·
fighterer still learning
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys
hopefully a few of you are following my other builds
but i just got myself another bike! :D

here she is as i got it.......

as you can see it was just a bit tatty! ;)
started de-stickering it and already looked a bit better

but the panels were still scratched and mud had settle in the scratches
so the tear down began to sort that............ attacked the panels and tank with my sander till they looked presentable at least, an gave the thing a DAMN GOOD CLEAN!!

after it was all back together i took it for a quick spin round the block (dont like knobblys on the road!)
wen i got back i noticed a small weap from the head gasket :( so £40 later i have a top end gasket set
and again the tear down started............
after a couple of hours heres what it looked like

its all ready for some fresh gaskets then once its together, gonna have a proper deep clean of it and give it a few coats of high temp silver

not got much in mind for this thing as its gonna be used for wat its meant for :)
but i am buying a set of 94 gsx750f "cough katana cough" wheels and using those as a set of road sumo wheels........ the swap will be documented in this thread for anyone who is interested so feel free to ask any question etc

·
fighterer still learning
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey guys
dont worry the wheel swap will have lots of piccys :)
ya i noticed a few on here so i thought wat the hell i'll put mine up!

got the engine put back together and gave it a damn good clean then a few coats of high temp silver paint
AND.......................... HERE IT IS

got myself a nice set of gel grips as well

also a bike shop is having a closing down sale so i thought i'd grab a new pair of goggles for my crosser lid (the black pair)

the gsx 750f wheels have been sent out so should be with me by the weekend then its off to the machine shop to get the cushdrive machined down :D

·
fighterer still learning
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got the timing done on the engine at last and now the engine is pretty much ready to go back in the frame

but before i threw it all back together i took the opportunity to give the frame a damn good clean, sand down then 2-3 coats of hammerite smooth satin black :) (only a brush on type till i get it blasted and powdercoated eventually) but anything was better than the horrible blue that was on it (that was also handpainted)
im not too bothered about it being hand done tho as it will be used offroad so its probably gonna get chipped and knocked about anyway
was getting dark by the time i took some photos

cant wait to get this thing back together and get the road wheels on there!
gonna look like a different bike wen its "finished" :D

·
fighterer still learning
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys!
ya im super pleased with how the engine turned out! good thing is that if it gets scuffed i can just spray a lil more over it but it seems quite tough as i found out wen puttin the engine in :)

i already know what i need to do with the kat wheels ;) just gotta wait for them to turn up, they should be here monday/tuesday an i have tuesday off so i can start doing some measuring and drop some bits up to my mate hopefully to get them milled down

well today after work i couldnt resist getting out there and wrenching
the paint was dry so i got it out the shed and before i did anything i gave the carb a damn good clean up, inside it was pretty clean as it is
once that was clean i thought i would get the engine back in! :D (not easy with a freshly painted frame and engine!)
i even managed to get my hand stuck under the engine as i forgot to take the swingarm spindle out! lol had to get someone to pass me the socket and a hammer so i could get the spindle out while i was stuck......... lol

thats enough writing so onto the pics!! (and as usual it was dark again :( lucky i got a half decent cam with a bright flash)

im really pleased with how its coming together, an its a completely different looking bike to when i got it, just cant wait to get the kat wheels on................

·
fighterer still learning
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well guys its been a short and somewhat quick thread so far lol
managed to get it finished off (so far) tonight, the kickstart was giving me shit as i didnt kno how it went back in but a few minutes searching on the good ole net sorted that

here it is finally back together and the best bit of all is it started after 2-3 proper kicks even after being taken apart :D (kicked it about 60 with the de comp lever in to get some oil circulating first)

got a small oil leak on the left hand cover so will get that off and make a gasket for it tomo then its ready for some fun on sunday :D

then part 2 of this build starts, im hoping tomorrow if the wheels turn up (fucking courrier companys are a bunch of idiots)
im undecided on what colour to do the gsx road wheels, im tempted by either gold, orange or blue..............
i think gold wont look right tho as there alot of silver already
what are your thoughts???

·
fighterer still learning
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
whoo hoo gues wat came in today!!!

heres a couple of bits that will be getting the machining treatment :D

the brake disc needs to be milled down to the same od as the xr disc
the cush drive needs to be milled down to only 2" wide
and the front bearings need to be swapped out for a 17x42x13 bearing will get these ordered tomo hopefully. there rare as fecking hens teeth and rocking horse shit!
and another few lil spacers to centre the wheels

thought i would get some daytime shots of this thing at last lol seen as all the other shots are shitty dark ones

as it was all back together at last i thought wat the fuck lets take it apart again and have a mock up with the kat wheels ;)
would be rude not to!
so heres wat i should look like wen its all machined and swapped over.................

and wat i think is the best sumo pic of it yet

heres a reminder of wat it looked like wen i picked here up ;)

COMPLETE TURN ROUND!!! will be dropping the bits off at my mates on thursday, and ive got an offroad day at a mates farm on sunday, i cant wait! :D

·
fighterer still learning
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks alot racing geek! had somewhere else i was gonna get them but that site was cheaper so ive got a couple on order now :D

thanks for the link gereen50, will be gearing it so i can have fun around town, not bothered about highway speeds but that link had some good info :D
ya supermoto jumkies looks like a pretty cool site!

·
we are 138
6,063 Posts
This thread makes me want a sumo. Ive got my go fast bike and my 45-47 mpg highway bike already. Id like to expand to include a city hooligan fun as hell sumo. Im a total noob when dealing with anything thats not an inline 4. What can you expect from a bike like this after its all done? Let me rephrase. How would you describe the bike to someone with only streetbike experience?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
fighterer still learning
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hey buddy
i would say do it!
im doing this one on the cheap and its still gonna be sooo much fun
the wheels im using are only gonna set me back about £100 fitted compared to excel type spoked wheels at about £400+++

in the city there soo much better than a sportbike, much more nimble and power right from the bottom being a single cyclinder and get a set of semi sticky/sticky tyres and they handle pretty awesome too
all in all around town there one of the best options see if you can get a ride on one somewhere then go balls deep and just do it!! :D

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Looking good!

Daft question - is milling that disc the best way to go? Seems to me you risk warping it at least a little bit. A swift eBay search (take it for what it's worth) says that there's an easier way... Compare the tech drawings:

Katana:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Brak...70?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5ae87726ce

600SRAD etc.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Brak...67?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5ae87726cb

So you just need a new/used rear disc off one of these for a bolt-on fit:

Suzuki GSX R 600 SRAD Year: 1997-2008
Suzuki SV 650 /S IZQ. Year: 2004
Suzuki GSX 750 R / Limited Year: 1985-1987
Suzuki GSX R 750 SRAD Year: 1996-2008
Suzuki GSX R 1000 Year: 2001-2008
Suzuki SV 1000 / S / SZ Year: 2003
Suzuki TL 1000 R Year: 1998
Suzuki TL 1000 S Year: 1997
Suzuki GSX 1100 R Year: 1986-1988
Suzuki SV 1000 All Year:2003-2008
Suzuki SV 650 Year:2003-2008
Easier than milling a disc down, and you'll get a proper pad contact area, too.

Guessing you'll be wanting a nice big front disc and some tasty caliper on a bracket? A similar search says an old GSX-R disc will get you from 290 out to 310mm. Worth a though unless you already have the disc!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Bra...16?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5ae8772760
vs
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Bra...02?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5ae8772752

Any ideas on what to do with the front guard, or just go at it with a hacksaw?

·
fighterer still learning
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
a_morti:
your a legend for bringing that up!! will start searching the good ole bay now! :D thanks alot for the advice!

for the front disk i have a tl1000 disc (getting mount holes redrilled to fit the gsx wheel), using that as its nice and big and doesnt have an offset so it gives me more room to play with! (that and the everything only cost me £65 posted from a mate :D) will be making my own caliper bracket when i get the wheel on there and centered.
will be using the original caliper for now but ideally i want a dif master cyclinder and caliper (4 pot maybe) with a braided line so wen i swap wheels i can swap the whole front brake system and hang it up so i can have an awesome brake setup for road and a alright setup for offroad. just need a decent priced master cyclinder and a caliper (might have a vfr master and caliper somewhere from my project but thats a 2 piston pull type caliper, still better than standard tho)
not too fussed about the front muddy, wont be cutting it as i will be using this bike offroad........ could get a stubby short one for road but then it would look too new compared to the rest of the scratched plastics lol

my front wheel bearings turned up today! only ordered the night before yesterday! an was only basic postage! so MASSIVE thanks to racing geek for finding that site.
and all the bits are at my mates waiting to be machined now :D not long! lol

1 - 20 of 48 Posts