Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
CB350Cafe first build
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in building a welding down draft table. Just a small one, maybe 2' x 3'? My shop isn't huge and I want to make it portable. I have a folding bench, and plan to build the table top to fit onto this bench. I have an old rainbow vacuum that sucks everything into water. I thought it would be a good way to get rid of the smoke.

Reactions: ultimate fighter

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
If there's enough smoke to cause concern, he's probably not using shielding gas. Its very common to have hoses to suck away smoke from flux-core and stick welding, can see why a down draft table would have worse effect. But I don't think a vacuum cleaner is gonna draw enough air volume do do much across a 2'x3' surface.

The hoses I'm talking about have maybe 10" diameter funnel opening on the end, and you just lay the funnel opening near the weld site. Seems like you could do that very easily with your vacuum cleaner- just run the vacuum cleaner hose into a hole in the bottom of a bucket, and sit the open bucket mouth near your weld.

My grandma had one of those Rainbow vacums, was pretty nice, but spendy. I've always wanted to try modding a wet-dry shop vac with an internal pipe from the hose inlet that ran down to within .5" of the bottom of the dust bin, then putting a few inches of water in. Seems like it would give the same effect, for much less cost.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
If there's enough smoke to cause concern, he's probably not using shielding gas. Its very common to have hoses to suck away smoke from flux-core and stick welding, can see why a down draft table would have worse effect. But I don't think a vacuum cleaner is gonna draw enough air volume do do much across a 2'x3' surface.

The hoses I'm talking about have maybe 10" diameter funnel opening on the end, and you just lay the funnel opening near the weld site. Seems like you could do that very easily with your vacuum cleaner- just run the vacuum cleaner hose into a hole in the bottom of a bucket, and sit the open bucket mouth near your weld.

My grandma had one of those Rainbow vacums, was pretty nice, but spendy. I've always wanted to try modding a wet-dry shop vac with an internal pipe from the hose inlet that ran down to within .5" of the bottom of the dust bin, then putting a few inches of water in. Seems like it would give the same effect, for much less cost.
It was a joke. ;)

What you are referring to is a personal weld vent device. Lincoln makes one that comes with a magnetic mount for your table.

·
CB350Cafe first build
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
was a pretty lofty idea coming from a newb learning to weld :doh: I am running gas...75/25 CO2/Argon.

Its just not practical.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts