Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Peon
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So I finished a group ride with my buddies, them on their hogs, me on my zx-11.. 2 days after I get back home, the motor gives up the ghost... like broken connecting rod.. gone... Good ol number 3.

·
Peon
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, the ZX11 has known flaws and issues that must be addressed.. So I do some research and settle in for an engine swap... the most straight forward replacement/displacement/upgrade is the ZZR1200 which is no slouch compared to the ZX1100 and uses the same carbs and exhaust and engine mounts and fixes the main issues by using 2 oil pumps instead of 1 and revised oiling... And unlike the ZX11, Big Blocks are still available for the ZZR.

I sourced a clean motor from a recently running bike.... and I get in touch with Ben @ Legion Cycles in Middletown, Delaware... and we get to work.

A lot of cigars are smoked, a few beers are drunk and we throw ideas back and forth and think about what kind of look and feel we want and then pare it back to what's feasible and not specifically dangerous... and mostly we just look at the bike and talk.

·
Peon
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always liked the look of single sided swingarms, but kawasaki never did one. I've also thought the zx11 needed a fatter tire. I wedged a 180 or 190 under mine. I think in the 90s they came with a 150 or 170... Well I decided to make a 240 rear tire happen... but I wasn't paying big money for a roaring toys setup and my welding isn't up to par, yet, to fabricate my own.

I sourced a late model vfr800 rear end, complete with wheel, shock and brakes. I have lurked around and seen guys use this to do car tires, and 240 tires on 4x100 17inch honda rims... Right now I'm trying to figure out how wide of a rim I can use and still have the tire centered in line with the frame... but I don't think that's going to happen... I think I'm going to need close to an inch of offset.

·
Peon
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Not lighter, but stronger and Much Cooler.

Only shaved 3/8ths off of each side of the swingarm and slid it right in... yay!

Not quite a 240, but still nice and centered.. with only about half an inch of clearance at the stock offset.

That is the money shot right there....

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
Zx11's came stock with a 5.5" rear rim and 180mm tire stock for all production years.

I think I've only seen one other Zx11 with a SSSA. So this is already turning into an interesting build.

Later, Doug

Reactions: nphocus

·
Peon
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I had a spare swingarm, I would try it... but the frame was already surprisingly thin and a bit of a pain to weld, especially with the rubber liner that's inside the entire frame. The idea of speed holing did get tossed around but we weren't sure about its effect on it's structural integrity.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
The idea of speed holing did get tossed around but we weren't sure about its effect on it's structural integrity.
I'm surprised you holed the frame, I would be super concerned you severely weakened the frame. In fact, I am.

·
Peon
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm surprised you holed the frame, I would be super concerned you severely weakened the frame. In fact, I am.
Look at the pics of the frame again and then think about it.. The frame wasn't just holed, it was filled with aluminum tubing that's actually thicker gauge than what the frame is made from.. and it's circles... The frame will be heavier and also substantially stronger... now if it was just swiss cheesed... yeah, that would be weaker and suck consider the frame is hollow and thin gauge aluminum to start with... the welded tubing insterted makes it stronger than leaving it an open box.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
Look at the pics of the frame again and then think about it.
Believe me, I studied the pictures for awhile and thought about it since last night, hence my delayed post. I understand the concept and your reasoning, but that that doesn't make me any less concerned. Hell, you could show me all the maths that justify your claims of being stronger and I'd still be concerned, that's how I roll :)

Enough from me, carry on.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Isn't aluminum significantly weakened/way more prone to cracking in the heat affected zone around welds? Did you de-stress or heat treat the frame in any way after welding? Did you have it fixed in some kind of jig while cutting and welding or is it warped and sagged all to piss?

Not trying to pick your project apart dude, I think it looks good and definitely follow the logic on it nominally being stiffer/stronger. Keep in mind that stiffening and strengthening the frame in some areas may concentrate force on weaker areas that still have flex and lead to swift cracking there as well.

I just want you to be aware of this shit so you can take it into consideration. If I'm just saying shit you already know, my bad.

Gotta practice good ORM there devil dog. :D

·
Registered
625 Posts
Ive actually had a stock zx11 crack at all 4 points where the subframe meets the main part of the frame.
A friends bike also cracked around the subframe but not as bad as mine did.
I'd have just found a way to brace the frame more rather than cut into it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've raced (drags) and toured on a ZZR1100.
I had the C model, yours is a D, UK etc never called them ZX11's.

They aren't bad bikes, a bit portly and lack the new stuffs top end punch
but they go OK have a nice solid feel to them.

First thing most owners do is flip the chain adjusters upside down to
raise the rear, help a little, yours is set stock with the rear low.

Not bad bikes at all, can be improved on, but not by fitting oversize
wheels and tyres and drilling holes in the frame! It isn't some lame cruiser... LOL

·
Peon
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Swingarm is mounted, zzr1200 engine is in, the muzzy exhaust from my zx11 bolted right on... the mounting tab on the hanger is rubbing the arm, so that will be cut off and maybe a small pie cut in the exhaust to kick it out further. I'm not willing to slash cut it and run it without a silencer right now. I'm thinking about maybe a smaller supertrapp exhaust, but I have no experience with them, so that's still just a thought.

Still need to pop one more hole in the frame and grind the stock ram air hole flush. Right now I'm thinking of bedlining the frame black and leaving the inner holes unpainted and polishing them. You can see where the exhaus is rubbing the swingarm in this pic.

Those are 72Watt LED lightbars with spots in the center and floods on the ends. The bottom will be wired to always on, aka low beam. The upper will be tied into the stock high beam switch so it will pass inspection. The ugly square knob above the ignition key is my usb charging port, that's going away, along with the ignition key it's sitting on. The lights on the wheels will stay. I think they are either 24 or 48 watts. The bracket will be improved to a 150mph rating... what you see there is NOT.

Temporarily sat the lights up front. The builder wanted 8 inch lights, but fuck that, they weren't nearly bright enough. These are 12 inches and 4 times the lumens. It's still an awful lot of ugly, and that's not including the lines and wiring that's not even hooked up yet. We originally were thinking of doing a number plate and setting the lights in/on the plate... now we are thinking something along the lines of a shield that goes from above the tire to the width of the reservoirs on the clipons. make it all purty with some rivets n whatnot. round it to match the contour we want. Mount the lights behind the shield and cut out square openings for the light to shine thru and cover the opening with mesh to protect the lights... it should also reduce the total light output to something less than completely fucking annoying for other drivers...not that I care.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts