So in the past three or four months I picked up some '05 636 USD forks (Three of them... one of the original pair was badly dented), same year rear swingarm and a 2009 rear shock because it's supposedly more adjustable. Snagged a headlight, some clip-ons, a ballistic supertiny battery, controls, several different sets of calipers and masters, fiberglass, resin, and about a million other things and just kept piling them up until the snow decided to leave.
Forks went on without major issues-I poked the '05 stem out of the lower triple and turned up a bushing so I could push the '95 stem in. The swingarm is almost a direct swap-had to make a small spacer, like 2.5mm. I had to cut off the battery tray support tab that sticks out of the upper shock mount to get everything copacetic up there, but I was tossing the battery tray anyway.
This is what it looks like with the '05 swinger and forks on.
I didn't feel like spending money on wheels and tires-my tires were new last season and only have a couple hundred miles on them and I decided I didn't like the way the '05 wheels looked anyway. So I had to get creative with bearing sizes because the stock front axle is 20mm and the '05 is 25mm. Got that sorted, eventually, and got the front wheel centered between the forks to within about five thou or so. Similar bearing fuckery was required in the rear, naturally.
I got really pissed off while centering the rear wheel, wasn't getting consistent measurements with the straight edge method so I built a little laser tool to take care of it-just an aluminum plate that clamps across the wheel lip coupled up with a laser pointer on an adjustable mount. That took care of that. Buncha fucking around with verniers and a blown drive belt on the lathe later I had spacers.
I looked at the rear caliper bracket and decided it didn't have enough meat to it to bore the axle hole out to 25mm, so I grabbed another piece of plate and lubed up the bridgeport. Three days and several rounds of swearing at a rotary table later and I had a bracket that worked AND didn't look completely awful.
Photos of caliper mount in progress.
Whoa it fits. Measuring works.
Caliper mounts from '95 and an '02
Today I gotta finish bleeding the brakes (actually had the fronts done painlessly in ten minutes, then realized I had the banjos on out of order and backwards when I started fitting them to the bike so I had to let a bunch of air in, left them ziptied and hanging last night.)
Get those bolted up front and rear (speaking of which, need to turn up four spacers to kick the rearsets out a quarter inch or so to clear the swingarm)
If I get real squirrelly I'll start poking around with making a headlight mount. Goal is to have the thing technically road legal (Lights, horn, brakes, drives etc) within the next week. That way I can zip around on it while I'm working the fiberglass.
Oh yeah, I also picked up a G-model parts bike. Judging by the damage it got endo'd real good-like. There's a tiny crack on the top of the left spar and the lower left subframe mount is gone. Depending on the vagaries of the Vermont DMV I may switch to the G frame once it's fixed. If not I may just chop the subframe off the F and weld on some tabs.
Well, I got everything associated with the *front end installed and torqued down today other than the left-hand bar control bloc and I still haven't started messing with the headlight. Brakes are on and bled, and I remembered I need to order some rearsets because one of my originals is cracked at the bottom. Not sure whether I'm going to buy something or go back to the milling machine.
I really like how the newer rear arm beefs up the look of the rear end. I think the shape works pretty well with the tank. Making me think the new tail is gonna be really short and chunky.
The only problem is the chain side of the arm looks just like a simple F model swingarm with a square tubular brace. I'm thinking I may make a small fiberglass chain guard/cowl that mimics the shape of the right side.
I've been looking at mufflers and shit-I'm thinking dual cans under the tail, relatively small diameter. Shit is stupid expensive for what you get in my opinion. I may look at fabricating something-a packed/baffled muffler is pretty simple.
Poking around looking at undertail mufflers from various models. I wish it were easier to find dimensions on stock parts. 08-11 Daytona 675 undertails are in good supply, cheap and look pretty cool but I can't find any numbers on height/length/width.
Scrounged around on coneeng.com a bit, looks like I could have all the bits for a pair of reverse cone mufflers that would fit in the subframe for around $130-150. Not bad for what you get. Keeping an eye on that.
Also considering just making a flat sided muffler that fits within the subframe with a concave profile to the bottom of it. Single inlet dual outlet cuz more tips = more better
No concrete progress as of this post. I did figure out what I want to do about the headlight cowl, though.
I also ordered some monoblock front calipers from a CBR and a radial master cylinder to go with. I'll be selling the two sets of '05 636 calipers and the 03-04 master that I had. (Apparently the 03-04 linear masters sucked in particular)
Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
A forum community dedicated to Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, modifications, builds, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!