Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
321 - 340 of 365 Posts

·
That just happened
246 Posts
Aite I've been up and down this thread a few times and I got a question, Is anyone running these on the street or only on track bikes? I like this idea for my track bike for weight purposes, but I like it even more for tucking it in somewhere on my street bike, if it can handle it.

·
113 Posts
I am behind the times on this. Will these provide enough cranking amps for a street bike? Will the stock charging system work with this type of battery? How much weight and space do you save?

Alex

[email protected]
after a couple years messing with these...... the concentrated straigh truth is....
1 you have to have a modern bike to run it. Older non-electric controlled bikes like old cb750s and stuff dont have the charging amps to recharge them
2 yes they are super light
3 yes they are super powerful
4 yes they are super small

lipo is dangerous. Dont use them. get life04. pretty close to the same thing but a lot safer

And finally..... This thread has almost been made extinct becase there are a ton of companies out there now making these packs for a great price with a warrante and everything. Shit I even seen one in a mag I picked up yesterday that was the same size and shape as a stock battery but only weighs a couple pounds for stock applications.

·
******* Dumbass
5,796 Posts
after a couple years messing with these...... the concentrated straigh truth is....
1 you have to have a modern bike to run it. Older non-electric controlled bikes like old cb750s and stuff dont have the charging amps to recharge them
2 yes they are super light
3 yes they are super powerful
4 yes they are super small

lipo is dangerous. Dont use them. get life04. pretty close to the same thing but a lot safer

And finally..... This thread has almost been made extinct becase there are a ton of companies out there now making these packs for a great price with a warrante and everything. Shit I even seen one in a mag I picked up yesterday that was the same size and shape as a stock battery but only weighs a couple pounds for stock applications.
We were talkng about that a while back, and complaining about the stupid connectors as an install. Good to see these showing up in a way most people can mount them without bitching up thier wiring harness. Nothing says "quality" like some half-assed soldered together potential wiring fault.

·
Cmon' Kitty!
777 Posts
My homemade one finally died after 4 years (generator on bike died, drew the battery down to 0.5V, no coming back from that one.)

I totally trust a 4cell (small) battery to run a 600 or smaller on the street. I was never left stranded. You need to make sure the bike is in good shape though, it's only going to crank over 2-3 "tries".

Never had any problems with charging, even let it sit over the winter once and it still worked in the spring without touching it.

I'm running a $72 battery tender tiny lithium pack now to replace the old homemade one.

Reactions: MikeGyver

·
Registered
7 Posts
So what do you do around charging the pack, does it charge normally and do you balance at all?
I had several lithium type batteries, Po & Fe, for my RC cars and needed a special charger and balancer.
I was going to try and make a pack from my RC leftovers, but do I need to alter my bikes wiring so the battery isn't getting charged and just pop it on my charger when it needs it, or can it charge off the bike?

89 Sportster 883
Needs a new battery, cheap owner...

·
Lazy bastard
1,116 Posts
Do you guys use 26650 cells only, or can this also be done with 18650 cells? They seem to be more readily available in India.
You should only use LiFePo-cells for fire safety.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hey guys,
Soldering Lipo cells is bad for the cells chemistry and will damage them. The only way to connect cells properly is to spot weld nickel tabs on the terminals. There are several DIY battery spot welders available online and I recently got one put together and have now built two motorcycle batteries, one for my BMW R1200RS and one for dad's FJR. Another crucial part of battery building is the balance wires and connector. To charge the battery properly a hobby charger with the ability to charge Lipo batteries is needed.
I also used an Anderson connector so the battery can be easily removed in winter.

I finished the batteries using some huge heat shrink tube from ebay.

·
Registered
208 Posts
How did it went with spot welding. I heard they tent to explode sometimes. Does the settings differ from NiCd NiMh ones?
It's the only way cells can be linked without damaging the cells. I'm not sure who you heard that info from because commercially it's the only method used.

Where did you get the cells? Last I looked on eBay I couldn't find them.
They are dewalt 26650 cells, I stock piled "broken" 36v packs for a year or so. But you can buy new production a123 LiFePo4 cells online (not ebay) for about $8 per cell.

·
V four honda whore
12,560 Posts
We have a spot welder at work, and we make NiCd, NiMh packs. And the guy, responsible for makin em now, claims that if you overlap nickel strips one over another they tend to explode. That i dont believe 100%. Thats why i asked about settings

·
Registered
208 Posts
We have a spot welder at work, and we make NiCd, NiMh packs. And the guy, responsible for makin em now, claims that if you overlap nickel strips one over another they tend to explode. That i dont believe 100%. Thats why i asked about settings
Interesting! All my packs have at least 4 layer of nickel strips. Reason being, the first pack I made with nickel plated steel strips(crap) lit up like the 4th of July when I tried to start my bike.
That was 8 months ago and at the time I didn't have time or funds to devote toward the project(6 week premature baby).
Within the last month I've spent time researching and largely because of the "e-bike" scene there is tons of in-depth tutorials on building LiFe packs.
A couple of important points I picked up:
1. Use only a battery spot welder to affix battery tabs, this is what I got and it works perfectly.
2. Use only pure nickel strips and read carefully because most sellers will try and hide the fact that their steps are plated steel.
3. Depending on current requirements, use multiple layers of strips, again I used 4 between the main cells and 2 to tie the parallel cells together.
4. Don't forget the balance lines that provide the charger with the voltage of cells individually. This helps maintain the integrity of the pack as a whole by making sure each cell is at the same village.
5. Use a real Lipo charger to charge/discharge/balance and even determine the pack capacity, what I and many others have
6. Group cells with similar voltage/capacity in the same pack.

·
Registered
208 Posts
We have 18650, and couple of clients wanting to do it
I guess one other thing to note is when welding the tabs, you want to keep the heat to a minimum. I went from cell to cell only doing one weld per cell until each cell had 3-4 welds. The welder should be adjusted so that a solid weld is produced but no more current than necessary to keep heat down.

321 - 340 of 365 Posts