Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 1991 CBR 600 with a CBR F3 engine and most electrical parts. My issue comes when I'm attempting to put a digital speedometer that has a analog or cable driven speedo connection onto my F3 engine that has the 3 wired speed sensor. I'm lost on what I can do.

Here is the cheapo speedo I got. http://www.ebay.com/itm/171138031464?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

You can see if you scroll through the pics where the speedo cable would connect to on the back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If it doesn't have a digital input there's nothing you can do. I do not know of any sort of adaptor that would read the analog signal and convert it to digital.

There are a lot of cheap speedos on eBay and Amazon that use digital signals. A lot of them also display your fuel level based on the simple ohm reading from your tank, which often only gives a low fuel warning light on stock bikes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FUDGE!! I guess the only thing I could do is put a speedo cable down to the front tire from the digital display. That should work, huh?

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
FUDGE!! I guess the only thing I could do is put a speedo cable down to the front tire from the digital display. That should work, huh?
If your speedo has an analog input, maybe.

If you can calibrate your speedometer digitally, you'd be better off finding a speedo sensor that uses a magnet to detect speed.

·
Fooking old git
2,216 Posts
try Acewell, they supply magnet pick ups and I believe a digital signal converter that screws into the wheels speedo drive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I tried contacting Acewell and they said they couldnt help me. Maybe they just didnt understand my situation. Anyway I'm very new to this, so please bear with me. my ignorant mind is saying, why can't I just find a cable like this

Sensor
http://www.acewell.co.uk/Acewell Ac...rs - Magnet type/ACE-S3.htm?action=full&id=13

connect it to my fork and buy this magnet
http://www.acewell.co.uk/Acewell Accessories and Sensors/Magnetic Bolts/index.htm

and Boom. WIll this work? or will I not be able to find a magnetic speed sensor that will plug into my cable drive speedo?

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
That's what I suggested in my first post. The wiring might be a little tricky, but if you get everything installed, I would put the front wheel on a stand, spin it, and test the wiring. If it gives you nothing, try reversing the wiring. IIRC you had 3 wires coming out of your speedo? You'll have to try different combinations I'm guessing.

A better option for the Hall sensor would be to get it from here: http://www.trailtechproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Speed_Sensor_Cables.html... use the one for an SV650 or the honda one. I'm pretty sure the SV650 one is as close to universal as possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To be honest, what I'd love to be able to do is just put a F2 speedo hub sensor on my F3. Has anyone done this before? Will it fit? Or is there not enough room on the F3. I tried calling my local dealership and they said no. But I think they just said that bc the F3 has a electrical sensor and the F2 a mechanical. I'm not sure if they actually knew if it would fit or not. Just that the F2 sensor and the F3 were different and therefore not compatible. but just bc they are different may not mean that it won't fit. Hopefully. That would be the ideal way to go, you can find F2 sensor with the cable for only $20.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I like your idea, I was just trying to expand upon it and try to make it work. I didnt see any sensor in that link that would connect to a drive cable speedo, only an electronic. Grant it, I could be really dumb.

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
I don't get why people buy knockoff speedo's... It's retarded how much work you spend getting a $60 gauge to work, when there's a $90 gauge that is almost plug and play. Absolutely ridiculous to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Probably bc they are new and don't know what they are doing and get lied to by the knockoffs. That and I bought a bike that has an F3 engine and body and everything else except for the F2 frame. When I ran the Vin it said F2, so this speedo would work for an F2. That was my train of thought. You think I was, like oh Ill just say a few bucks and do a little more work, no problem?? Not so much.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Alright, I have an f2, and have looked at that gauge. Dont know if you have it figured out yet but. Heres what I know. The f2 has a cable driven speedo, there is nothing electric in it. The cable goes into the hub with gears, so its all mechanical. All that is really irrelevant to be honest. That gauge comes with hall magnets. You will put the magnets somewhere, say the head of the bolts holding your rotor, then mount the sensor and run the wires up to your gauge. I seem to remember someone on a cbr forum ordering that particular gauge. The only problem I forsee you having is the same issue all knockoffs face when going on a bike. Getting an accurate tach signal. There is a filter on the Koso website that they sale to clean up the tach signal, they even have to sale it for the Koso gauges, but I have no knowledge of if it will work on a knockoff. But I have the link somewhere if you need it later, as its kinda hard to find on their website.

·
V four honda whore
12,415 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts