Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Worked on the seat today getting that taken care of and rolled the bike outside for a bit. Springs to stiff as if sits but I can take care of that easy enough.









Need to get my tail in gear if I want to finish this bike. Still a bunch of fab to do ( battery box, headlight, exhaust, oil tank, and now fuel tank ) Plus the wiring and plumbing
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Battery hold down strap is burned out now.



Been playing around a bit with the pie cut exhaust also. First pieces were too tight an inside radius for what I wanted. Never really tried to make certain radius's before, always just did whatever looked about right. So its been a bit of a learning curve but I think I got it now



Also picked up this tank for $10. Coworker robbed the petcock and filler bung for a mini bike fail. Not sure if I'm going to use it, chop it up, or make wall art but I couldnt turn it down.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
A lighter spring for the mtb shock came in yesterday. Got that swapped over and it's a bit better. Seat now has a little bit of spring to it. Could probably drop another 50lbs or so but that be it. Don't was it to be too springy so I'll try this one first

While I was in the shop I had the brilliant idea to throw this other tank on the bike. It's crazy wide and would need a decent chunk removed from the center, but from the side it doesn't look half bad. It's large enough, that if I plan it out right when chopping it down, I may be able to hide 3 quarts of oil inside also.



Thats something ive been trying to sort out the past 2 weeks or so without much luck. The MTB shock takes up the space for an oil tank. Could fab up a chin spoiler tank but I don't think that will look right. Other thing is 2 small pill shaped tanks mounted somewhere on each side of the bike Not really sure about that either
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Only one way to figure this out. Chopped 4.5" out the center today. If this doesn't work I'll chop it back apart and make wall art and use the old tank



With the two halves in hand, I decided take the guess work outa this and see just how much room would be needed for the required 3 qts of oil. Filled the side with exactly 3 qts of water. Turns out it isn't nearly the amount I was thinking. Half of one of the tanks halves is all.



Of course I'll build the oil side a bit larger so theres a bit of air space. But in theory I should be able to do this and pick up a bit more room for gas also. First and fun parts going to be gluing these 2 tank halves back together. Neither side tank profiles matches the other
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Got a bottom fitted to the tank now



And formed up a tunnel for the backbone



3 of the 4 fittings ordered have arrived. These are for the oil tank. Petcock bung should be here soon



Still debating on gas/ oil cap setup. Probably sit down tonight and find something. Also need to be thinking about a gauge. Got an old small Koso unit I might try and use
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Had a bit of spare time this morning so I started working on cutting the tunnel in the tank.



May have ran into I bit of a snag with the steering. With the tank on Im only going to get about 28* of steering from center, so 56* total. Something tells me thats not enough but I cant seem to recall how much is necessary. It would only really matter in the parking lots but if anyone knows that magic number, I'm all ears

Jumped over to the headlight setup I'll be running for a minute. Ran this projector on an old bike I built and I'm thinking it will work good with this one also. With a little updating as it seen better days

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well, I never did find any actual numbers for how many degrees of steering was needed. Google was about worthless so I threw the angle finder on the Kawi. It had about the same, maybe a tad less, so I'm just going to run with it. Really only matters in parking lots so thats not a big deal.

I've jumped over to the headlight for now and been working on remaking it. Its been quite interesting taking the old one apart and seeing how I made it years ago before access to lathes, mills, rollers and all that jazz. I didnt take pictures but this ones made from a 5" tube cap and a rolled strip. Welded them together and metal finished making this bucket.



 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Headlight mounts are getting started. Drilled and tapped the riser bolts to double as mounts and made another set of bungs





And did another single mount in the lower trip.





Looks a bit off with the button head bolts, but they will be swapped later for some socket heads. Just didn't have any at the moment. Headlights going to be somewhere about here

 
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Top