Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

do you?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
Yes, but I do think there should be two categories, one for people with lathes and Mills, and one for poor people like me that just use a sawzall and a grinder.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Yes, but I do think there should be two categories, one for people with lathes and Mills, and one for poor people like me that just use a sawzall and a grinder.
Then you also gotta break it down to people who have CNC vs manual hand-cranking / no digital readout mills (which afaik is just me and the old Bridgey I use at at the shop). And what about fiberglass and carbon, with those you have the unfair advantage of additive build up!

Joke. What I WOULD suggest is that people mention the working methods used to produce a part. Helps in appreciating the work.

I don't see the need for various categories because part of what's cool about custom parts is seeing how people deal with the limits of the tools they have. Some folks find a way around them, some make it the basis of the part's 'style', etc. TBH, if something is full CNC, I loose some interest; I can't learn much from looking at examples of CNC because its not an option for me, so personally I'd rather see something done with a sawzall and grinder!

I'm pretty much at the phase of my bike build where I'm doing nothing BUT building parts, plus I have an item I was working on for somebody else, so it should be a no brainer for me to participate. But I never seem to get anything done on a time table, so who knows....

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,361 Posts
I thought the deadline for finishing was March 1 for some reason, I guess I should sleep more. If the deadline for parts is 6/1 then I'll enter my carbon fiber gas tank.

·
☢
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd have to look at an old parts build off, but they'd be the same as before. I don't know if a bike build would prohibit the parts made for that bike from being entered into the parts build off. But the parts build off was originally aimed at those who didn't want or need to build a complete bike.
As for pro v. am categories, no, not gonna happen, we don't do that for the bike build off or the fotm. It's all for fun anyways, and there won't be any prizes (most likely) for the parts winner as all the funds are going to the bike build off.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Meh, I don't think I'd enter... But I'd sure as hell watch... Went with don't care based on that... I don't really think any parts I build are all that interesting. Oh well...

·
Is my bike ok?
15,008 Posts
No. I wanna see the "poor" people with basic hand tools whip up on the guys with CNC capabilities. Think Grouch's fab work. Where is that dude? Loved seeing his updates.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,361 Posts

·
10,597 Posts
cnc is no guarantee of a decent finished part, a shit idea will continue to be shit irrespective of how its produced

might just be shinier shit :LolLolLolLol:

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Il enter if there is...I have ordered all the metal i need for my swingarm. just need to bolt my bender into the ground and get started.
I'll be entering a 'swing arm' as well. Lower control arm on my Hossack needs to get done ASAP.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts