Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

441 - 460 of 507 Posts

·
BLACK BELT
7,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #441
Spark plug was tight and looks right.
Other owners were recommending the Laser Platinum plugs, so I tried.
First new plug I found is OEM style.
Damn! Didn't realize how tiny the Platinum electrode is.

Test fired in the rain. Seems okay, but the problem was intermittant, mixed with good running. Will need a good test ride.

Leaving the body off, so I can clean it tonight. Get it back together tomorrow.

·
BLACK BELT
7,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #444
Well, shit.

Can't get the leg over. It's a tall bike.

Didn't like doing it, but... Put the kickstand down and stood up on the left footpeg - then I could get the right leg over. Have to get down, the same way.

Might go for a quick ride later today to check the engine, but not quite ready to ride. Might be hard to put my feet down.

·
10,698 Posts
dynotech ecosse, my mates shop, they never use iridium plugs, they give no measurable power diff on the dyno, foul easily and don't clean up like normal plugs. Wullie recommends to his customers not to use them, I'm no expert, but he is, so I trust him on the matter

·
old fart
3,641 Posts
dynotech ecosse, my mates shop, they never use iridium plugs, they give no measurable power diff on the dyno, foul easily and don't clean up like normal plugs. Wullie recommends to his customers not to use them, I'm no expert, but he is, so I trust him on the matter
was told the same by the guy that does my engines/dyno work

·
Is my bike ok?
15,020 Posts
I tried iridiums in my '76 CB750 and it gave the bike a slight rough idle right off the bat. Got hard to kick after just a few rides. They were fouled. Put NGK's back in and it was fine for the next 10k miles. I mentioned it on a CB forum and got laughed at, so I never say anything about iridiums anymore since they're accepted as the hot ticket. Nice to hear I'm not alone on this

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Never understood how a tiny electrode (Even as exotic as Platinum) could generate a large spark?

What would give a bigger arc? A .22 gauge wire with 120vac running thru it or a .8 gauge wire? I rest my case.:D

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well, to be the odd man out, I've run NGK iridiums in my KX250, now a 295 for years without problems. It is what Kawi specs on this bike. I have yet to foul a plug, but I have been rather meticulous on jetting it.

It kicks off within three kicks, even after sitting 4 or 5 months with stale gas in it. Once warmed up it will idle off choke for however long you wish, despite being a MX 2 stroke...

They run about $10, so I generally replace them every time I re-ring it. But I believe the current plug has about 80 hours on it, could be more. I can't say that the old plugs look unserviceable, but it's more the mindset that I don't want to be miles and miles from my truck if there is a break down.

I don't know if it's any better than a copper NGK, but I can't say that it's any worse, except for price.

I put NGK iridiums in my ZR550 (4 stroke) when I rebuilt it, and it seems to be doing just fine. Could be the wallet burn is making me feel warm and cozy...

·
Is my bike ok?
15,020 Posts
Well, to be the odd man out, I've run NGK iridiums in my KX250, now a 295 for years without problems. It is what Kawi specs on this bike.
Since Kawi specs this plug as standard I wonder if something in the ignition system is specifically designed to work with it? My old CB had what was a notoriously weak ignition system so I figured I'd give the Iridium's a chance as it might help the old dog out. Looking back, it may have just exposed that system's shortcoming even more. Perhaps your bike's ignition is hot enough to make good use of them. Kawi obviously thought so.

Been tempted to try them again in the FZ. That bike can eat up a standard plug in about 8k miles.

·
BLACK BELT
7,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #452
Started stripping off the crashed parts.

Still moving slow, but made some progress.

Bars took a hit, even with the handguards. Bars are slightly bent, anyway.

Both mirrors are damaged, now. The machine shop hasn't wanted to make me another set. Will try again.

Shifter tip got grinded. Already have the replacement.

Front fender is toast.

Half the titanium footpeg is gone.

Enough for now. More damage to post tomorrow.

·
re-tarded
1,283 Posts
wow, you went down HARD if you bent fatbars

·
BLACK BELT
7,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #457
Trying to pull the front end, so I can install the billet triples.

Not sure how to proceed. May be best to purchase a new ignition switch.

Was going cut a slot in the safety bolts with a dremel, but they're recessed into the ignition. Can do it, but won't be easy. Bolts are locktited in, so would probably need an impact driver, as well.

·
Aspiring Hooligan
255 Posts
Center punch and drill the heads off? I did that on an old Kawasaki, not sure if the Yamaha has hardened bolts or not. once the heads are drilled out you can get some vise grips on the shank.

Edit:You could also use a screw extractor, same sort of thing but no vise grips needed.

Reactions: yantosh

·
Dickhead
689 Posts
I did this a couple of weeks ago on an FZR triple, and an FZS. Centre punched, pilot drilled a little and then 1/4" on one til the heads came off and 5/16" on the other (one had M6 & one M8). Then went to wind nuts onto what was left to tack on but they were loose and wound out by hand.

441 - 460 of 507 Posts