Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
11,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
started glueing it together , i'll get a bit more done tomorrow, need to pop the wheel in and see where I can put bracing tubes , no, i still don't weld like Spondon, but I think it'll look cool enough when done

Electrical wiring Wood Gas Engineering Machine
Machine tool Wood Gas Cylinder Engineering

·
11,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
my plan when making the arm had been to tack the brace on, bring it to the bike, check everything cleared...yadda yadda yadda .... but i'm a dick'ead..... so i just welded it on , as you do

soon as i'd finished welding the brace i thought , "that looks a bit low" ..."bet that interferes with the chain run" .... well guess what .... I was fuckin right , bugger

not to worry, once the wheel is centred and the shocks are on i'll modify it to suit , tell everyone it was a fancy design feature

Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Automotive tire Bicycle fork

·
11,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The stock , newer CB seat I cut up to make fit... it's been fucked off, and it's taken with it any notion of this bike having two seats , i'm really not a 2 seat kinda person

kinda mocked up where I want the tail to be, still want the big red baboon arse that it came with , and without any further ado, proceeded to hacksaw some more of the frame off

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Automotive fuel system Fuel tank
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting
Wood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Denim

·
11,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
i'd made the shock mounts to keep the arm at the stock angle, but the subframe rails are just too low, looks shit , so off with the top mounts and start again....

a quite fortuitous decision it would turn out, as the inside of the old mount was solid with rust, Honda only half welded the tube on, and the tube was rusted right through

to be fair, the shock mount plates would have held it all fine..... but still

so a piece of the top rail i'd just sliced off was drafted in to replace the amputated section, a bone graft if you like

left hand side was rusty, but still solid

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle wheel
Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle Crankset
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Gas Automotive exterior
Wood Natural material Metal Fashion accessory Electric blue
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Wood Vehicle

·
11,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Mr angle grinder had a word with the plastic tail piece , and the excess material was convinced to move on , might be noticeable from the pics, this'll make it easier to fit a seat base , and means it can be slotted over the frame rails . The original mounting bracket was slotted to allow it to be manipulated into shape (forgot a pic) , then it was tacked onto the frame, the bike is starting to show it's self

without top shock mounts it can't be rolled outside , so they are next weeks task, tomorrows task being the making of templates

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Vehicle
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
11,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
stuck the two side panels on today ..... they're just to wide, i like the slim look of the rails and don't want a big fat seat. The panels at the front can come in a little,but no too much , or they'll hit the carbs, but the back can come in plenty. What I don't want is flat ally panels, much loved by 90's chopper builders, looks shit ...... I want to keep the CB650'ness of it , albeit BFT'd , the plan as it stands is to use the originals as bucks and pull a couple of glass replica's, they can be cut , shut and abused and once i'm happy break out the carbon fibre

templates have been drawn up for the top shock mounts, once they are tacked on i can drag it out for a view from afar

and i've started on a to do list.... I love a list

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exhaust

·
11,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
frames for the top shock mounts machined up, friend is doing the spindles, i want big radii on them for strength, and quite frankly he's better at that than me

yes these are quite skeletal, but i'm banking on 12mm ( 0.472 freedom units) thick being strong enough

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Bumper
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Light Automotive lighting

·
11,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
bent up a cross piece and tacked the rear shock mounts on, I don't have the proper die's for 20mm tube, so it has squashed a couple of bits, once the frame is stripped i'll braze up the little flats and make it nice . Triangulation tubes will come off this bit too

Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Plant

·
11,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
it is kinda hanging together, lack of rear wheel spacers don't help when pushing it, but it made it outside for a photo, and a sweep of the shed floor

side stand is now a smidge short and the centre stand is a waste of time, for by the fact it won't fold up anymore due to brace , but it'll stay on until it isn't needed anymore

changed my mind on the side panels, the width balances out the width of the top shock mounts

no photo from the rear, lack of spacers has the wheel lying all over the place , looks terrible , looking at it upsets my happiness

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Plant Vehicle

Attachments

·
11,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
the spindle ends are too long just now, but they can stay that way for now. I turned one end a little, so as not to damage the thread when chapping it in or out

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Engineering

caliper hanger is next on the list, It'll need to be steel, not enough space for an alloy one

·
11,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
that bit where i said i'd make the caliper hanger from steel.... yeah.... that never happened , it's a back brake, ally will be fine. It needs a little tweaking, but it'll work just fine

Wood Hand tool Tool Metalworking hand tool Hardwood
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Automotive tire Automotive design Bicycle part Tread

21 - 40 of 53 Posts