Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new, and I couldn't find if this has been done in the search so thought I'd ask.

I need to do some work on my standard loom to make it tidier and while I was doing my preparing and tinkering with finding spaces for relays etc started thinking about totally rebuilding my 1997 Fireblade loom to seperate the power from the signal info.

I know it may be one of those jobs that takes for ever and nobody notices, but if I am building my perfect bike, I'd like it perfect! ;)

Is there any weight saving or added reliability in moving the relays to a central location and keeping the 12v cables to just powering stuff?

Then I would convert all the extra wires to ribbons to just power the idiot lights and clocks and switches?

Has it been done?

Is it done?

Is it worth doing?

:doh:

·
Breaking shit...
3,293 Posts
Only advice i have is this: Mark EVERY wire you cut free on both ends of the cut with tape and a permanent marker (used what I thought was a good pen once and found that I wiped the writing off when I handled the tape).

Measure everything twice (at least) and test fit to the frame/motor frequently to make sure everything reaches properly. Ive built some harnesses for automotive stuff at work and its tedious, slow going work but not terribly difficult.

And have a shop manual or the full system schematic in case you biff something.

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
molex connectors or weather pack connectors. Wiring can add up very quick.

Braided wiring loom makes it really look neat.

When you are running wire make sure to mock it all up with wire tires before you solder. I also like to test circuits a few times throughout the process before i have to cut it back out and redo it because it won't work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts