Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:shocker: Let's get this shit started.

All money in this thread is NZD, will convert to GBP at the final tally
Bike: '88 Suzuki GN250 $665
Mods so far:
repainted frame $10 (lol rattle can)
Scratch built loom $0, old crap sitting around
GS450 tank $23
DR600 motor $40 (scored for $20!!!!! then got a new cam with it for an extra 20, I love people who desperately need to make the wife happy by cleaning the shed)
Modified seat for teh sexiness $0 (will go up when I make a custom cover)
anything fitted is painted or polished $lots-of-time
MX bars $45
eGay tail light $17

Running total: $800NZ

Got the bike last year and ripped in to it.
Currently looks like this, I'll need to get prettier pics

The motor test fitted with the old tank
:knucks:

Let the madness begin.

Any paint job ideas, or ideas in general, or tits is greatly appreciated. :LolLolLolLol:

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
With all due respect for the other builders in this contest, I think I found my front runner! I love the idea of a 600 thumper swap, this should be very cool!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got a spare minute or three during my lunch (okay, I'm self employed with poor time management)
So, bolted the tank up, bolted the top end on the engine (still waiting for the gaskets and piston)

Me like big motor!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Got some etch primer and high build primer today, with some body filler to gett he tank finished, I'll include these in the price even though I do a shit load of body work, just to make it harder for myselfs

No pics as nothing new has been done apart from dropping the speedo 15mm.

So my priorities for shit to scrounge/buy are:
Switch gear
Another rear wheel, so I can lace it to the front hub and have a nice 16x3.5 on the front instead of the gay cruiser 18in that's probably designed to attract **** and cruiser riders.
Scrounge some steel for rear engine mount
Bribe a mate of mine to make up top and front engine mounts, got to have some custom CNC bling somewhere eh?

Will upload pics when the tank is primer.

Running total is a whopping $850 NZD

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Might buy me some Plasti Dip (it's a bit costly here though) and do the tank with it
It's done in etch primer now, but need to smooth it with spot/knife putty then throw some high build shit on it, just coz I'm lazy

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
i wanna try that plasti dip stuff. never used it before but read a lotta good stuff about it. i wanna paint match my bike for now until i can afford a nice paint job, i think im gonna try the plasti dip for it but not sure how the parts will look after pealing it off.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your ZX6 has massive potential for awesomeness!
Thanks bro, I think I'll keep my "sensible" bike :D

If I get some spare time, tank will be smoothed properly and with the final layer of primer today. Got a real big polishing job I'm doing at the moment though

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Primed

Looking at finding some 17 inch rims, there were a few 'zukis that ran 4 or 4.5 inch wide rears, they're 36 spoke too. I've found one, but I'll keep my wallet in my pocket 'till I find some decent condition ones.
Otherwise I'll buy another 16 and lace it to the front, but we all know 17 is sexy.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks man!

I'm real tempted to cafe Geoff, but I'm doing my best to keep it practical.
If I go single seat, I'll be needing clip ons (gotta look right!) and I'll have to rear-set the pegs.

People keep making me want to do this lol Ya never know, a set of clip ons might turn up in my letter box one day soon, then it'll be cafe time!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Won't fit, cheers though! I've got mighty big 30mm forks on this bugger :D

Spent some more time on the tank, still a bit of work to do as it's in pretty bad shape and I'm fuckin' fussy
Stripped the rear shocks, they're fucked and non serviceable. I have considered drilling/tapping a hole in them to bleed the fluid out and then put some new stuff in, but I'm not entirely sure it'd work...

Going to rebuild the forks too because I found a full bottle of Repsol fluid while searching for a thing (forgot what it was when I found the fluid, now I'm confused!) so I'll order a set of seals, once stripped down and everything's checked.

Might look at making an adjustable pre-load set up on these, and possibly install some emulators.
Hopefully I can do something with the old rear shocks though, otherwise I'll just buy some shit, but pretty ones from the land of cheap.

Anybody got any experience with non-serviceable shocks, or some old ones they don't need? 310mm, longer would be okay.

Another thought; I do want to keep the classic style twin seat and bars, so I can have scrambler pipes and look cool like Steve McQueen, but, I think I need to bulk the seat up as it looks real thin, thoughts on that idea?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is pretty awesome :D
I'll build the seat up so it's thicker and see if that looks okay

Or I'll lose the plot and make a cafe, but everyone does that these days

Might as well include a pic of how Geoff looked when I got him

One mo-fuggin' ugly duck

1 - 20 of 93 Posts