Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

DougZ's 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 600 fighter " The Beast" Discussion

8K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  DougZ 
#1 ·
DougZ's 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 600 fighter " The Beast" - Official Buildoff Thread

ONLY OFFICIAL BUILDOFF UPDATES SHOULD BE POSTED IN THE OFFICIAL BUILDOFF THREADS!!! ALL DISCUSSIONS SHOULD BE POSTED IN THE BUILDERS DISCUSSION THREAD! ANY POSTS IN THE OFFICIAL THREADS FROM ANYONE OTHER THAN THE BUILDOFF THREAD AUTHOR, WILL BE DELETED.

ALL DISCUSSION ABOUT THIS BUILD SHOULD BE IN HERE!

#7 ·
looks like you'll just have to source another set out somewhere. . . i know we have a set of gsxr 1k forks at my work...3mbe 4 hundo for it.

#9 ·
its forks, and the steering stem. im not sure about the top tripple.
although we do have a front rim...and probably some calipers too. just not with the set but i could find em im sure. mbe 6 for all?? if i can work something out with the boss. should be at least 7 tho.

#12 ·
DougZ said:
Who is this reply for? Me or Enrico?

i was talking to you...;)

whoever wants em i guess.

#17 ·
are you sanding that by hand??

#18 ·
skr00zloose said:
are you sanding that by hand??
I was at first, and then switched to one of those black and decker power hand sanders. There are still some areas of the frame rails that sink in a little and the power sander doesn't get too.Its gonna take a while.

I will still need to get some of those flapper wheels to sand the cast areas, not too mention way more sand paper in way more grits, and steel wool, etc. And I am only basically doing the side areas of the frame, that are seen and easily accessed for maintaining the shine.

#19 ·
im thought youre supposed to do it by hand?! because machines will leave marks in the finish??

mbe the person who told me is just old school. not sure. i've never done it.

looks like its coming along tho Z. keep it up...IMO dont skimp on the areas you cant see so much, cuz someone will see them. i personally always look for that shit on peoples bikes.

#20 ·
Sadly, I got nuttin new to report for my build at this time. I recently got some new sand paper and a flapper wheel to continue polishing of the frame, but even that is on hold being that I am trying to get my SV1K mods done much sooner.

I also have a specific exhaust on the way from Ebay, but the jack ass seller took forever to ship it, and seems it may have been lost in the Fedex system. Shows it was shipped 1/24 from Ca...and has yet to show up. I got Fedex tracing it now. If I get this to work, it will be off the hook. :party-smiley:

#22 ·
So I have been thinking about what I need to do with my bike build and what corners I would cut to get it done in time...and the more I think about it, the more I find I wanna do....and doing anything less would be a disgrace. In my mind, if I can't do it right, no point in doing it.

So, I have decided to officially withdrawal from the contest itself. I am still gonna build my bike, but at the pace that best fits to get it done right. I would rather make a sick bike, and have it get done when it gets done, than, make a so so bike and meet the deadline. FTW. :rock:

#23 ·
DougZ said:
So I have been thinking about what I need to do with my bike build and what corners I would cut to get it done in time...and the more I think about it, the more I find I wanna do....and doing anything less would be a disgrace. In my mind, if I can't do it right, no point in doing it.

So, I have decided to officially withdrawal from the contest itself. I am still gonna build my bike, but at the pace that best fits to get it done right. I would rather make a sick bike, and have it get done when it gets done, than, make a so so bike and meet the deadline. FTW. :rock:

Deadlines suck. I finally got my bike on the road today and it felt great, didn't push it much. I can definately understand doing things right vs. just getting things done.

#24 ·
enrico vespa said:
Deadlines suck. I finally got my bike on the road today and it felt great, didn't push it much. I can definately understand doing things right vs. just getting things done.
yeah, I am not even worried about the mechanical side of things being right....I am fine with that....its the amount of "custom" things I would have to cut out to get it done in time. Just decided, F it...its done when its done. I was also trying to get it done in time to take to the SV rally with me....June 7-11th...that aint gonna happen either. But, it is what it is. :knucks:

#25 ·
I started mocking up my tail last night. The solo tail that I have still needs some finishing work....and from mocking up everything last night, I could see what I need to cut out of my subframe..woo hoo.

I also got a crucial part of my exhaust...on clearance....for $30. It was $130 new....good thing for companies going out of business and their distributors dumping their product cheap.

I also got ordered from my wholesale parts guy, the right triples I need.

No, if it just stops raining sometime soon, I can get back to working on my frame and polishing...and then get my rolling chassis together soon.

#26 ·
doug, you seem to have alot of tools/welding at your disposal, or know people that can do it. The subframe mounts can quite easily except any tail with a custom sub. If I had a welder at my disposal I could have easily made the cbr or a custom one work for 1/3 of the cost. The potenial is there, and the 01-03 has a great look. Ive previously said in my thread, if you are patient you can get the 06 front for like 250ish shipped, you cant complain with that. The harness is easy to work with, you can bypass, the clutch, kickstand, TOS, Igintion, the bike just has ALOT of potential. I really want to see something great from you, I wouldnt be happy any other way

edit--didnt really read all the thread, just my thoughts/advice.

#27 ·
I have the tail figured out....I just have to order some stuff to fab up some custom supports for it. I recently designed some mounts for the custom struts...took a couple tries to get the software to do what I wanted it to do......even though I know from my 2 cent sketch on paper, what I am gonna do. I also did some searching for small gel sealed batts yesterday, and will fab up a custom box for it.

I am gonna save the wiring for last. I will put the bike together, make sure it starts up, and everything works, then go about hacking the harness...checking everything as I got. I do have a very cool electronic oriented thing, that is gonna be sick....provided I can wire it right.

Big picture, I gotta stop talking and start doing.....too many things to do, too little time. LOL I appreciate the interest though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.