Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully it turns out to be something simple but here's what's goin on so far.

I was pulling the bike out of the shed and the rear slipped in a mudhole and I ended up dropping it on its right side, the bike ran for a second or two on its side but that's all. I picked it back up; the starter just clicks when I try to start it.

Damn sliders didn't help a bit, they just sank down into the mud. I took the starter clutch out and the starter spins fine when free from the engine. I then pulled the plugs and tried to turn the crank over manually with a socket wrench. I can rotate it back and forth maybe 45 degrees but the it just meets a wall of binding resistance at either end. Bike is in neutral on the rear stand.

Plugs aren't soaked in oil, or gas, the bike was picked up immediately after the drop and only ran on its side for a couple seconds before dying. Didn't make any noise beforehand, the tip over kill switch killed it. Could I really be looking at a rebuild after a simple drop? Never had a bike seize after just a drop on its side. I guess it won't be too bad as internals are cheap as hell but really?

·
Premium Member
50,500 Posts
wot bike isit Beefy? + thats weard as fook mate !

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 05 gsxr 600 it's been plugging my mind all day, what the hell man?!!

Drjellyfingers: about the bypass, does the tipover kill switch operate similar to the killswitch on the bars? Like I can hit the starter and it'll attempt to turn the engine but all I get is a binding click from the starter. Damn engine ain't budging at all, aside from the range I can spin it back and forth.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Check that u didn't kill your battery a cell could break and it won't give enough charge to turn it over. If it clicks then its not the side stand switch. It may still be the tip over but put a volt meter on the bat make sure it's over 12v

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
dude the the best thing about these gsxrs, do u know how to put it in dealer mode? if not ill explain that too, but if u do, get the code, guarantee its the tip over, which is in the tail and can be bypassed with 2 resistors.

dealer mode, under the front seat theres a plug with a rubber on it that says "UP"

open the rubber cover, with a paper clip jump the black and white wire with the red and white wire. dont cut them, just jump them in the plug. then the code will come up on the dash. if "C00" is everything is good so disregard if u get that.

·
Premium Member
50,500 Posts
. I then pulled the plugs and tried to turn the crank over manually with a socket wrench. I can rotate it back and forth maybe 45 degrees but the it just meets a wall of binding resistance at either end. Bike is in neutral on the rear stand. ?

THIS! is not good . Gonna have to isolate tha reason its locking up by elimination or stripdown.Did it run a while when it was droped?

·
Premium Member
50,500 Posts
THIS! is not good . Gonna have to isolate tha reason its locking up by elimination or stripdown.Did it run a while when it was droped?
OK re-read and seen a second or two of running .Not a oil starve issue then.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright guys, I dug a little further in

Drjellyfingers: I don't have a dash that can display a code, I'm using a gps for a speedo. I bypassed the tip over though and no change. Engine still can't turn over completely

Shinyribs: it got a new battery a couple days ago because the last one had formed a crack in a cell from where it was rubbing the subframe. I can turn it over in a 45ish degree range with the crank bolt but it just meets a wall at either end.

Rob: I'm thinkin that's where the problems gonna be too, I pulled the stator off to check if all the pistons are traveling and they are. I'm fearing a dropped valve or something of the timing sort. I've pulled the valve cover off before heading to work to check for jumped timing but I can't put the she bitch at tdc. Not too sure whether to drop the engine at this point and throw it on the table or to pull cams and reset timing.

Anyone ever heard of an engine killing drop? It didn't even damage any casing or anything, landed in soft squishy mud! The bike was running perfectly day before and fired right up/idled fine before the drop.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,046 Posts
Yeah, I totally missed the part in your OP when you said it was hitting resistance. It's hard to tell what that could be,but there should be a witness mark somewhere to give you a clue.

No way it dropped a valve falling over IMO. Unless it fell off a tall building on to the retainer cap I can't see that happening.

Is there anyway it messed up something shifter-wise(even though it fell on it's right)? Like maybe it's got the transmission jammed in gear? Does disengaging the clutch allow the engine to rotate?

Good luck bud. This sucks.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Dumb question but is the transmission for sure for sure in neutral?

Coolant filled cylinder or oil filled, causing hydro-lock? Sounds strange but maybe, just tossing it out there...

This is a weird one lol.. Good luck either way!

·
Premium Member
50,500 Posts
keepin me eye on this WTF' thing!Hope tissa simple fix,but~

·
Registered
346 Posts
He pulled the plugs so if its hydro locked what ever liquid that was in there would have been pushed out

Wish I could help more

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Transmission wise everything is working normal, Itll shift 1-6 and neutral, clutch is operating normally; I can spin the rear tire no problem when the bike is in neutral or when the clutch is in. It didn't seem hydro locked either, the plugs were completely dry when they were pulled. She was on her side but maybe 10 15 seconds, 2 of those seconds running.

What the fookin hell, maybe if the bike was to be dropped on the opposite side it'll counteract this black voodoo magic?

If it's any help, after I picked the bike up and tried to crank it turned over 2 or 3 times then click, starter binding.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,046 Posts
maybe if the bike was to be dropped on the opposite side it'll counteract this black voodoo magic?
hahaha I don't think I'd risk it. :D

I'm not familiar with these engines,but all the things are basically the same ol lumps. Have you pulled the ignition or stator cover to look for causes yet?

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Could the starter be bound up or something? Maybe a couple of love taps on the starter with a "persuader" could help?

·
GO FAST
94 Posts
This happened to my 00 srad 600. I dropped it on the left side a start tooth broke off and was binding everything up just take the starter cover off and have a little look.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
pulled the starter clutch out and everything, here's a little something; when the starter clutch/and reducer gear are in with the starter cover I can't turn the engine at all; with it all removed (no cover or gears) the crank can be rotated in the 45 degree range. The case is probably warped trash or something of the sort. The problem has got to be related to the source somewhere along the line and I think the cause is from the case being bent out of shape enough to misalign the starter system.

checked the stator, nothing wrong there; all four pistons travel in the cylinders(huge relief) top end is on the menu today.

There's no broken teeth/obstructions in the starter gears, flywheel, starter clutch, cam shafts, timing chain, and the oil pump gear.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts