Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Legit goon
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mornin lads

So I'm building a motorcycle dash from scratch. You can find out more in my build thread
(self-promotion wohoo!)

... Anywho. I'm at the stage where I'm wondering how many different
screens I should have and what they could show. The options are pretty much limitless as I'm
using a nifty open-source sensor system called Arduino. I could have it show battery voltage,
temperature, etc. My question how ever would be - how much would I actually need. Are there
any nifty thoughts some of you thought "well, that'd be cool to have" or "what won't it show that"?

Things I already have (or which are still in the idea bin but will be implemented):
Tachometer
speedometer
gear indicator
shift light (at a fixed rpm range the display backlight will change colour)
trip distance (odo with a reset option)
odometer
trip timer (will be incremented by actual wheel rotations, with like a 1-2 minute pause allowed
for traffic lights etc, so coffee stops and such wouldn't count)
estimated mileage (every time the dash is turned on, it calculates the estimated distance by
fuel gauge's readout and a prefixed MPG constant) - this will only be visible for the first 20-30
seconds of the dash's startup
Clock/time
Fuel gauge
Idiot lights (have to sort out the priority list since all the idiot lights and the shift indicator/tach limit will all be through the backlight..
Might do some idiot lghts as symbols that'd appear on the screen or would temporarily fill the whole screen/blink the screen?)
Automatic backlight switch/dim

Things I've thought of (..but don't really see a big point in having (of course there could be some few
occasions where they'd be worth having, so then again - why not add them right?)
::
* Temperature sensor
* Battery voltage
* .. ? Help me out lads

I should also note that the dash will have a bluetooth module, so I can change anything visual (backlight colours, the idiot lights, display's layout, any sensor settings etc) later on
in the future once it's all together and on the bike. For now I'd just want to get it on the bike
asap. So hardware is my first priority. Anything software-related can be sorted down the road.

Reactions: hrdy

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
Tach, speedometer and fuel gauge are definite musts on the display. Trip mileage and odometer are good ideas as well.

Think about the information you'd want to have visible to you while your riding and that gets the majority of the screen space. Since you're building it and have unlimited customization, you can add in the things you like.

To keep the screen from getting cluttered, maybe having the idiot lights in a row beside the screen would be a better idea.

Could you have multiple screens that can be flipped through as you want?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Think of K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid. You need speedo, tach, odo, trip, fuel gauge if you have it, oil pressure and engine temp.To me that is more than enough info to have for any ride. My watch tells me what time it is and how long the trip has taken. I applaud your skills for sure but I don't feel you need that much info to ride. Just my .02 Looks awesome by the way

·
Legit goon
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could you have multiple screens that can be flipped through as you want?
Yes, definitely. Atm I'm thinking of having a 'riding screen' - speedo, tach, fuel gauge and
perhaps trip or time (so 3-4 well readable big elements)
And 1-2 data screens with the rest bits, which I could flip through behind a traffic light or
during a break/at the end of a trip. The screenshot has a lot of stuff on it cos I'm just trying
different aspects in the smallest fonts and its easier to test all of them while having them in view
instead of flipping through 2 different screens.

Reactions: Handsome Matt

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,174 Posts
0-60 times and 0-100-0 times? :oops:

Those look good to me, I find the water temperature sensor useful when I play in the mud to make sure I haven't covered everything to the point where the radiator stops cooling.

The Arduino can also help you keep track of your abilities as a rider if you were so incline to set it up as a data acquisition system to be able to "see" what you are doing at what point on a known road. You can add a throttle position sensor on the carb rack to be able to track how smooth you are on the throttle. You should also be able to find a pressure sensor banjo bolt to be able to track how smooth you are on applying and releasing the brakes. There are GPS receiver units to allow you to map out the track you are taking and you can log the speed as you are going along. With those four sensors, you will be able to see which corner types you need to work on and how, and you will be able to see more improvement over a shorter time. (These are all for post ride information, not a very good thing to keep an eye on while riding.)

·
Legit goon
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was actually thinking of having two variables - an overall max speed and a max 0-100.. Since the bluetooth opens
up so many options, I wouldn't even have to have it on displays (say for some cop trouble or what ever) but could
view them later on my laptop.

Air cooled, so no water temp to view.

The last ones are really neat, but I don't know how clean I could run the sensors and am afraid it would look even
more cluttered in the front.. Will definitely give it some thought tho! Excellent suggestions Casper

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.