Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this 1997 TL1000S last year, it being bone stock at the time, knowing that I would eventually be "fightering" it:

but ultimately it was so much fun to ride that it seemed I would never get this project off the ground. I was sure that this last winter was start time but one head gasket (1985 C10) and that6 was all shot to hell.

I had changed the exhaust to some cheap Dan Moto offerings and ultimately decide that they were going to be my shape driven inspiration for what I refer to as my "vision" LOL:

So the diamond shape it is...been looking for options and I think I have found a couple...

Needless to say I am excited about getting this thing going as it is my first fighter build...although I have some build experience with a chop that a built a few years ago:

Other absolutes: Shorten the bike body up and keep it cheap!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I appreciate the picture fix on the previous post...I couldn't figure out how to put it up right.:LolLolLolLol:

Recent purchase of all the tupperware will force me to work on it now...although it kind of looks like that motorcycle robot from the Terminator, Ha!

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
Get something to replace the stock rear suspension asap.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Subscribed!...

I really like that exhaust! Going to have to take a look at those for future projects...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I started the cut on the tail section, noting special here but making some progress

I think I'm going to have to add some cross bracing here as it does not appear that the tail will fit properly with the bar across the back at what...3 inches high. No Tig so it'll have to be bolt on and stout!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The damn memory stick in the camera has crashed, which means the camera crashed...which means all the build pictures for the tail section have apparently been lost. That being said, and until I can prove otherwise, here's a couple recap pictures from my phone, after the fact...

Initially I procured some aluminum flat stock from the local Lowe's and bolted, cut, and fit 2 additional cross beams to the sub-frame so that I could remove some more material from it without compromising the structural aspect of it. Some tedious grinding, significant trimming of the fender and relocation of the APS all ended up necessary to improve the open feel between the under-tail and tire.

This ultimately allowed me to remove the rest of the sub-frame that was above the relatively straight portion.

The upper & lower cross beams also gave me a great location to bolt the '08 Yamaha R6 tail. It has an integrated tail light and a passenger seat but no structural support so its completely cosmetic. Stout for what it is, but until I can find a cheap route to weld the aluminum it'll have to do.

An '07 Yamaha FZ1 seat finishes off the top side. After trimming the plastic underside to accommodate the tank pivot it kinda snaps into place.

Couple side shots

And the back

And one of the whole thing

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Tail looks cool but that headlight is horrible. What are your plans for the front end?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got my eye on a KTM 690 Enduro headlight, should be H4 and its the right shape.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how do u like the D616's?
I think they're awesome! The 190 was pretty hard to find as they've been discontinued. I originally wanted them for the look and figured I would live with the "knobby" feel...but they are smooth, perform tremendously and look pretty sweet!

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
I think they're awesome! The 190 was pretty hard to find as they've been discontinued. I originally wanted them for the look and figured I would live with the "knobby" feel...but they are smooth, perform tremendously and look pretty sweet!
They're still making them. Just out of stock until mid-late September

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They're still making them. Just out of stock until mid-late September

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
That's what all the retailers were saying but in talking to the Dunlop people @ the BMW RA Rally, they seemed to believe that that size has been discontinued... mind you I believe their statement is only in association to the fact that the 190 is not in their newest catalog. I found this one at Iron Pony when all other were stating that it was going to be mid-July... and the date keeps moving back. IDK, if I can round up another I'll buy it just to spite them, HA!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
love that pic, and waiting for pics with headlight on as I thought about it myself but hopefully will find cheap 999 setup
I like it to...I wish I had tig welding contact so I could change the sub-frame a bit and support the rear seat better, but it'll work for now.

Making some headway towards a new light...got a Trail Tech Vapor for $40 on eBay, just got to get the temp sensor and light dashboard to get this project rolling.

·
God listens ... to SLAYER
34 Posts
Surely, there has to be somebody who can help you out or a garage/engineers who will weld it up for you. Updating your profile with your location will help ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Found some structural Issues today with the tail. Technically it's sandwiching the bracket I added to the sub-frame and only held at the angle by one bolt under the front seat. I guess that either the pressure from the front seat or vibration has produced a crack in the fairing mount.

Time to play doctor!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Man...busy, and since this is my daily rider it's hard to make time to work on it, much less try to update what's been going on.

Finally got the light dashboard for the Trail Tech Vapor

and it snaps right into place...sure wish the Vapor was black

I did run into the Trail Tech guy at a bike rally and they say the new Vapor comes in black and has some sort of diamond scratch resistant screen...I'll have to check into that as money permits.

Shaved and tweaked the bracket to line up with existing holes in the fairing piece

1 - 20 of 35 Posts