Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

On my Thunderace, all of the front end wiring goes underneath the front of the frame through the plastic tray that supports the coils. This is a bit of a pain as there are a lot of wires to get through a very small gap.

I am thinking can I get two holes drilled in my frame close to the headstock as I have seen on some other Yamahas with similar looking frames. I could then use these holes to route wiring etc to the left and right of the headstock instead of going underneath. If I did this would I be affecting the strength of the frame. The holes won't need to be big so I am hoping I could get away with it!!!!

I hope I have explained myself properly!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Hi all

On my Thunderace, all of the front end wiring goes underneath the front of the frame through the plastic tray that supports the coils. This is a bit of a pain as there are a lot of wires to get through a very small gap.

I am thinking can I get two holes drilled in my frame close to the headstock as I have seen on some other Yamahas with similar looking frames. I could then use these holes to route wiring etc to the left and right of the headstock instead of going underneath. If I did this would I be affecting the strength of the frame. The holes won't need to be big so I am hoping I could get away with it!!!!

I hope I have explained myself properly!!!!!!
Shervin?? Is that you???

Don't drill holes in your frame. Especially in a region as stressed as the headstock.

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
I would not do it

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
It all depends on the way it is all assembled in that area.

On the surface drilling holes in the frame sounds really bad, especially around the neck. But I know of a couple different designed frames in mind right now that are heavily braced in that area and a small,properly placed hole wouldn't affect it.

Post up a pic and show us what you're working with.

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
mine has one big ass hole in the frame. matter fact the neck tube(?) passes right through it. yup leads straight to the air box. ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
simply drilling holes in certain areas will not necessarily weaken those areas, years ago it was called "drillium" and some old timers truly had made it an art... i do agree tho that some areas should be approached with cation, i think the original question in this thread was to see about how to do a simple wire tuck. LOL although i use the word simple lightly! lol

G

·
On an ally frame i wouldn't do it unless i was going to weld a crush tube in, i've seen too many cracked out from owner drilled holes to consider it

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Look at this build thread for a YZF750 - basically the same frame as the ace.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=41417.0

The guy has dropped his engine and there are some pics of the inside of the frame as well.

My problem is that alot of wiring ran outside the frame under the fairing. some of the other wiring went through a hole in the coil holder tray under the headstock.

I have re-routed all of the wiring through the hole in the coil tray but there is only so much room under there and it is a pain trying to get a big bunch of wires through a hole not designed for the purpose.

What I mainly want to do is to provide another route for some of the wiring.

I was thinking small holes on both sides of the frame about here...

I would not be feeding all of the wiring through these holes, just stuff like sswitch gear wiring mainly.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The problem with running them under the frame is that there are too many wires and it is a right pain in the bum feeding them through.

I am not bothered how visible they are as I can use flexible hose or something to tidy them up a bit.

·
WannaBe
103 Posts
The problem with running them under the frame is that there are too many wires and it is a right pain in the bum feeding them through.

I am not bothered how visible they are as I can use flexible hose or something to tidy them up a bit.
Bro, you're gonna to redo the wiring and make that shit smaller. Those giant ass plugs gotta go! I'm doing up my YZF600R right now so I know what you're talking about. I'm gonna just strip it all down, break out the soldering iron, and do it up right.

·
382 Posts
Dude you're fine to put some holes in the frame. The only thing you have to do is weld some pipe in the hole.

This will actually brace your frame as a by product of your wire routing. It's a win win.

Get some schedule 10 tubing, I'm guessing 1 1/2 inch diameter is plenty and slide it into your bored hole. Weld it up and done.

I've added ram air ports through frames that didn't provide it. This is nothing. I would make sure they are on both sides for posterity though

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
On my yzf750r I run the wiring down the inside of the frame ran right above the valve cover and out over the radiator it wasn't that hard have me the clean look I wanted and no frame drilling.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts