told him I'd like to learn to color anodize titanium and stainless. He liked the idea.

Bad news, though. No propane, and I'm sure the O/A heating torch is way too hot. He said butane would be okay to use, but I don't think a butane torch is the right tool. MAPP gas would be good, but he didn't mention it. I'll ask next time.

If I have to buy my own gas, torch, and coupons- I may as well do it at home.

#32 ·
Yeah, I thought of that, too. But, I wouldn't be using an O/A heating torch at home. I should learn with the tools I'll be using. I'm thinking propane or MAPP gas only.

To my knowledge, color anodizing doesn't noticeably affect corrosion resistance. When applying heat, the colors start with straw, and end with purple, then blue, then light blue. If you go past light blue, the polished metal turns dull gray. Dull gray is too far and will reduce the corrosion resistance. It can still be reversed by re-polishing off the burned oxidation. After repolishing, heat anodizing can be repeated.

#37 · (Edited)
Already thinking about welding titanium. I'll try to talk to the instructor tomorrow to start getting info.

I'm guessing that they don't teach Ti welding at all, even in the occupational welding program, due to costs. When I mentioned Ti welding before, he said something about me buying my own coupons/supplies.

Looked around online. Only titanium coupons I could find were .040 flats and they're sold out. So, none. Plenty of pie cuts available, ready to weld, but around $10 usd EACH. Okay if I'm making something, but that's too much for practice. I'll probably buy a sheet & tube and cut my own coupons.

Tubing & pie cuts are nice, because the back purge setup is easy. For sheet/plate, I'll probably need to make a purge cup. I saw a small one for sale, I think 4" x 4" for around $300 usd. So, fuck that. Will probably need to make my own. Still won't be cheap. I think the box can be stainless, but the top might need to be perforated titanium sheet which is expensive.

I'm not talking about an argon chamber, which would be awesome, just a low profile box for the coupons to sit on top of. Could also be used for stainless, with another stainless perforated top. Even if they have a purge box at school, I'll need one to practice at home.

Thinking I should do mostly titanium and stainless welding at school, because it probably uses twice the argon vs. welding aluminum or steel.

#39 ·
Hey Pete, take this for what it's worth, which isn't much ... :D

I'm fully self taught with TIG. You saw in the build-off thread I'm welding titanium. I would say it is exactly the same as stainless with the exception that it has to be shielded for a little longer, so I just weld a few inches at a time and let the post flow cool the part before moving on. Stainless is exactly like mild steel except it has to be back purged. See what I am getting at? Once you can weld mild you can weld titanium. The only difference in feel is that titanium seems to be slightly gummy, not sure how else to explain it. The filler rod wants to stick to the puddle. It certainly could be my technique though.

Don't buy a back purge, make your own out of stainless and fill it full of stainless steel wool. You already have the machine, use it to make exactly what you need. I don't think the screen needs to be perforated titanium. The videos I watched said just don't make it out of mild since it can contaminate titanium.

I bought a pack of these, they are not long, but the price seems reasonable. 4 pcs. Titanium Ti Gr.2 Gr2 Grade 2 ASTM B265 Plate Sheet 3.5" x 1.02" x .040" | eBay

I have some cutoff and scrap pieces I'd be happy to send your way if you want some to practice on. PM me your address if so.

#40 ·
Hey Pete, take this for what it's worth, which isn't much ... :D
Thanks, my dude. Definitely appreciate any and all input!

Planning on making my own back purge. Been looking at all kinds of stainless baking and utility trays. Need to find the right size, but should cost $10 - $15. Weld in a couple of pieces for the top to sit on, holes for argon tubes, etc.

Honestly, I'm sure I'll be able to weld pretty quickly. But, it's only going to allow me to tack my projects together. To do finish welding on my bikes, the beads should be very high quality. And, they all are- because they were done by Roger the master welder.

So, there is my challenge. Could I get good enough in a short time? I don't need to do every kind of welding on every kind of material, like Roger.

So for now, I'm all in. That's why I'm pushing hard & asking lots of questions. Let's see how far I get.

If I have to pay someone to do the finish welding, it's okay. If I had someone like Roger or Dimestak around, I wouldn't even think of doing the finish welding myself.

Thanks for offering up some Ti. Not quite there, yet. Where did you get the Ti tubing for your exhaust? What tool did you use to cut it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.