Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is centered in the arm? Or is it slightly offset? If offset, which way, and how much?

(I'm machining some shit up and need to get this kind of stuff sorted out.)

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
I thought all wheels were centered in the swingarm.....the larger spacer would be to make up for the lack of the brake caliper bracket wouldnt it? I dunno I may be wrong

·
GURU
1,858 Posts
^^^ that's what I thought as well, That's what my concern was with the gix1100 rim I'm throwing on. If there's less space by the caliper and more by the sprocket, a larger spacer would need to be placed between the wheel and the caliper hanger.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You would think that they would all be perfectly centered in the arm, but not all arms have a perfect centerline with the frame. ;)

The amount of center on the rear wheel in regards to the arm isn't as important as the "centerline" of the bike along it's length.

People talk a lot about wobbles and what causes them... well... one HUGE cause of wobble is when the front and rear wheel aren't on the same "centerline" when the front wheel is perfectly straight.

If you look at an R1 swingarm, for whatever reason the arm is actually slightly offset to one side of the pivot sleeve.

You have to remember that all references to "center" of the rear axle have to be made from the point of pivot, so where the arm attaches to the frame.

If one were to take the arm and hang it by the pivot sleeve, use a level to make sure that it is in fact hanging properly, and then use a plum line, one could see that the arm is in fact not centered comparing the pivot sleeve and the axle shaft.

This is where my question comes in though.... is the wheel "centered" in accordance to the pivot, or the axle?

(I may just have to get the setup done that I described above to really figure it out.)

I know my bike won't be doing 200mph or anything, but I am a bit of a stickler for geometry and such....

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
A wheel pointed to one side makes a bike kinda squirrely coming out of a corner.

There's still no easy way to measure alignment on a lot of bikes..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts