Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seasoned builder new to fighters.

cruisers bobbers and choppers is largely my past experience.

Its easy enough to take an otherwise decent machine, ignore handling, comfort and all reasonable sense just to turn back the clock and build an old school chopper. This is a progress pic of my last build a 98 sportster wearing knucklehead tins finished up now.

why Im here:

Thought id mix it up a bit this winter with a full fairing build with a vintage motoGP flair and focus being on power to weight and handling.

engine
Very impatiently waiting on an old air cooled 81 YZ465 motocross engine I purchased while sourcing out an IT490 enduro wide ratio gearset for the engine. plan is to give it a some mild porting, modern carb and a custom expansion chamber.

frame

Thats why Im here and Im sure Ill be picking everyones brain on how to make this thing handle through the twisties.

so far I have no idea which direction to go
handling characteristics, loose like a supermoto or take turns inline like a sport bike?
vintage dual shock, modern monoshock rear?
backbone, perimeter frame?
front forks, rake, trail?

suggestions, ideas, links are welcome to get the ball rolling

·
UnicycleMode
7,580 Posts
Thats why Im here and Im sure Ill be picking everyones brain on how to make this thing handle through the twisties.

so far I have no idea which direction to go
handling characteristics, loose like a supermoto or take turns inline like a sport bike?
vintage dual shock, modern monoshock rear?
backbone, perimeter frame?
front forks, rake, trail?

suggestions, ideas, links are welcome to get the ball rolling

Character like a SM would be great, but a SM handles like a tall, light weight sportbike. Think in the realm of GP250 with long travel suspension. Yeah, pretty much like that. (I know, I own a custom built SM with hand picked parts ;))

Dual shocks, they don't get enough love! :D

Perimeter trellis frame, only the most exotic you can get! :D

As for forks I am partial to the early CBR900RR conventional forks for an older build, Sebspeed built a very nice CB900F with 900 forks and it brought the whole package together in a way I have never seen before.

You are the personality we need here on CF lately! Welcome to the mad house! :shocker:

·
Premium Member
20,726 Posts
Welcome to CF DEVILSorchard! You've definately come to the right place.....;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Character like a SM would be great, but a SM handles like a tall, light weight sportbike. Think in the realm of GP250 with long travel suspension. Yeah, pretty much like that. (I know, I own a custom built SM with hand picked parts ;))

Dual shocks, they don't get enough love! :D

Perimeter trellis frame, only the most exotic you can get! :D

As for forks I am partial to the early CBR900RR conventional forks for an older build, Sebspeed built a very nice CB900F with 900 forks and it brought the whole package together in a way I have never seen before.

You are the personality we need here on CF lately! Welcome to the mad house! :shocker:

thx a lot I wasnt sure how a 2 stroke thumper would go over on this site.
Ill be gathering parts for this novembers build off so be sure to check that out :yeah:

Id never even thought of a Perimeter trellis frame mix that with some old school dual shock awesomeness or even the early yamaha monoshock idea for a little throw back to the bikes true roots and I think Ive got a solid starting point.

I was shooting for a rake trail of 25/100 gsxr front end and 170/17's with mag wheels. luckily the moto engine has plenty of chain clearance for a larger tire but no moto or early swingarm will fit that wheel.

The biggest annoyance is titling this machine
a custom frame will be hands down the easier way of building this machine over a ridiculously modded stock frame. but the YZ engine will raise a lot of flags trying that route. Being a noisy 2 stroke im also bound to get pulled over sooner or later so Im kinda stuck using a VIN at the least from a vintage yamaha 2 stroke street legal bike so everything at least look legit when showing my documents. now to find a frame

·
UnicycleMode
7,580 Posts
The biggest annoyance is titling this machine
a custom frame will be hands down the easier way of building this machine over a ridiculously modded stock frame. but the YZ engine will raise a lot of flags trying that route. Being a noisy 2 stroke im also bound to get pulled over sooner or later so Im kinda stuck using a VIN at the least from a vintage yamaha 2 stroke street legal bike so everything at least look legit when showing my documents. now to find a frame

I would go full retard myself (like I did on my XR500) and graft numbers from a bike into the head stock of the frame. CB360/500.... Anyway, best and most honest option would be DT series enduro tags. Simple, steel, and easy enough to attain a 250 frame for next to nothing. I say go for it, worst that happens is someone figures out your bike is a one off custom and congratulates you for doing such a fantastic job of building up an engine swapped and frame modified DT250... :D

The coolest thing about this project is you are going at it open minded and looking for where the limits are. I like it alot, few seem to want to push the boundaries lately. Good enough shouldn't be good enough. Perfection is all that we should settle for. A bike that makes our hearts race and our palms sweat. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stumbled upon this striking example of an early 70's RT1 today. The owner (Mad max) drove a hard bargain but we eventually agreed on a double digit price for this magnificent machine.

Looks like I'm about ready to enter this Novembers build off.

I know what you all must be thinking and in some ways I agree, it is a shame to cut up such a stunningly original vintage motorcycle but this my friends is what dreams are made of :rock:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts