Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i own a dual sport suzuki dr250s. it didnt do a lot lot for me as a dual sport. i never take it off road, and it needed a good bit of work anyways, so a friend and i have put it under the knife, selling off all of the dirtbike stuff and slowly turning it into sort of a classic ujm single.

my friend is handling most of the dirty work, not that i mind getting my hands dirty, but he has a welder and mechanic's degree and he is also a badass with bikes and engine stuff.
so far we put on a gs750 tank and 2007 gsxr 1000 shock. next comes a port and polish and a reverse cone exhaust. my friend is going to weld up an underslung pipe that will terminate just behind the right foot peg. it's looking pretty good now, here are some pics.
this is what it looked like when i got it- googled pic

my buddy sent me this pic yesterday with the new gs750 tank

i will have one hell of a range on this bike. the fork gaiters are likely coming off. i'll start work on a cafe style seat pan when i go out to his house this sunday. i'll also be ordering some gaskets and a reverse cone exhaust. after that the bike will need another weekend of wrenching and it will basically be done. all that remains is a round headlight, wire tuck, and fine tuning. i'm hoping the seat wont be too difficult...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also i thoroughly apologize for not making a detailed build thread. i love to read those. the bike is at my friend's house, and i've given him free reign to mess with it whenever and do what he wants with it. he's got the keys, title's in my hand, but in the owner's name 2 owners ago. the inspection is out, and the bike isnt insured, since it been running shitty and just sitting in the garage, so yeah he can do whatever he wants with it, lol.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
i have a klx650 at my friends house that i have thought about doing this to. really cant wait to see how she turns out.

Reactions: loosenoose

·
CafeFighter
82 Posts
subbed...
I have big interest about Your project as I'm thinking amd dreaming about smoething similar...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. i'll try to keep the updates coming. i posted on my local forum, motohouston, and nobody gives a shit. they stick to their new bikes i guess. im a family man with no money for a new bike. i'm putting what i can into this dr. i'll be very happy once it is on the street.
some nicer and wider wheels with street rubber would make me really happy, but it wont be in the project right now...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im getting a drz 400 sm carb this weekend. my buddy (henceforth known as damon) and i are picking up a honda gl650 for him for a cafe project of his very own. :D
damon is putting on a smaller, cb750 tank and we are discussing chopping the frame seat area and re welding it. i thought we were getting close to wrapping it up, but it looks like we arent. eh, oh well. it's a shit time to ride right now anyway.

i think he's also talking about swapping in a dr350 motor... i have no clue right now whats going on with my bike. lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh, and swapping out the gsxr1k shock for a cheaper honda shock.

i dont know. i'll have pics up monday or tuesday

·
Respect can't be bought.
4,181 Posts
Im going to follow your build dude, Im in the process of getting a dirt bike to be a street monster, so it seems only fitting. Good luck man, let me know if you need anything.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im going to follow your build dude, Im in the process of getting a dirt bike to be a street monster, so it seems only fitting. Good luck man, let me know if you need anything.
Need anything? Lol... like $500 to really get the project done
thanks.
picking up a drz400sm carb tomorrow from a member of another forum
The last time i talked to Damon i was left with many questions. Im going to be in a truck with him for a few hours tomorrow followed with my first look at the bike in about a month

·
RUST REMOVER
1,092 Posts

·
Bazinga!
2,604 Posts
by whoring out denvers mom 50 times. haha

definitely following this one. it peaked my interest. but dude........get in there and have more to do with it. even if it is just bolting stuff back together. you will appreciate it more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
by whoring out denvers mom 50 times. haha

definitely following this one. it peaked my interest. but dude........get in there and have more to do with it. even if it is just bolting stuff back together. you will appreciate it more.
God, I know... it is killing me to not be able to go to the garage and tinker. My one year old was soothed by the sound of my vfr's engine purring out the shorty exhaust. Damon is really damn good though, lol. Where I can spend time with the bike, very little will be constructive.
Also, damon lives about an hour from me, so getting to him with my work and family is tough.

·
Will have a bike... soon
5,031 Posts
Following. I love that someone posted the street-tracker NX650 up there, it's one of the best-looking bikes I've seen - spent a long time as my computer's desktop background.

Good luck with the build. Hope you can overcome all the problems and end up with something awesome.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bleh. not much of an update after all. i helped damon get his honda gl650 and loaded it into storage. he and his little daughter are both sick, so he wound up taking her to see their doc.
damon says he will send me a few good pics later today, so hmm. i can hope for goodness.

·
Respect can't be bought.
4,181 Posts
For a on road hooligan bike, figure 85% on road 15% off road. You think a normal street suspension could take a 5 foot leap in the air? or landing on concrete from 2 feet?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not really looking to much hooligannery. It probably won't see much dirt at all.
The shock might be changing from the current gsxr shock, to the unit from my old sv650.
The tank, if it fits is going to be a cb750. Smaller than the gs tank. It won't look so huge.
The guy with the carb forgot I was coming over and he went riding out where I live. Blah.
The gl has a lot of potential. I wouldn't be suprised if damon wasn't at his storage unit right now, stripping the ugly fairing off to sell it.
Oh, and for all the credit I have given him, maybe it was his ilness, but damon thought he was working on a dr350
:facepalm:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts