Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TL1000R has always handled awesome since I put the Ohlins shock and sterring damper on and had the forks reworked by a pro. but yesterday I'm coming home on the freeway and i'm in the left lane doing around 80 and I see my exit so I gas it and head to the right lane an I'm doing around 100 when I get to the right lane. The right lane was about an inch lower than the lane next to it and when I hit that the bike went into the death wobble from hell. I't was'nt a tank slapper but the whole bike. After I got it under control and said a few prayers I went back around and tried to recreate the same thing at around 55. I tightend the sterring damper all the way down but It still did the same thing just not so fuggin scary. I went home and checked the neck/wheel/swingarm ect. bearings and everything seems tight. Any ideas what else to look at. I've come home that way hundreds of times and no trouble before. Now I'm afraid to go above sixty. HELP!
Killer Tiller

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Dude..its a tiller....did you never hear of that issue with the tiller? I don't even own one and I know about their terrible head shake issues.

Does it still have that rotary damper rear shock thing? I heard that is the source of all those issues.

If it has a normal shock, then I would start checking out your geometry. Is the tail way higher than it used to be? Good luck.

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,146 Posts
how was the temp of the roads, was there gravel, new tires?...Tire Presure

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brit, The weather was dry about 70 deg. No gravel that I could see. Pressure ok, tires are fugged from the last track day. Thats probably the problem. I'm going to put on new tires and get a laser alignment tool. The bearings all feel ok ,but if the new tires and alignment dont do it I'll have to take it apart and start replacing bearings I guess. I'm just hoping someone might bring up something I didn't think of, or maybe It's happend to someone before and how they fixed it. It's just that it never happened before then wham I thought I was a dead man riding.

·
fukstik
1,154 Posts
what profile tires are you running. mine (also a TLR) use to pretty bad to the point it put me on my head! but it always did good as long as i stayed away from dunlop race rubber which has a very peaky profile. their stock tires are just nice and round like pirelli and continental. just a thought.... good luck

·
Wannabe
1,502 Posts
Are your wheel weights still on the wheel? That might be enough to throw you into a headshake.

If the front end suspension is starting to go that would also cause it, especially if the springs are not breaking down equally (I know I'm getting excessive here).

I got my first odd head shake last year towards the end of the year. Dan (endo's and my instructor) took the bike, stood on the left, held the brake, stuck a hand under the steering head where he could feel the gap between the lower triple tree and the headstock then rocked the bike forwards and backwards with the brake held.

There was a small amount of play back and forth - I rebuilt the steering head, and repacked the bearings which seems to have taken care of the problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thnaks for the suggestions. I'm going to double check the forks and start with new tires. The wheel weights are taped and still there. The tires are Dunlop 208s and pretty thrashed from the last track day. Also the rear is a 180/55 which works great at the track but stock is a 190/50. Maybe the different rear tire and high bars have unloaded the front too much.I think i'll go back to a stock size rear tire and change brands. A friend recomended Michlen Pilot Power's. Anyone have experience with Michlen's? Maybe another brand? I'm probably not doing anymore track days this year cause I'm broke and they are expensive not to mention another set of tires.
Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts