Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in deep on this one. Last week I picked up a 1999 ZX9R that was sort of together, and a nearly complete 98 for parts. Here's the haul:

Everything you see there for $1100 seemed like too good of a deal to pass up. There's an untitled frame, complete engine, swingarm, some USD forks that need identifying, a front wheel without bearings, three sets of seats including a Corbin front, two nose fairings, three tails, two tanks, and a full set of sides and lowers, spare shock, another set of RSU triples, a spare airbox, and a bunch of other junk. Most of it will be going to the salvage yard unless y'all want some of it.

I did some digging into it and started to get things cleaned up to get it titled. Texas requires a safety inspection before you can get the bike titled, so I'm getting it road legal before I do what I want with the build.

Why can't people wire things the right way? Like someone here said, "some people shouldn't be allowed to own motorcycles, especially the previous owners of my bikes." :doh:

A couple of days ago I cleaned the carbs because it wasn't running particularly well. Turns out I couldn't get the pilots out, so I'm going to have to hope that Seafoam can do its job. Since I had everything apart I did the float bowl mod for these bikes. I don't have pictures, but I ran a line from the float bowl vents to inside the airbox on the clean side of the air filter. It pressurizes the float bowls to the same pressure as the airbox, not unlike you'd do with a blow-through turbo setup. We'll see how well this works how I've got it.

Today I did something I'm not particularly proud of...

Yes I put fairings back on the bike. As I mentioned before, I need to make this road legal to get it titled, and I don't think the headlight flapping in the breeze is going to win me points with the inspector.

I think it's got good lines to start with though and has a lot of potential. Stay tuned to see where this one goes.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Great platform can't wait till you get it titled and can CHOP THAT MOTHER FUCKER UP!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great platform can't wait till you get it titled and can CHOP THAT MOTHER FUCKER UP!!!!!
Soon... I'm waiting on some ebay GSXR brakes to get here and then it'll at least be rideable. I have two master cylinders and both are crap. I need to clean these six pots too. It'll have to be GSXR 4 pots for now until I finish that.

Nice, I'm watching. I loved the idea behind that last fzr build you sold. I was really interested in that bike when you had it FS. It was just too far north at the time haha.

Good luck man!
Thanks! Resale is always the tough part with fighters. Either you've built crap that nobody wants, something cool, but with a small local market, or something you'd do anything to get your hands on. My stuff seems to fall somewhere in the second category.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I spent some time with the 9R this morning and it continues to run poorly. I thought it was a dirty carb problem so I checked that my spare carbs were clean (they were) and swapped them on. I swapped the carbs because the ones that came on it had the pilots frozen in place. Not so good when the only tools you have to clean them are a can of aerosol cleaner.

Unfortunately it's still missing on at least one cylinder, and it's consistent through the whole rev range, which leads me to think I have at least one bad coil. Does anyone have a copy of the maintenance manual so I can check them?

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know how much transfers, but problem solved for now. It was a bad coil on cylinder 1. Checked the plugs and #1 was black and wet, even though the plug was sparking in free air. Swapped it out, and it wheelies and does burnouts like it's supposed to. Next up is a new set of tires, license plate mount, and inspection.i

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I've got some parts rolling in, and plastics are for suckers. I'm going to get this thing inspected in basic fighter form!

I'm going to go with a single round headlight, but I'm not sure on size. 7" or 5-3/4?

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Glad to see you're keeping up with this build

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Small but satisfying update from this week. I haven't been getting a lot of time to work on the bike, so getting big things done is slow going. Anyway...

I got a set of Easton 1-3/8" bars, a radial master cylinder from a Triumph D675, bar end mirrors, and a new set of tires.

And these little rearset relocator plates. Took the Niner from a tight squeeze to all-day comfortable.

Hopefully by the end of this weekend I'll have my headlight mounted, gauge brackets made, a license plate hanger, and plate light. Then I'll get it inspected, titled, and registered and ride the piss out of it until I figure out exactly what I want to do to it aesthetically.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Looking good. What direction you thinking of going with the headlight? And are you sticking with the stock tail or are you doing a tail swap?

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looking good. What direction you thinking of going with the headlight? And are you sticking with the stock tail or are you doing a tail swap?
For now I have a cheap 5-3/4" round headlight and the stock tail is staying. Eventually I want to do a projector in a number plate sort of thing for the light, and a 03-04 636 tail or newer Monster seat.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I have a service manual for a 98-99 if you want it for the cost of shipping

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.