Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

81 - 100 of 241 Posts

·
UnicycleMode
7,567 Posts
Tank graphics!

Got bored, started playing with the Harley fonts lol

That shit seriously hurts my eyes. :wtf:

Stock engine with custom crank and cams? Cuz thats what i would love to have. Early 900rr with crossplane

I am not sure how far I would go with modifying a 180hp capable engine to produce any more than is needed in bumpy, twisty, back roads. But back when a certain west coast youtube channel (rnickymouse) was broadcasting major crashes on a particular hairpin corner (top of mulholland dr), they captured a R1 just being a hoon, and the sound of the 4-1 pipe sounded, to me, like the MotoGP M1, and that hearkened back to my years riding a friends GSXR1000 K7 (back in '07-08) with a Jardine GP-1 that made it sound like a WSBK machine on the clutch-less upshift, and even more so on the "down 3 and fan the clutch" backing it in all the way to the apex maneuvers. The R1 takes way less to sound like a superbike engine, than say, a CBR1000RR engine. :D

Video that I fell in love with the crossplane exhaust note...

·
V four honda whore
12,321 Posts
no i meant making 900rr engine into crossplane or just use yamaha one

·
Rollin hard in Wiscompton
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Not much to report. Ebayed a swingarm pivot bolt and a rear axle. Went to the yard today and scored a GS1000 wheel with axle, spacers, etc. Rear shocks from a Magna. Tach cable from another GS1k, upper triple bearing so I can least swap the front end in for mockup, other misc. Not all the parts fit, but enough of what I picked up will work that I should have a roller by this weekend.

In the mean time, I had 3 teeth ripped out of my head today, holy fucking christ do I hurt right now.

·
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Some shit pics, but here goes. Swingarm pivot bolt and rear axle came in today.

A couple washers or seals and this thing will be pretty centered.

Loosely assembled.

The GS stem and triples aren't sitting fully seated, at the bottom, and the upper bearing I grabbed from the yard is a little too tall, so the upper tripple doesn't sit down far enough for the top nut and washer to go on very far. And the front wheel is tight as shit to roll. So with that, here's the current list of things I need to make this a proper roller:

steering bearing kit
front and rear wheel bearings
rear axle spacer (between drum and swingarm)
end seals and/or washers for the swingarm (at the pivot bolt)
kick stand and spring
bushings for the shocks to properly fit the KZ frame and swingarm (posts on the Magna were larger, need to make new metal bushings to go in the rubber bushings and sit to the KZ without slop)
front and rear tires

Beyond that, I also need the following:
front brake calipers, lines, and master
throttle assembly
handlebars
tank
seat
switches & fuse/relay box
lights
foot rests
shifter and linkage
brake pedal and linkage
engine mounts
rear fender
chain

I'm prolly forgetting some shit, but thats most of it right there.

I've got a headlight I want to use, but it may not be so viable. Got a couple other options in mind.

Electrical will be easy. The DR/GN engine technically only requires the CDI and a ground wire/kill switch to run. The switches I run will be a handlebar mount, 3 button pod. 2 momentaries and an on/off. Momentaries for engine kill and horn, and on/off for lights.
Here's the pod:

And the relay/fuse box. Tiny little bugger:

For the foot rests, I still have the aircraft pedals that Mongo scored for me a while back.

I know what kind of handlebars I want to run, and I still want to use some FatBob tanks. I'm trying to see how small of a battery I can find or run on this. The tanks can't sit above the frame, they'll be far too high and will interfere with the steering. I'm planning to mount them at half depth to the frame. The cover panel I make to go over the gap between the tanks will have a quick release so I can lift it, since I'll mount the fuse/relay block under it. If I can find a small enough battery, I'd like to hide it under there as well. Would help make the bike look clean and simple.

So here's a question on that note. I haven't found out if the charging system on this engine is 6v or 12v. The "regulator" or "rectifier" that came with this setup is a little pot looking piece, 2 wires. Not much to it. Here it is below:

If this is 12v, can a lithion pack (A123 cells) safely charge from this? Anyone know? That would be the smallest possible battery I could use, and if I end up with LED for headlight and taillight, power draw will be minimal.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,008 Posts
I don't know the answer to your voltage/battery questions, but I read online that LED lights will not work on AC voltage. Do you know if your system does have a rectifier on not?

However...I did pop a LED spot light on the front of my XR400 ( strictly an AC system) and it works flawlessly. Veeeeeeeery slight flicker at idle, but it's full brightness. If I turn the idle up a couple hundred rpm there is no flicker at all. Just putting that out there.

·
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I don't know the answer to your voltage/battery questions, but I read online that LED lights will not work on AC voltage. Do you know if your system does have a rectifier on not?

However...I did pop a LED spot light on the front of my XR400 ( strictly an AC system) and it works flawlessly. Veeeeeeeery slight flicker at idle, but it's full brightness. If I turn the idle up a couple hundred rpm there is no flicker at all. Just putting that out there.
I have no idea what it runs. Still trying to find that info. I figure worst case scenario, I just dont go out at nights, and recharge the battery every several days so that I still have brake lights. Idk, still working on that lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,602 Posts
That looks like a positive voltage regulator but I'm not seeing a rectifier so it might well be you got a DC dynamo rather than an alternator.

Do you see markings on it like NTE 931 or sth like that?

·
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
That looks like a positive voltage regulator but I'm not seeing a rectifier so it might well be you got a DC dynamo rather than an alternator.

I can post the suzuki part number in a bit. Other than that I'd have to clean it up further and try to see whats under the paint to see if there are any additional markings.

So what parts do you "need" then Dean? It's not like we all aren't sitting on a bunch of misc parts. I know I am
rear axle spacer (between drum and swingarm) for a kz. Here's the kicker. I don't know the year or size of kz that the arm and wheel are off off. Ill measure the gap and post it.

end seals and/or washers for the swingarm (at the pivot bolt)
kick stand and spring

bushings for the shocks to properly fit the KZ frame and swingarm (posts on the Magna were larger, need to make new metal bushings to go in the rubber bushings and sit to the KZ without slop) - these will need to be custom. I'll get dimensions later today hopefully.

front brake calipers, lines, and master for 82 GS850. The '80 GS1000 that I pulled the calipers off of had the wheel mounted to the front of the fork instead of the bottom. The brackets on the 1k calipers don't line up on the 850 forks.

throttle assembly

handlebars - I know what I want, but at this point I'll take any bars that aren't bent up, can always change it later

tank - I've got my old Fat Bob tanks back from Rat, but they're just as funky as they were before. The one side needs an entire section welded in. Might be easier to just find a new pair

seat - anything really. full KZ seat, cut down KZ seat, random Harley seat. Don't matter. Something to bolt in or reshape.

rear fender - I can prolly find something suitable local. I wasn't looking for rear fenders when I was at the yard, but looking back I'm pretty sure there was a fender or 3 that would have worked, so not really counting this as a need.

chain - not even close to ready for chain yet, but it's a future need. I think rat said the existing chain hanging off the 400 was 520 chain. Not sure what the sprocket on the back wheel is, but the rear sprocket is on my list of maintenance items anyway.

·
Super Moderator
5,602 Posts
No need for suzuki part numbers, I just found the wiring diagram a few pages back. It clearly says dynamo not alternator, and the wiring is a dead giveaway too. How well does the thing regulate can pretty much only be determined for sure with a multimeter and a running engine. The bummer part of those dynamos is they usually put out fairly modest currents, like about 100w worth or so which makes about 8-ish amps at 12v.

·
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
I have almost all of that, including the sealed GS brake system for that front end. Make a trip over again and I'll send you home with almost everything on that list. ;)
I was really hoping that axle that I bought had the right spacers. I'm willing to bet if I slot the disc brake rear together, its all there perfectly.

As for the rest, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you load my car with everything above lol.

I was largely putting together a list so I have a progress checklist. It's cool to see everything coming together. I'm gonna take another trip to the yard, prolly this weekend, and see if I come up with anything else. Still need the horns from a Buick or Caddy, and I need parts for the womans car anyway.

·
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
No need for suzuki part numbers, I just found the wiring diagram a few pages back. It clearly says dynamo not alternator, and the wiring is a dead giveaway too. How well does the thing regulate can pretty much only be determined for sure with a multimeter and a running engine. The bummer part of those dynamos is they usually put out fairly modest currents, like about 100w worth or so which makes about 8-ish amps at 12v.
Worst case scenario, I run the lights off a battery. The 18650 cells pack a hell of a punch, and I'm not really intending to do a lot of night riding anyway.

Hmm....wonder if its possible to convert it to a more modern charging system at all.

·
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #98

suzuki number at top 3250027600
another number below it 126900-0011
another box says 6v and another box says 3t

Guess it's only 6v output. Battery packs it is!

So heres the fun part. Do I make a custom pack, or just order some trays to hold 18650 cells?

·
Is my bike ok?
15,008 Posts
I was really hoping that axle that I bought had the right spacers. I'm willing to bet if I slot the disc brake rear together, its all there perfectly.

As for the rest, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you load my car with everything above lol.

I was largely putting together a list so I have a progress checklist. It's cool to see everything coming together. I'm gonna take another trip to the yard, prolly this weekend, and see if I come up with anything else. Still need the horns from a Buick or Caddy, and I need parts for the womans car anyway.
If you run in to dead ends on axle spacers just holler at me. A few aluminum spacers in the mail is only a few bucks. I'd hate to see your get stalled over something this small.

·
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
If you run in to dead ends on axle spacers just holler at me. A few aluminum spacers in the mail is only a few bucks. I'd hate to see your get stalled over something this small.
Much appreciated! Odds are I'll just cut down the spacer I have. As I said earlier, I'm pretty sure the spacer set I have is for the disc brake set, and I'm using the drum brake setup instead.

I'm already at a temporary standstill until end of month. AllBalls is out of stock on one of the steering bearings I need, wont be back in stock until end of month. Pretty much all I can do until then is clean up my parts, work on the front wheel fitment (figure out why it rolls so tight), and wait. Its all good!

81 - 100 of 241 Posts