Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a digital speedo from china off ebay a while back, pretty sure its one of those rip offs of one of the reputable brands but people said it worked fine. so i go to plug her in and realize that there's no hole to screw in the rpm cable that comes from the engine to the speedo. has anyone gotten this speedo or one with a similar problem? if so, how did you solve it?? any help greatly appreciated! also, not as important as the first prioritized problem but also if anyone knows what you need to do to install the magnet and sensor for the road speed then that would be helpful info too, thanks!

·
"Fuck yo couch" -Socrates
1,010 Posts
It's an electronic tach. You could either try wrapping the black/yellow tach wire around the plug wire for cylinder one, or wire it off the ground side of cylinder one coil.

What type of bike? This information is important as clearly it is an older bike if it's running e mechanical tach.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an electronic tach. You could either try wrapping the black/yellow tach wire around the plug wire for cylinder one, or wire it off the ground side of cylinder one coil.

What type of bike? This information is important as clearly it is an older bike if it's running e mechanical tach.
:oops: My apologies, its a 82 cb900f supersport. ill look into those two options and see what i can do next time im in the shop!

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Either wrap it around a spark plug wire or connect it to a coil. You will have to change it to read like a 2 cylinder bike because these bikes run on a wasted spark system where it fits twice for each stroke.

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
They are good units for the price. If course they aren't gonna be just like the kosos but they have a pretty good reputation around here. I just bought a round koso knock off myself. If you run into anymore trouble with it W let us know there are a few of us dohc guys here

·
Registered
740 Posts
Koso makes adapters for mechanical drives, both speedo and RPM drive that converts it to a standard electronic signal.

The tach signal wire you'd connect to the + side of only one coil. If the pulse-per-revolution is adjustable you'd then want to set it to 1 (one spark per 360*, instead of one spark every 720 in a standard fire which would be .5ppr).

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
Koso makes adapters for mechanical drives, both speedo and RPM drive that converts it to a standard electronic signal.

The tach signal wire you'd connect to the + side of only one coil. If the pulse-per-revolution is adjustable you'd then want to set it to 1 (one spark per 360*, instead of one spark every 720 in a standard fire which would be .5ppr).
can this work onna 6 cylinder moter?

·
Registered
740 Posts
On the Koso you specify how many cylinders the engine has. So yes.
Yes, but this can sometimes be misleading. A lot of bikes (most that don't have coil-on-plug ignition) are waste-fire, in which case you would input 1/2 the cylinders it actually has. On a flat-sixValkyrie, the stock tach output behaves (and reads correctly) when the aftermarket tach is set to 4 cylinder mode, which is kind of odd since it's a waste fire system as well and you'd think 3cyl would be correct.

·
Registered
1 Posts
have you had any luck wiring clocks? i have just installed similar on a 97 cbr 600 and have some wiring drawings that may help, pm if you need them

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes, but this can sometimes be misleading. A lot of bikes (most that don't have coil-on-plug ignition) are waste-fire, in which case you would input 1/2 the cylinders it actually has. On a flat-sixValkyrie, the stock tach output behaves (and reads correctly) when the aftermarket tach is set to 4 cylinder mode, which is kind of odd since it's a waste fire system as well and you'd think 3cyl would be correct.
And to further confuse the issue on the Koso you also specify how many cylinders the coil delivers to. In the case of my FZS600 Fazer it's two!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Either wrap it around a spark plug wire or connect it to a coil. You will have to change it to read like a 2 cylinder bike because these bikes run on a wasted spark system where it fits twice for each stroke.
It's a rip off of a Koso unit. I bought one and it was crap. Sent it back for a refund and bought a Koso.

can this work onna 6 cylinder motor?
have you had any luck wiring clocks? i have just installed similar on a 97 cbr 600 and have some wiring drawings that may help, pm if you need them

HEY guys late to the party by a few months, i've finally got around to the wiring on this project and i got all the lights working, except this speedo is giving me hell!

Does anyone here have a REAL wiring diagram for this thing or know where to direct the wires, OR know someone i can talk to about that? because i tried meshing it with the cb900f wire diagram and the vital wires work in place but the turn signal ones are janky along with the oil pressure(all there is, is a water pressure wire), neutral light(theres not even a neutral wire on the diagram?), and pretty much everything about this thing. any help on this specific model greatly appreciated, the rpm (green/yellow) wire thing will work im sure, but all this other crap is messing with me. plugged orange to orange and turn signal light on the speedo lights up and stays on constantly, light blue to light blue and it works perfectly fine. so somethings messed up, not sure what!

china products and directions will be the death of me!

edit:
p.s. thanks for all the help so far guys, i really appreciate the input and there's some great help here! hopefully this thing can get figured out and people can reference it if they ever buy this thing and get as frustrated as me!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bump;

i've been looking around with no luck, i tried to reverse engineer this thing but the only part that comes off is the faceplate, cant remove the clear cover because it is plastic welded to the motherboard!

does anyone know someone who knows what the true wiring diagram is for this thing, or am i out of luck and just going to have to keep plugging and testing each wire?

any help greatly accepted and appreciated!

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
I am having to create my own jumper harness for my cb750 and my digital speedo. It might have something to do with your blinker relay as well. I say if the light comes on and the blinker still works then I wouldn't worry too much about it. The important part is getting power for the back light and the speedo itself. The oil pressure light might work off of a powered signal instead of a ground system like our bikes use. I don't know how much we can help over the internet. I would have to get hands on to see whats going on.

·
Registered
740 Posts
You can try contacting the seller but its doubtful they will be of much help.

Use a 12v battery and a couple jumper leads to just start probing wires. Power the common ground and key-on positive, then with another positive wire start probing the unknown wires and see what lights up on the gauge to identify the wires for blinkers, oil pressure, neutral, ect. Almost all bikes provide power to light indicators, though I've run into a couple Honda cruisers that provide ground, which makes things difficult with LED indicators that are polarity sensitive- the stock indicators were just bulbs so polarity didn't matter.

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
You can try contacting the seller but its doubtful they will be of much help.

Use a 12v battery and a couple jumper leads to just start probing wires. Power the common ground and key-on positive, then with another positive wire start probing the unknown wires and see what lights up on the gauge to identify the wires for blinkers, oil pressure, neutral, ect. Almost all bikes provide power to light indicators, though I've run into a couple Honda cruisers that provide ground, which makes things difficult with LED indicators that are polarity sensitive- the stock indicators were just bulbs so polarity didn't matter.
the oil and neutral light would probably be ground outs no?.. so if they aren't lighting up with 12+ ground the wires out.. and they would light up.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Possibly, I really can't say for sure. If you have a wiring diagram for the bike you should be able to tell which side is constant, and which side passes through a switch (the oil pressure sender or neutral safety switch)

The problem with this system and LEDs/aftermarket clusters is they assume everything is + activated, so it runs all the grounds through one common pin, the same one that powers the gauge itself. If you have -/ground activated indicator lights, that indicator's pin on the stock cluster was a floating - to illuminate it, on an aftermarket, it's looking for + there to illuminate it. Since any aftermarket cluster I know of uses LEDs, this will not work as light emitting diodes only allow power to flow (and thus light up) in one direction.

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
On the cbs the oil pressure light is operated by the ground. I'm not sure about the neutral light but I'm sure it's the same thing
i think most engine related things are.. even water temp is determined through resistance through the ground as is fuel.. well fuel in cars.. not sure if bikes are the same. or if the bike even has a fuel light.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts