Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just went to press my bandit stem into my Gsxr triple and it is not straight. The press I was using was to small to press directly down in the center of the stem so I pressed it off center in a few different spots and now it clearly isn't straight. Can I repress it with a bigger press to straighten it out? Or should I press it out and start over?

I'm sure this is fixable but I feel like I messed up big time

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Definitely try to press it back out. It's already fucked up from the small press. continuing what you're doing with a bigger press isn't going to fix it. When you press things like this you need to have it centered, straight and level as well as doing it slowly and checking constantly to make sure you're jot fucking anything up. I just hope you didn't damage the soft aluminum bottom triple too bad.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

So I definitely fucked my stem up. The triple looks fine though. Does anyone know where I could get a bandit 1200 stem? Aside from eBay.

Then after that who would like to press it in for me so I don't screw it up again?

You live and learn right?

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea exactly. I guess it was either pretty much seated in the triple but I kept pushing with the press.

Its hard to get a good pic of it.

The stem isn't bent at all its just squashed out where it got pressed in

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Well,looking at it now (now on a cell phone) it looks like the stop lip is a little boogered,but that's it. Is that a snap ring still in place on there? Even being a little boogered up that lip will still prevent pull-thru just fine, even if it's not pretty while doing it. If the stem still fits nice and snug in the lower, and it's not bent like you say, I don't see why it wouldn't still work.

Of course, that's a diagnosis vis internet without actually putting my hands on the parts,but I really think you'll be OK there.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea the snap ring is still in place. I don't have access to a press any bigger than what I knackered this with, would you be able to take a look at it and press it in if you deem it still usable? I would pay shipping both ways

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Sure thing. I'd hate to see you pay all that shipping and lose that money if it doesn't pan out. But if you think the only area that got damaged is the stop lip at the bottom (which it really looks like according to the pics) then I don't really think it's a problem. I'll leave that decision up to you.

If you decide to send it makes sure to also send the top nut incase I run into a snag and need to press it back out. Also,send whatever dust seal and bearing you need pressed on so I can knock that out for you as well. PM'ing my address now.

No promises on how fast I can get this turned around though. It's a half hour job at most,but I have three other favors sitting here waiting on me now. :) It might take me a week or two to get to it,if that's ok.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea that's perfectly fine and ok I will send The but and bearing also. I think it should still be able to be used based off of what you're saying and actually looking at it. You are the man

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.