Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off, welcome to the site!

I saw that you are looking for help and advice so i figured we should just start a thread specifically for you.

his bike is a 1983 Suzuki GS750E.

One of our members (thasick1) is fightering up a 1981 gs750 so you may want to keep an eye on that.
thread is here: http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2285

as far as advice...mbe give us an idea of where you want to go with this bike and/or how much work you want to or can afford to do.

If i had a bike like that to work on, my main goal would be to update the technology on the bike. basically i would want to set it up with some of the key components found on todays sport bikes. First thing id start with would be suspension, a very important part to your bike.

:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
thank you, nice to find you. I am looking to do something fun with a realitivly cheap bike, before growing up and into the bigger bikes. I want a bigger back tire but am affraid to mess with the drive system too much as I am rather new at this, I should have become a bike builder instead of a web design turd. I have some tools and some skill, could use a welder to go with the rest, but another day. the bike runs great and gets down the track fast for her age but I want to make her faster. So I want to make her lighter and meaner but I have little back ground in machanical issues. I don't know enough about the electronics to make a difference...So bassicly I am a tard with a big fat dream... I would love to open my own sportbike and custom streetfighter shop near seattle wa usa. anyone want to let me work on your bike???

·
Ebay PosterChild
981 Posts
well not with that kind of confidence plus i own all the necessary tool to do all my own work maybe you wanna hire a mechanic ;) i'm a master at electical and body and know lots or random useless shit as well :p

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think maybe you should begin by working on your own bike. heh. thats how i got all my skills and knowledge. i now work on my friends bike and do services and shit when they want it (if they pay).

as far as a bigger rear tire...with most bikes you can go up a width size say from 160 to 170 for example. or you could find yourself a swingarm off a more recent bike and then swap from a 180 to 190!

it would take some work...but with our help, im sure you could get it done. i mean you are able to change your own oil and regular bullshit right?? if you can turn wrenches and have a concept of the way things work, it just takes some confidence and guts to do the bigger jobs.
you'll fail at 100% of the things you dont try!

for starters. get yourself a good manual for your bike. either a suzuki or a clymer manual. something to walk you thru the steps and give you pointers for the things youve never done.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
big shit as in rebuilding your motor/tranny/ forks. but swapping parts of your rolling chassis is stuff you should know how to do or learn to do IMO.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I plan on doing the paint and headlight changeover before spring, as for the rest I will probly ask for help when I get there. Is there anyone on here from Spokane Wa. USA?

·
Registered
28 Posts
also how hard would it be to swap the forks and swing arm from a more modern street bike to this 83...?

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
do you know what forks and swingarm you would want to use?

·
Registered
28 Posts
not a clue...I am going to go down to the local bike salvage yard and do some snooping around till I see a good part, then pray a lot

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if your not into doing more advanced custom work, you may want to stick with suzuki parts, as theres a greater chance of exchangeability. a newish gsxr swingarm would look badass, not sure how much work it would take tho. same with forks. new gsxr upside down forks would be badass.

·
Registered
28 Posts
gsxr 1000 inverted forks if I can find them good and or cheap...is a single sided swing arm too much to ask for?

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i think skroozloose may have a couple he MIGHT be willing to part with.

we have a set of USD gixxer 1k forks at my work, if you cant find any closer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also need to know how low can I go with the profile of a tire before I have to change rims...OEM size front 100/90-16 and rear is 120/90-17. I would like to go bigger in the rear and a little in the front too I think. maybe 130/70-17 ??? and 110/70-16 in front ???

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
holy christ...i have a 120 on the front of my 929!

im not sure about changing profiles..i dont think it would be a huge problem, it may make your ride a little stiffer.

anybody?

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
sup

I've got an '83 GS750ES sitting in someone's garage. It'll either be a fighter or a pile of rust eventually.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts