Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
KING SHIT OF FUCK ISLAND
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well we've all seen a million Slingshot builds but I never had one so I'm gonna get that out of my system with this.

I just throw newspapers in the trash where they belong so I stole the ol lady's phone, hope that works.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

So here we have a filthy little '92 750W frame with a set of '17 FZ1 wheels and forks just sitting loosely in there.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting

And we have this '91 GSXR1100, which will be used as a donor. From this I'll likely be keeping the rebuilt '97 GSF1200 motor and tank, and a couple shiny goodies like the TAG bars, ZX14 masters and levers, Yosh rearsets, braided lines and a couple other little doodads. The rest will be sold as a rolling chassis.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
KING SHIT OF FUCK ISLAND
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Well I decided while the front end was still sort of on, I should figure out a steering stop. So I stuck a piece of thicc rubber strap between the fork tubes and frame and tried to brain this one out.
Wood Automotive tire Road surface Flooring Sidewalk

I tried real hard to be all technical and smart but ofcourse I tacked it on crooked so it required a bit of trimming to even it up. I ended up with exactly one pinkies' width of clearance from fork tube to frame motoGP spec. Also learned that I should probably preheat and despooge this shitty porous cast aluminum before I weld it but really it's good enough for a steering stop. Just don't look too close
Automotive tire Gas Engineering Bumper Bicycle part

You can see I was toying with the idea of mounting a steering stabilizer down there, so I scavenged a bushing from something, put it in my drill and ground it to a taper on the belt sander, then I polished my rod. Drilled and tapped a hole in the center of that bulge and cranked it in. I think it will work, maybe
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Electrical wiring

·
KING SHIT OF FUCK ISLAND
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Now at this point I was pretty disgusted with the filth level so I knocked the swingarm out and hauled the frame to work this morning so I could hose it down. Degreased then scrubbed it with a 7-8% HCl solution and it's looking cute.
Road surface Asphalt Composite material Engineering Gas

The acid works very good for cleaning aluminum, just don't wait too long to rinse it off between scrubbies and remember it will absolutely rape any kind of plating on steel parts. That's why my dirtbike is so rusty.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Asphalt Automotive exterior

·
KING SHIT OF FUCK ISLAND
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I picked up these K2 GSXR600 throttle bodies and coils for a pretty fair price.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Font Automotive wheel system Gas

And spl0rged on this stuff:
Wood Electrical wiring Cable Electronic device Wire

Material property Office equipment Audio equipment Rectangle Font

So with that I'm pretty much balls deep committed to buying up the rest. I've spent more time researching and trying to wrap my head around all the components I'll use than I have actually building anything. I'm excited to try the EFI conversion thing for the first time though.

I'll link to my parts list in the discussion thread and you can see where I'm at with all that. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

·
KING SHIT OF FUCK ISLAND
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made some engine mounts, the front ones were easy
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire

The rear uppers were a bit of a fuckaround because they need to be removable, but the OG lugs for the rear upper interfered with the engine so they got chopped. I landed on pinning them in from the back side with a couple of M8 bolts.
Blue Light Azure Rectangle Paint

Wood Automotive design Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

Yes I still put endmills in my drill press
Gas Wood Household hardware Electric blue Metal

Rectangle Material property Font Gas Silver

Despite my best efforts to drill a straight 2" deep hole they still ended up a bit cockeyed and crooked. So I had to step down to 6mm bolts to leave enough meat to grab onto. Should be plenty strong
Bumper Motor vehicle Electronic instrument Automotive exterior Gas

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design

·
KING SHIT OF FUCK ISLAND
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Because I chucked the engine over to the right by a bit to make clearance, I had to space out the cradle to get that clearance back. Which left me with this fucking thing
Photograph Finger Gas Wood Nickel

Bit of a hack job but it works
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Tread Yellow

Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Musical instrument accessory Audio equipment

And that's it for mounting the engine. I'll take care of that little rubbed out eroded spot later
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel Automotive exterior

·
KING SHIT OF FUCK ISLAND
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now back onto this EFI bullshit I've got myself into... I got my trigger wheel in the mail and needed a way to reference the TDC mark against the crank dowel, so I made this little jig
Font Material property Gas Table Gear
Gas Circle Metal Font Symbol

Then I went for a burn at a friends place and cut the reluctor down to fit the ID of the trigger wheel
Machine tool Gas Milling Machine Nickel

I cut a notch into the wheel for the new TDC, that should put the first tooth after the gap at around 100BTDC which supposedly results in the most stable crank speed during the missing teeth.
Crankset Gear Font Automotive tire Rim

Burninated a bit much on the nut side, kind of fucked my ability to put a socket on.
Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Locking hubs

Gear Automotive tire Gas Auto part Tool

And thats about the most daunting bit of it, now it's just plugging shit in to other shit

1 - 9 of 9 Posts