Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys first started this thread in general fighter discussion and figured it was in wrong place so startin over here.

Whats up fellas. Just bought a 01 GSXR 1000 last night and have alot of plans and with that i am sure i will have alot of questions. I have been riding my Bandit for a couple years now and wanted to get something a little bigger. I took $2500 outta my 401k to use to start with. I was actually looking for a 750 when i came across this 1000 that I talked the guy down to 1000 bucks, which I couldn't pass up. So that leaves me about 1500 left. For the most part bike seems in good shape for the money. Has some minor things here and there that I figured would need fixed or replaced but doesnt seem like anything major. It has 29000 on the odo. One thing that it does seem to be doing is when I have it in Neutral and release the clutch lever there is kinda like a grinding or clankin noise. When I hold in the lever there is no noise. And when I take off riding it, it just kinda takes off suddenly. I researched this on here and found a thread with some suggestions so i am gonna try those out and see what happens. Rear brake dont work and subframe is broke where it connects to the frame. Also some strange wiring but all in all excited to get started and here is some pics of it now.

Just got home.

This is my first build and as I said before i look forward to all suggetions as i am sure i will get them. :rock: :suzuki:

·
Fighterering since 1998
1,204 Posts
good platform!! now get to work!

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
Sweet deal mang. That sure is a goofy looking stock subframe, mix of straight and bend square tube, and some round tube to boot. I can't wait for you to get rid of the electrical tape dildo though.

·
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok got some basics done, oil/filter change, drain, replace coolant, new plugs, cleaned air filter(dirty as fuck) and also got rid of the electrical tape dildo.. re-routed the wires up under the tank. Got a showyomoto mask on its way from Devil_Boy and workin on the clutch parts. Still thinkn what to do with tail, GF likes to ride so lookn at goin 2 up. Any suggestions. Thinkn maybe 06 CBR tail?

Poor thing was suffocating.

Dildo opened up.

Wire mess re-routed up under tank.

·
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok been waitin till today to get bike all legal and shit before I spend any more money on parts. Was sold lien sale to the guy I bought it from and been awhile since it was legal. Was expecting to pay heavy price here in Cali to get it legal but for the price I paid it was worth it. Then went to DMV today cause i dont wanna spend any more cash on bike till it is all mine in the clear and sure enough DMV is now closed on Fridays cause California is run by Idiots and cant afford to pay their employees so i will have to leave work and do this on Mon. Planned on buying some shit this weekend but just cant do it till bike is in my name. Think I am gonna go with a 04-05 GSXR 600-750 tail so anyone got one to sell let me know. I need seats latch, rear hump, light, basically everything but subframe. i also need a clutch and rear brake master cylinder. You got some shit please hit me up, thanks.

·
Agent Darkcyde
65 Posts
dont got no shit...lol...but good luck on the build...

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Looks good so far man, good luck with the DMV!

·
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Didnt have any parts to throw on this weekend so decided to prep the tank a bit. Sanded off Suzuki decals and stripes. Filled a couple dents and plan to throw on a coat of primer tommorow or tonight. :suzuki::rock:

·
jamal avatar #1
3,443 Posts
mold the clay picasso.
gixxer1ks are good clay:)

·
Agent Darkcyde
65 Posts
looking good man keep it up...love the gixxer 1xxx's...

·
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, I am currently waiting for a R6 Tail/subframe that i bought from spyder. Have a seat, grips also on the way. Still shitloads of things to do but will throw up some more pics when the tail shows up. next i plan to buy a rear brake master cylinder and clutch basket, springs ect. If anyone has either and want to get rid of hit me up. Thanks:rock:

·
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so been messing with the clutch lately so it has been distracting me cause i like to get one thing done before I move on to the next, but my tail/subframe showed up today from spyder so ofcourse I couldn't help myself and get the old one off and start figuring how I am gonna mount this thing.:rock:

·
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No new pics but today I did get the clutch put back together. Been tryn to figure out how I am gonna get this R6 tail to mate up with my Gixxer frame and its fucking with my head. I cut the old tabs off the Gixxer subframe and will try to get them welded to the R6 frame then try and figure out a bracket for the bottom braces.

·
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok decided to run out and take some pics to better explain what I am talkin about.

My tabs off the Gixxer subframe that I started to prep to have welded onto R6 subframe

As you can see the R6 subframe is just a hair to wide to mate up with the Gixxer main frame which is why I decided to use the tabs off my old Gixxer subframe since I needed to cut and relocate these anyway

The lower braces are off set perfectly that if they were only longer they would bolt right up to main frame but they are gonna be a little short so I was thinkn about just makin a bracket to connect the two. I don't think I could just add a bit of square tube with the tab on end.
Could use any suggestions from you guys that have done a subframe swap before and encountered these problems and what you may have done.:rock::suzuki:

·
863 Posts
thats what tie down straps and a propane torch are for, or even just straps

the subframe will bend that much easily, especially if you put a block in there before any welds, cross wise, so it bends just after the wood. ive done it before

tlr sub on an 03 gix6 frame has the exact same issue

took barely any tweaking at all, once you got the strap taught and start to pull, take it nice and slow and easy, it will go where you want it to fine

ive bent a fuck load of subs back into shape, they are like gumby man, go easy on them and be smooth

honestly that close and i would just squeeze it together manually, ive done that too, but sometimes people get particular about the sub acting like a spring and exerting forces on the tab mounts they were not originally intended for, but ive dont that too, and shit worked fine. more likely to crack if you go down hard because of the stored energy, but thats so slight, you can get it in there just like i described above

1 - 20 of 108 Posts