Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rocking stock pipes and seriously need to upgrade to let the other engine mods do their thing.

My hang up is choosing between a 4-1 or a 4-2 system.

A 4-1 just seems right and there's an obvious weight savings there. But, the double-stacked header just looks low and clunky to me. A 4-2 tucks up sooo nice and tight.

Then there is power curve concerns. I don't know, but to me it seems a 4-2 would produce more real world, everyday useable bottom end power vs the 4-1 top end charge.

So what would you do? Oh, and 4-1 systems are cheaper, so....

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is what a 4-1 looks like on these bikes. Racy looking, but where the two head pipes stack to enter the collector just seem wrong to me.

There's an oil filter hiding behind those head pipes :doh:

And the 4-2. Symmetrical and tucked up nicely.

Sadly,these Kerker 4-1 systems are no longer available. They tuck up nice and oil filter access is wide open. THIS is the system i really,really want! :(

But of course cash is king,right? A 4-2 is gonna cost me around $425-450 + shipping. My bud that has a bike shop can get me a Vance & Hines chrome 4-1 for $320 and no shipping costs. One part of me digs the retro look of the 4-2, but another part of me misses the howl of a 4-1.

Tough call: price,looks,sound? hmm....

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
You know my vote...I love my exhaust and you can get the oil filter out between the pipes. Its probably a little louder than what you are looking for, but the style and performance overcome that...plus you will never have to worry about people hearing you coming. Just my .02

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol I knew you were gonna say that :D I'm just a little worried about a painted system,but the price is right on yours and they do sound damn good. Pipes that sound like that get me in trouble though...with myself,that is. I plan on keeping this bike for a while and think the chrome will hold up better for me.

How's your paint holding up for ya?

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
this is just an idea and i wont be offended when it gets ripped apart. Have you thought abount making your own exhaust?

If you would do a 4 into 1 and have one on each side scrambler style i think it would be awesome. It isnt something you see on fighters alot so to me it just makes sense. I dont know what resources you are working with or what you have available to you so it is just an idea.

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
lol I knew you were gonna say that :D I'm just a little worried about a painted system,but the price is right on yours and they do sound damn good. Pipes that sound like that get me in trouble though...with myself,that is. I plan on keeping this bike for a while and think the chrome will hold up better for me.

How's your paint holding up for ya?
So far so good. It faded a little bit, but even after scraping it a little on a really hard right turn its still holding up and looking good!!

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm...scrambler pipes. Like high pipes? That is interesting. I'd thought about building my own pipes before but,in order to minimize downtime, I decided to just buy aftermarket.

But now you really got me thinking. I think ill get a few good pics of the bike while the pipes are off and do some photoshopping with some high pipes.

Thanks for the idea man, this might be a winner here.

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
wow, thought for sure i would be told to stfu lol. Cant wait to see what you come up with

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I'll be buying something mas produced for now. Which doesn't sit well with me. I just don't want the down time right now. I've got a couple months of rideable weather left for this season and I'm afraid I'm gonna hurt the engine riding it like this.

High pipes on what some would consider an original superbike is so wrong it just begs to be done.

... after scraping it a little on a really hard right turn ....
:( Dude...you're not helping me with my 4-1 fears. :D

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
I figured as much..but you have to keep in mind my bike is probably a little lower than yours because the guy that welded up my shock mounts put them a little too far back. It only happened once and I have been over farther than that...I think it was just the way the road was right there.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1 Posts
New member here.
I have a 1980 CB750F which is an ongoing project to say the least. A while ago I got ahold of a Vance and Hines 4into1 exhaust. The problem arose when I first attempted to put it on. The foot brake hits the muffler (megaphone) portion of the exhaust when depressed due to its downward curvature to go under the right foot peg. Has anyone seen this issue before? Of course there are a few things I COULD do fabrication wise to get around it but its a beautiful exhaust and I'd rather not dimple it or otherwise modify it. Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts