Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oK, so I've been given some $$ to buy a cutting/welding torch setup - I want both, not just one or the other.

What brand is a good one? I'd like to steer away from the Chineese harbor frieght specials, but I don't really need top of the line either, just a reliable, long lasting one. Anybody have good or bad experience with one brand or another?

I have about $150 to spend - and that doesnt really need to get me the tanks and dolly, I can get them later.

·
fukstik
1,154 Posts
hey candyman, i don't really know much just personal experience......first ask yourself whats your plan with the welder/ torch? steel, alunium, lot of cutting? my experience has been torches are really only good for dirty work. we just used one to cut off the axle mounts on our camper when we were upgrading the axles (worked great for that but used a stick welder to put the new ones on). back in the early days you could weld alunium with oxy/acy (brother's last boss sent him to michigan to learn how to using one to fix up 1934 bentley to keep it "real") he ended up coughing up the money and buying a nice tig for a few grand so jason could actually get something accomplished. so after a few years of jason having his own shop he got his own tig. (what he used to weld some shite on superbeast). anyway i guess to keep it short i like using the wirefed welder for welding steel. it is a simple unit and has a high/low range and a speed dial for the wire feeding. (a side note if you buy wire do NOT get the shit at harbor freight it welds with lots of splatter and very rough i only get lincoln now) and as far as cutting i put a blade on my circular saw for metal (cuts 3/16 metal like butter just take it easy) and other stuff i use a cut off wheel on an air powered diegrinder. i have had a torch setup for years at my dad's but never reached for it when i needed something done.

off topic: how's the baby thing going? getting much sleep? :D .are you still trying to sell your bike? if you still have it do you plan on coming down to the open house on the 19th? i think the wifey is away and if the weather holds out you can crash (no pun intended) at my house and ride back sunday. we usually ride sundays and could prolly head up your way toward lewistown/mifflintown then head back.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
My oxy/acetyline was awesome for cutting but it was completely useless for welding. It was like chasing my food with a club.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i enjoy fusion welding with a torch setup. the only real difference between welding and the cutting is a certain attachment that we use that ups the oxygen to cut the metal...

its all pretty much the same tho. home depot or lowes can get you a pretty cheap kit, but i would just save up for a mig or something and it be really worth it...

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
Yep, cutting torch is cool to have, but redundant if you have a good grinder with a cutoff wheel. oxy/acetyline torch is also pretty pointless, much better to use a mig for pretty much everything, and a tig for finer welds or aluminum in my experience.

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I basically consider a torch a must-have. It'll give me an afforable way to do everything I want to. I can't afford a welder quite yet, and angle griders/ciruclar saws only cut straight lines and you eat through blades fast, and whatelse can you use to bend steel?

Plus I learned old school. The guy who taught me welding has been alive almost as long as welding has. Seriosuly the guy was pushing 90. He taught stick only, and I'm completly sold on it. MIGs are cheap nowhere near as versitile as a stick. Fine for quick spot welds , but you may as well have the stick.
TIG's are just out of the question. I paid $50 to have my subframe TIG welded and it looked like crap, I'd rather be able to do small jobs like that with oxy/acty.

That all being said, what I was really looking for was what you guys thought about brands and good sources to get affordable decent quality kits.

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sprbeast said:
off topic: how's the baby thing going? getting much sleep? :D .are you still trying to sell your bike? if you still have it do you plan on coming down to the open house on the 19th? i think the wifey is away and if the weather holds out you can crash (no pun intended) at my house and ride back sunday. we usually ride sundays and could prolly head up your way toward lewistown/mifflintown then head back.

Baby is doing great man, thanks for askin. She's awesome, and gets cuter everyday.

I'll have the bike for sale by june for sure, depends on when I can get it painted. I suppose I could sell it now if someone made me a good offer, but I wanted to paint her first.
I did'nt know about an openhouse, I assume its at your brothers shop? I'll keep it in mind, I might be busy that weekend though. Thanks for the invite.

Hey, if you want to ride WV there is a group of us planing on going down on June 2. You could come donw to my place fri night and crash there, even sat night too if you wanted. We're plannin on putting 450 miles or more on in WV. Its with the SCPMC guys. Let me know.

·
Naked from the waste down
1,334 Posts
Candyman said:
Thanks guys. I basically consider a torch a must-have. It'll give me an afforable way to do everything I want to. I can't afford a welder quite yet, and angle griders/ciruclar saws only cut straight lines and you eat through blades fast, and whatelse can you use to bend steel?

Plus I learned old school. The guy who taught me welding has been alive almost as long as welding has. Seriosuly the guy was pushing 90. He taught stick only, and I'm completly sold on it. MIGs are cheap nowhere near as versitile as a stick. Fine for quick spot welds , but you may as well have the stick.
TIG's are just out of the question. I paid $50 to have my subframe TIG welded and it looked like crap, I'd rather be able to do small jobs like that with oxy/acty.

That all being said, what I was really looking for was what you guys thought about brands and good sources to get affordable decent quality kits.

Dude, go and get some books on welding basics. Learn about what welders do what and what performs in which way.

You can't compair a set of tanks to a mig and surely can't compair to a tig. Just because some fucktard raped you for $50 doesn't mean tig is a rip off. A tig weld is one of the most beautiful things. But to each his own.

Personally I could do 10X more with a $30 die grinder, $80 Sawzall knock off and a $500 Mig then you'll ever do with two tanks and a cutting attachment. Not only faster but cleaner, with little amounts of heat warping your matieral.

When was the last time you saw a 90 year with efficiency?

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tommy Pantsdown said:
Personally I could do 10X more with a $30 die grinder, $80 Sawzall knock off and a $500 Mig then you'll ever do with two tanks and a cutting attachment. Not only faster but cleaner, with little amounts of heat warping your matieral.

I happen to know someone who could take you up on that challange and school you:LolLolLolLol:

I just spent all winter practicing welding stick, mig, using a torch, and even a bit of tig; so I know a bit about welding basics and what can be done with what.

A torch, and a decent stick welder will give me the best bang for my buck for the things I'll need to do. So thats what I'm looking to get.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
Okay, I'm gonna chime in only because this topic is something I know a LOT about as I'm a state certified structural steel welder with a background in welding processes, basic machining, and general metal fabrication.

For starters Candy, you are so ass backwards on this topic that you don't know which fucking way is up man. For real.

Saying that you can do anything with stick welding that someone else can do with other processes is proof positive that you actually DON'T know about welding.

EXAMPLE?

Let me explain why...

For structural work stick is fine depending on the application. Most places that you will be welding a lot of pipe will have you running stick. But for flat welds? It's just too fucking slow.

Flux is the preferred process for a reason. It will do EVERYTHING stick welding will do, and it will do it better, with less inclusion, less grinding and finishing, and in 1/100th of the time.

Wire feed? Retarded quick, good penetration, relatively clean if setup right, but most of all, very small heat affected zone. This is why we use 75/25 gas and 23/30 wire for chopping tops on hot rods. Realistically its the best process you'll find for thin metals if you need something done quickly. Pop down a tack, tap it with a hammer to release shrink tension and move on. Then stitch 1" welds on a 3" pitch along the cab. Go back and refill the second and then the third inch. That way you don't end up warping the fucking hell out of your cab... WHICH YOU WILL WITH YOUR OXY ACETYLENE SETUP.

TIG? CLEAN welds, with likely NO finishing required. Very controlled in the right hands. Aesthetically pleasing and they get the job done, but again, there's a larger heat effected zone with TIG, and it equires a LOT of prep work to do it right.

You talk all about cutting and how your cut torch is the only thing worth having... well, apparently you should stop running your gums and go out and try some plasma, waterjet, and laser cutting.

FACT: WELDING SCHOOLS STILL TEACH OXY ACETYLENE FOR ONE REASON AND ONE REASON ONLY... BECAUSE IT"S THE CRAWLING STEP TO LEARNING TO WELD USING COMMON PROCESSES NOW FOUND, AND TEACHES YOU TO CONTROL HEAT INPUT TO PARENT METALS AND FILLER METAL ADDITION, PUSHING VS. PULLING, ETC. ALL SKILLS USED IN TIG, MIG, STICK, FLUX, HIGH DEP, SPRAY, RESISTANCE AND SUBMERSION WELDING.

So the next time you want to come on here swinging the dingy around acting like you're a pro at something make sure you know what you're talking about. Sometime someone might call you on it.

Just remember kiddo... there's a reason that 99.9% of the shops in the world that hire welders don't even ASK if you know how to oxy/stick weld when you go for an interview... it's because they are dead processes that are only used in specific shops.

PS: I'd love to take your buddy up on the challenge by the way.

I'll be sure to send him the blueprint for my entire 34' Ford pickup chassis, all the custom fabbed parts, and all the work to be done to the cab in terms of chopping, channeling, frenching, and sectioning. Of course, you'll help him do it all with a stick welder and an oxy setup, right?

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sheeeeze man, cool down. What'd I do to run you up?

Let me digress here. Maybe I came off sounding like a know it ALL, but thats not what I think of myself. I know more than your average joe, and don't appreciate it when people talk to me like I know nothing, but I know I'm no expert either. Sorry if I came across that way.

All I'm saying is I know what jobs I need to do and what tools will best serve me when I consider the jobs to do, the cost of tools, and all the other factors UNIQUE TO MY SITUATION.

As for the validity of the different welding processes... you obviosly know what you're talking about and have very valid points. Yes, MIG is the leading welding method in the industry... but I'm not in a industry now.
Yes, TIG is no questions asked the fastest, cleanest way to weld things like alluminum if you have the $$ to get a setup... but I'm not made of money.
MIG is faster, sure, but I'm in no hurry.

Plazma, waterjet, lazer, FRIG ya those are awesome ways of cutting! But who the HECk can afford to have one of those in their garage? I sure can't. I'd rather do it myself-heck we all have that mindset here thats why we build fighters.

The fact is, oxy/acetlyene CAN do many things. No, its not the best way for every application, but it CAN be used. Its what I'll use, because its what will work best for my situation.

And, Please don't call me kiddo. Seriously.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Honestly for cutting.....I didnt use oxy acetaline or how ever its spelt. I had an oxygen tank and a propane tank. Propane cuts ALOT faster than an acetaline torch.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Made that post before i saw cafe racer go on a pointless rant. Candyman never acted like he knew everything. He was saying what HE needed for HIS situation. He knows what he will be doing with the equipment he gets. If he had a man thats 90 fuckin years old teach him how to stick weld and use a torch then awesome and the old dude probably can do anything you can do with all ur fancy 1000+ dollar stuff.....remember...hes been welding probably for about 75 years "kiddo". After uve been doing something for THAT long you start getting pretty fucking good at it id guess....and also find other ways to use what your using. Dont assume your better at something than someone else just because your shit is newer and maybe better. Its like taking a new car to a race and thinking its gonna beat every old car there.

·
Registered
526 Posts
And by the way.....custom fighters isnt the place to come to flame on people. If your educated in welding and no alot about it then tell him what you know that can help him. Dont talk to him like hes a piece of shit and doesnt know anything at all. If he thought he knew all there is to know about welding im pretty sure he wouldnt have even made this thread.

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers Nun, I appriciate the post.

·
fukstik
1,154 Posts
Candyman said:
Sheeeeze man, cool down. What'd I do to run you up?
:Stupid:

i mean ......really! :wtf: time for a chill pill. candyman has been around here for a while and never spouted off about being a know it all when it comes to anything. ever. cut the man some slack. he was just asking for some input. and what he does with the tools is his business.

otherwise post up some pics of this 34' ford. i am intrigued. please tell me that a chevy shortblock wasn't dropped in it! for some reason people always want to do that sh*t and it p*sses me off.:D

·
fukstik
1,154 Posts
Candyman said:
I did'nt know about an openhouse, I assume its at your brothers shop? I'll keep it in mind, I might be busy that weekend though. Thanks for the invite.

Hey, if you want to ride WV there is a group of us planing on going down on June 2. You could come donw to my place fri night and crash there, even sat night too if you wanted. We're plannin on putting 450 miles or more on in WV. Its with the SCPMC guys. Let me know.

