Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Member
Joined
·
10,815 Posts
i've commented on it before,but the welding on that bracket is art ,and even better as it can be left, does my head in at work when I run a nice looking weld (my nice,not quite your nice) and we then have to surface grind the face

you say you have a laser at work? could you draw up a "Dimestak" logo and have it cut into the caliper hanger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
I've spent about 10% of today welding and the other 90% grinding them down to not look shite.
Then I look at your welding and want to cry :D stunning work mate
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've spent about 10% of today welding and the other 90% grinding them down to not look shite.
Then I look at your welding and want to cry :D stunning work mate
Thanks bud.

I'd be tempted to leave the rear fender a little longer. I know you're not building this for a daily ride, but cleaning tire spray out from between cooling fins is a major pain in the ass.
Ya got a good point. Never been a fan of cleaning my bikes much and I don't really favor changing that now. How much farther are you thinking?
 

·
Rollin hard in Wiscompton
Joined
·
3,692 Posts
Instead of cutting the fender because of the chain, why not just space the sprockets a little? Maybe add small teflon slide panels where the chain would rub? Little squares of material, no need to run a full strip between them. Minimal, but functional.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm actually hoping that I wont have to flare the holes. The holes will be progressively different sizes and I'd have to make multiple dimple dies to suit each hole. I know strength may be an issue with a flat sheet so I'll have to see just how bad it is and go from there. The fender is heavy gauge so that should help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,016 Posts
I'm actually hoping that I wont have to flare the holes. The holes will be progressively different sizes and I'd have to make multiple dimple dies to suit each hole. I know strength may be an issue with a flat sheet so I'll have to see just how bad it is and go from there. The fender is heavy gauge so that should help.
I came from the build thread to ask you exactly what Yan said but I see your point. Could you cut the speed holes, then slightly curve the sheet to give more stiffness, or do some kind of rolled edge?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I could definitely roll an edge if need be or place some bends in it. More than likely it going to need a bend or 2 to clear the chain and come back in to the fender anyways. Going to try and get in the shop a bit this weekend and sketch something on paperboard. See if I can get it to look like the image in my head.

And Yan, I been eyeballing a set of dimple dies for years and still don't have them. Never had a good enough reason to have them except the rare once a blue moon project. Hardly worth the cost or time to make them
 

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
Joined
·
10,448 Posts
Could always rig up a dimple die setup using a couple bearing races and rounded things like hitch balls, ball bearings, and ball peen hammer heads. I've used old billiard balls before in aluminum sheet. I've also used a upside down master lock for a oblong dimple. Just have to get creative and a lot of things can be used for dimple dies.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
10,815 Posts
version two looks much better, previous one overpowered the bike , skinny chick with a out of proportion bubble but

welds are art, parts look like they've been sewn together
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top