Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have decided to drill my stock triple to add some risers to my 2006 gsxr600. What do you think are the best tools to use? Especially for a guy on a budget. I can't really afford to go get a few hundred dollar machining or anything of that nature. Do you think its as easy as a drill with some strong cobalt bits? Or should I be investing in something else.

I have a cheappy drill that I wouldn't mind investing in a new one if that would be beneficial. I have a real nice set of cobalt bits that I have used for a while.

Also, should I use JB weld underneath? ( I have heard that this would reinforce the bottom) So measure the holes and recheck them then slap some JB weld underneath the hole on the bottom side and slap a piece of metal on top. Wait until it forms and then just drill the hole?

I am unfamiliar with drilling as I do more wood fabrication than anything with metal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am very excited as this is the first official streetfighter build I plan to stick with this entire winter. (motivated to get it finished, yet not too fast over the winter months. Wisconsin winters last quite long.) Earliest I could take it out comfortably would be March/April.

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
A drill press would be best, but if you are using a standard drill start with a small bit and then slowly step up. You will want to use a commercial metal filler. You would have to buy a ton of JB weld to fill it in. Let it set and then drill it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How expensive should I go for a drill press? Or could I go around the same price as a nice drill?

I will look into a commercial filler. I probably would trust that more as well.

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
I'm missing something. Why the need for a filler?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe it is to provide a solid thickness where you will be drilling. For added reinforcement. Because the bottom of my triple is webbed, it isn't a flush contact point.

Though I may be completely wrong... haha. Pretty sure that's why.

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
Ah, I see. I wouldn't bother... never drilled triples before so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but speaking from a structural fabricator's perspective... a washer, or even better flange bolt, or even betterer a large washer AND a flange bolt, would probably be fine. Or weld a threaded chunk of aluminum to the triple under the hole... if you can't do that yourself, bring the parts to a hot rod shop/machine shop/whatever shop and I'm sure one of the welders there would be happy to do it on the side for a 6-pack. I would be anyway.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
You don't need a drill press bro. A regular hand drill and elcheapo bits will pop through an aluminum yoke with ease.

Some bikes have super thin top yokes and really should be reinforced somehow, but I don't think that GSXR yokes of that age are very fragile at all.

Like the guys mentioned above, putty or washers/bushings of some type. There's no such thing as too much reinforcement.

Just for the sake of argument, my risers are bolted to a plate of aluminum that is secured to the top yoke via M6 bolts. Most here would view that as cheap, but I laid her down hard enough to mangle the bars and the mounts lived.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I used a hand drill on mine and just made sure bolt holes were in line and then started at 1mm and worked up in sizes slowly.

then just cut two 5mm steel plates for underneath to act as strengthening plates :)

cheap and cheerful!

·
☢
5,596 Posts
I used harbor freights version of jb weld, worked just fine. make sure if you go that route, to fill the underside before drilling.
and as shiny said, a regular twist drill will go through the ally easily. though I just started with the drill size I needed and didn't step up. just center punch and go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts