Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a dealer, I'm always on the lookout for some new parts to provide. Throughout the process of building my fighter, I've been looking off and on for a provider of fighter style subframes - basically something to shorten it up a bit, eliminate the plastic, and just overall look cool. I haven't found anything yet.

So, let me ask you all this... Assuming that it looks cool, assuming that it's priced right, if I were to start fabbing tubular subframes specific to each bike - do you think there'd be a market for it? Also, assuming that your response might be, yeah, that'd be sweet - what would it be worth to you? And just so we're on the same page - I'm talking for a complete bolt on tail section, complete with taillights and signals -- you'd just remove your old plastics, seats, and subframe - then bolt on the new subframe, bolt your seats into it, and wire up the lighting.

Any suggestions?

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
2001 Gix 600? :rock: Just the subframe itself...I am custom making my own solo tail, lights, etc.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DougZ said:
2001 Gix 600? :rock: Just the subframe itself...I am custom making my own solo tail, lights, etc.
Maybe I'm not following, but what do you want a custom tubular subframe for if you're making you're own solo tail?

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
its a cool idea, but I'm not sure the market is there. just because most fighter guys want soemthign different. it would have to be on a case by case type thing

but if your looking at low volume type stuff, I think that the sub $200 pricing bracket is where its at. just a tubular tail section that bolts right up.... no plastic, no tail section.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
From what I've seen, custom parts specifically for fighter bikes rarely sell well. Of course, you've got an established business so the experimentation might be helpful.

You'd have to take into consideration other things that mount to the subframe... battery trays, rectifiers, seats. To make a subframe for my bike you'd need to make the subframe, a mounting place for the rectifier, a battery tray with a mudguard, and a taillight.

$150-200 would be a good price if it was bare metal. I would suggest leaving the taillight and signal options open so people can bolt on their favorite lights.

If you need a donor Hayabusa let me know ;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree with Haelo. If you can create a subframe kit that comes with a battery tray for around $200, I'm sure there'd be some interest. Even if the battery tray doesn't have mounting points for electronics (rectifier, fuse box, etc) it would still be a great addition. One of the hardest parts of installing a custom tail section is being able to mount all the imporatnt things that the bike needs to run. By including a piece for that purpose that fits the aftermarket subframe (battery tray/box or whatever else) you will have saved the builder a big headache.

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
fatboyz said:
Maybe I'm not following, but what do you want a custom tubular subframe for if you're making you're own solo tail?
The solo tail is just the fiberglass body part....it still needs a supporting subframe. I don't have access to the right welding equipment, or I would make my own. LOL

A tubular design would look much better than the stock one.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DougZ said:
The solo tail is just the fiberglass body part....it still needs a supporting subframe. I don't have access to the right welding equipment, or I would make my own. LOL

A tubular design would look much better than the stock one.
Gotcha, I would've just suggested that you use the stock one and just remove the passenger section if that's what you're looking to do - I see what you're saying though.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Sevulturus' idea is definitely an option. When I get some more equipment I'm going to start building subframes for some of the more popular streetfighter bikes.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,755 Posts
i like your idea...but im gonna tell you this:

be careful what you post up as far as ideas go. if you havent put this idea into production yet, there are people out there who may not post here, but do read, that are able to make and put out your idea faster than you may be.

:twocents:

but i'll take one for both my bikes please!! and i may know someone who may be able to help you sell them of course. :D

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Yeah Sanitys and I are gonna make subframes with his MIG welder thats like 4 hours from me and the $30 we have between us.

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
I've had a similar idea. The big bitch is getting a hold of all the different bikes you want to make them for. There's a lot that would go into it. More of a universal piece would be ideal I think. But then you either have to come up with some sort of bracket system for all these bikes that not only is stong, but doesn't look out of place. If I were to go through with it, I'd rather offer them as either one off or limited run units. I think it would be more profitable in the end.

·
746 Posts
You could make them one offs per bike. Then as customers with the same bike as a previous guy want them, you already have the specs.

BTW: first post, decent time lurking. Hi.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,755 Posts
WELCOME TO THE SITE BAILZ

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Everyone seems really stuck on solo tails. Personally I think that if it's done well with a custom seat pan you could make a really trimmed down version of a two-seat tail that might not be overly comfortable for the passenger but it'd at least suffice.

Then again, that's just me and I want room for a chic. lol

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
I won't do anything with dual seats because I have no idea if my subframe is going to hold two people. I have more confidence that it would hold one person.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts