Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to bend some custom brackets. I have made flimsy brackets from bending steel sheet metal from home depot but I want something a little more sturdy for gauges and such. I want to use aluminum, what is a good easy to bend yet good thickness aluminum sheet to start with? I was thinking .125"? Any advice?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That's what I was looking for. A thickness that would easily bend without breaking and without using heat but still sturdy.

·
Mad Sconnie
2,602 Posts
I've had 1/8" aluminum crack when trying to bend a 90 degree. If you bend it around a radius (even a small one) it does much better.
It also depends on what alloy you use as well. If you use 6061, it will usually crack when trying to bend it. The shop I work at only uses 5052-H32 when we are bending aluminum sheet. It can be bent with a very tight radius (we use 1/32" as standard) without cracking.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It also depends on what alloy you use as well. If you use 6061, it will usually crack when trying to bend it. The shop I work at only uses 5052-H32 when we are bending aluminum sheet. It can be bent with a very tight radius (we use 1/32" as standard) without cracking.
I'm glad I saw this first. I was getting ready to order some sheet and was having a hard time picking the temper. My choices where T6, O temper, and H32.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts