Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well at only an hour and a half every monday night for 12 weeks...its safe to say I am now at a level I feel is capable of welding up my own subframes :) these 2 weld were done vertically today...

T-Fillet weld:

Outside edge weld

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
Nice job man.
The top picture, the fillet weld, is it up side down from how you welded it by chance?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice job man.
The top picture, the fillet weld, is it up side down from how you welded it by chance?
yes it is :LolLolLolLol: stupid phone rotates my photos for no reason!

·
3,993 Posts
yes it is :LolLolLolLol: stupid phone rotates my photos for no reason!
Mine does the same thing lol.
So on that note... try turning the heat down, or the wire speed up, or slow down your travel speed. Starting with whatever your parameters were set to for that weld, change one thing at a time and only adjust it a tiny bit.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
more than happy with my progress...tested both of my welds and i am satisfied that my welds would be strong enough on a subframe i built...plus I'm only 70kg so don't need much :LolLolLolLol:

·
3,993 Posts
A properly-laid fillet weld in mild steel can hold a bit over 900lbs per linear inch, per 1/16" of fillet. So yeah, your welds are strong enough for a subframe :D
I wasn't trying to imply that they're not strong enough, just giving you some direction to move forward with. I've seen guys that are supposed to be certified welders lay worse beads, so you're on the right track.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A properly-laid fillet weld in mild steel can hold a bit over 900lbs per linear inch, per 1/16" of fillet. So yeah, your welds are strong enough for a subframe :D
I wasn't trying to imply that they're not strong enough, just giving you some direction to move forward with. I've seen guys that are supposed to be certified welders lay worse beads, so you're on the right track.
yer i know you weren't implying anything and i appreciate the tips :) sadly no more 240amp welder from the workshop now so gonna have to find my own one to weld with now...second hand industrial unit probably? will have an eBay look now

that fillet weld info is some cool info to know!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
might want to practice on some tubing.
have done some tubing practice just didn't have any the other day :) did a 'weld test' e.g. tatted it with a hammer a lot n it help fine :LolLolLolLol:

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
Oh that's BS we all know you used JB weld!

Looking nice! be sure to buy some tube and practice on that first before you go through all the trouble of bending it all nicey nice and they have an oops!

My favorite weld test when I was learning was to weld it, then throw it on the ground repeatedly and bash it with a hammer. LOL, if it deformed before it broke, I was good. Never had any fancy ultrasonic stuff, but props to the guys that have to do that kind of welding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts