Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ONLY OFFICIAL BUILDOFF UPDATES SHOULD BE POSTED IN THE OFFICIAL BUILDOFF THREADS!!! ALL DISCUSSIONS SHOULD BE POSTED IN THE BUILDERS DISCUSSION THREAD! ANY POSTS IN THE OFFICIAL THREADS FROM ANYONE OTHER THAN THE BUILDOFF THREAD AUTHOR, WILL BE DELETED.

ALL DISCUSSION ABOUT THIS BUILD SHOULD BE IN HERE!

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
eee custom tail. You should post a DIY how-to in the DIY forum for the lost foam body making method you used. I'm sure we'd all benefit greatly :D
I never thought of using wood putty like that. And acetone :D I just carve the foam out with a drill, hah hah.

Absolutely cannot wait to see your progress on this.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,666 Posts
great project. great documentation. great ideas!

im a big fan of this build thus far!!!

:metal:

·
65 Posts
Thanx for the compliments guys! Finding this forum is def amping me up even more on my build. If the tail section comes out decent I'll be more than happy to do a DIY article write up.

·
65 Posts
Its just an oval led light i picked up online. Its about 4" long and 1.5" high. In some of the pics of the tail you can see the hole I cut for it. I also got Kellerman turn signals and a led plate light.

·
aka crash test
756 Posts
how did you get the peices of foam to stick together or how you say laminated???

·
65 Posts
albertaf4i said:
how did you get the peices of foam to stick together or how you say laminated???
Use 3M super77 label adhesive. You can get this at any stationary store like Staples. The trick is to spray enough for the foam to stick to each other but not too much cuz the spray eats the foam. I spray a very very light coat on each side of the foam., let it dry for like 10-15sec, press them together and when all the pieces are laminated I stacked a bunch of books on top for a few hours.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
So you used the adhesive to laminate the foam? Definitely need to do a write-up for us :D

The tail looks AWESOME

·
aka crash test
756 Posts
yeah i have been trying to talk to some german company to get a tail from its just not workin out so i figure ill just make one if that ends up being the case

·
65 Posts
I decided to do the custom tail for a bunch of reasons. But not having to order from Germany is one of them. I guess its a trade off...either pay a shit ton for an imported part or spend months trying to build one yourself.

·
aka crash test
756 Posts
yeah it looks good im very tempted to try this just looks tedious as hell

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
haelo said:
It's only tedious if you insist on it being the perfect shape!

If you are going to do it you might as well do it right.

·
aka crash test
756 Posts
i agree to me it just wouldnt look right unless exactly even on both sides

·
65 Posts
albertaf4i said:
i agree to me it just wouldnt look right unless exactly even on both sides
welcome to my nightmare! haha

that and I got it almost done a couple months ago and didnt like the way it looked so..I scrapped it and started over. Then with the current one I actually took a couple weeks off from it because i was going insane from the sand/spackle/repeat process.

I think all the work will make it worthwhile in the end. Id rather try and build something because it takes more character than throwing money at it.

·
Fresh outta Fighter camp!
357 Posts
I think some of the best parts of projects are the ones you put a lot of time into, not the most money into. Like your tail, Im sure you will be more satisfied with that in the end, than you would say, a set a of wheels that cost two grand.

·
Registered
149 Posts
nice work on the tail. it would be pretty interesting to see the bike a gloss version of the tank that you cureently have on there. something along the lines of this:

or something a little brighter like this:

·
Registered
149 Posts
by the way, have any tips on getting the foam in the right shape?

would bondo help on the foam to have an even surface for the fiberglass? thanks -john

1 - 20 of 43 Posts