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4133

and as far as june 2nd i believe i am heading to arizona to visit my inlaws and maybe a little something else which i will keep ya'll posted on.:D

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
drunkNun said:
And by the way.....custom fighters isnt the place to come to flame on people. If your educated in welding and no alot about it then tell him what you know that can help him. Dont talk to him like hes a piece of shit and doesnt know anything at all. If he thought he knew all there is to know about welding im pretty sure he wouldnt have even made this thread.

Well said! This is one of the first sites I've ever been on where everyone tries to help each other. It's one of the reasons I come here everyday. There is no need for that shit here. Yeah people bust each others balls but it's all in good fun. Just share your knowledge and don't belittle people because they me know less than you.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
Candyman, the way the thread was responded to by you before my post very clearly gave the impression that you thought you knew your shit.

You claimed that the setup you want will do everything that anything else will.

Someone disagreed and you replied with a story about how you learned "old school" from a guy who knows everything "cause he's like 90 years old." ;)

My apologies if you think I busted your balls a bit too hard, but you gotta admit, you did come off that way.

You came in here asking for advice on what setup to get.

Someone offered up the idea that you may have been mislead about what you can conceivably do with a gas setup, and you threw it back in their face with that story.

Honestly, you WON'T be happy with a gas setup.

Shit man, you're talking about spending $150.00... go to a garage sale and get a small 135A wire feeder for that money. Use a cutoff or an angle grinder to do your cutting.

Your posts very clearly outline that you think that everyone who does really good work has a whole machine shop in their garage. That's 100% incorrect. I know more than one person who can build damn near anything with a drill press, a small welder, an angle grinder, and a rule.

As for everyone else's replies, oh well. When someone else asks for advice and then throws the advice they asked for back in the persons face you'll get the same response.

Don't bother asking for advice if you already know what answer you're fishing for. :rollseyes:

Oh, and in response to one of Candys questions, theres no "good" brand. Oxy acetylene setups are so bland and useless 99% of the time that every setup you find will likely be 99% identical.

PS: To everyone who claims I belittled someone just to show I know more, bullshit. I was simply pointing out my qualifications because someone else had tried to give him some advice and he argued with them for it.

Point being, Candy, you learned to weld from someone who failed to really expose you to the idea on why no one uses OA anymore.

Do yourself a favor and spend the $$ on a small used wire feed setup and some basic fabrication tools. :D

Cheers.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
sprbeast said:
:Stupid:

i mean ......really! :wtf: time for a chill pill. candyman has been around here for a while and never spouted off about being a know it all when it comes to anything. ever. cut the man some slack. he was just asking for some input. and what he does with the tools is his business.

otherwise post up some pics of this 34' ford. i am intrigued. please tell me that a chevy shortblock wasn't dropped in it! for some reason people always want to do that sh*t and it p*sses me off.:D
No 350/350 combo on this one. I agree... the shit factor on that one is through the roof!

It's getting a 59' Pontiac 389 with 2 4's and a 4 speed (possibly a 6 speed Richmond if I can justify it to the bank account).

Custom 2x6 chassis with a smooth 7" "Z" (but not really Z'd, you'd need to see the prints) and a mediocre kick up in the rear.

4" channel, 2" section and a 4" chop with a front heavy slight rake on the cab, shortened box with a wooden base and a track up the left side for the bike of choice. I think a truck should be able to actually haul shit.

Olds 10 bolt posi 2.56 rear end and a early 40's Ford front end with juice, buick alu. finned brakes and some tall wheels with medium width cheaters on the rear (7.5" probably).

Paint will be rootbeer brown candy with a hint of orange pearl over a orange metaflake on metallic silver base. The firewall, frame, grille slats, wheels, etc. will all be a creme tone with a champagne metalflake. Think big ass rootbeer float. :)

So yeah, I won't be doing any boring ass 350/350 combo. It's not slammed, it's retarded fast, and it will look classic. The way a real hot rod should. (I'm so sick of "rat rods" that I could puke. Nothing more disappointing than a nice 28-35 body that has potential being left a rusty piece of shit.:()

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.