Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Honda Fanboy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I picked up a 1995 Honda CBR 600 F3 with 25k miles a few months ago. Previous owner bought the bike, put an engine cage on it, spray painted it black (over the decals of course), put crappy pegs on the front and rear, put a new yosh muffler on, threw a K&N filter in it and had the carbs adjusted, went down one tooth on the front sprocket and up three on the rear, and then set it down on a dirt road. He ripped up the fairings, but there was no mechanical damage to the bike. Frame, shocks, and everything is good and true. He bought a GSXR 750 and just wanted to dump the Honda cheap- so I bought it and drove it home. Most of the fairings are gone and the gauge cluster starts and stops working intermittently, but she still pulls real strong in the twisties.

The bike is mechanically sound, but it does need some work. Since it is a running bikes, most of what I want to do to it will be visual.

This is my first fighter build. I've done some mods and such for older bikes (I'm into the mid-late 80s gen bikes), but this is my first sport bike and my first streetfighter.

Here is what she looks like right now:

all the junk I got with the bike

brought inside for the winter. as she sits right now.

I want to do something that is both simple and unique. Here is what I'm planning on tentatively doing to her:
- trim side fairings for under gas tank/seat [started]
- handlebar conversion kit [didn't buy kit, but purchased cafe style bars and raised mounts]
- build new under-seat/tail fairing section [in-process]
- new tail light/indicator combo [purchased]
- new head light/fairing [purchased]
- buy and locate a horn [purchased and located]
- build bracket for rear lighting and pan
- new switches for left and right handlebars [purchased]
- new grips, purple isn't really my style [purchased]
- handlebar mounted mirrors with indicators [purchased]
- bar ends [purchased]
- trim belly pan fairing for cleaner fit with cage [started]
- new gauge or cluster (biggest challenge) [purchased gps unit]
- re-wire most/all of bike (also big challenge)
- new pegs [purchased]
- new front fender
- new choke cable [purchased]
- shorten muffler?
- strip down paint and decals, repaint (grey to match frame?) [decals and gas cap purchased]

After he set the bike down, he gave it to one of his friends to work on. I don't know what that friend did, but the biggest challenge I foresee is the wiring. The original wiring harness has been relocated poorly as well as modified in spots. I'm thinking about just starting over, which allows for better relocation of the wiring anyways.

I'm going to stick with the stock seat and subframe for this project. I like the style and think I can clean it up nicely as well as hide most of the electronics under the passenger portion of the seat.

I'm not really a new member to the site, but I haven't really been active much until recently as I'm researching different ways to do things. There is a lot of good information you all have provided on here!

Help/suggestions are always welcomed. Thanks for stopping by!

·
Honda Fanboy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here is a start to the trimmed side fairings. these are just rough cuts- they will be finalized before paint (or when I buy a nicer/better dremel or equivalent). just wanted to get a rough estimate of the sizing and shape.

I'm thinking I'm going to paint and put the rear tire hugger back in as well...suggestions?

·
#114 CVMA/STTARS
3,743 Posts
before you go too wild hacking shit off the frame consider what you want the thing to look like and consider picking up some welding skills or a good contact for someone that can do your welding. Too many times guys just chop the crap out of a bike, can't figure out what they want to do with it, then give up and sell it or leave it a "bobber." Don't be that guy.

·
Honda Fanboy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rabid- I'm hoping so!

Shane- not going to hack off anything in the frame. I'm going to work with it like it is. The only welding I potentially see is for the headlight bracket and the rear pan under the seat. I have access to equipment and have a few close friends and relatives who've done quite a bit of welding that are willing to help out. The frame, subframe, etc. will all be kept stock. Thanks for the advice tho

P.S.- love VFRs! think they are some of the best bikes ever made. nice build!

Scrappy- I've got an idea in my head...i might have to do a mock up in the near future so everyone can see what I'm thinking of rolling with for this

·
Honda Fanboy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
got some time off of work for the holidays so decided to start wrenching a bit.

the more i dig into this wiring job...the worse it gets. was thinking at first i might not have to start from scratch but the deeper i go, the more i want to.

also, had a suggestion for the speedo. since i wanted to do a minimalist dash but couldn't find a speedo or anything i liked for a decent price (i'm cheap), it was suggested that I just use a gps unit for a car or motorcycle since most show your speed. i got one cheap on sale and a handlebar mount for new handlebar conversion. not exactly the most legal method per say, but i have some friends in law enforcement who all said it's probably more accurate anyways.

some pictures so far. just stripped her down a bit and the parts have started rolling in slowly but surely.

hopefully more progess soon! maybe i'll mock up what i'm thinking of while i'm waiting for parts...

comments and suggestions always welcome

·
V four honda whore
12,487 Posts
P.S.- love VFRs! think they are some of the best bikes ever made.
I wanted a cbr f2/f3 at the start, but then got my hands on early vfr750, now i have two. And i want another :D

Good luck with the build. With a nice custom seat and subframe tidying, bike would look a great streetbike

Reactions: drthv8r

·
Honda Fanboy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you can get a trail tech vapor from amazon for under $100
i think i may go with the full dash for a future build. i really just wanted a black, backlit, round speedo, but i like the idea of having a small gps on-board now as well. we'll see how it goes. maybe i'll switch in the future.

I wanted a cbr f2/f3 at the start, but then got my hands on early vfr750, now i have two. And i want another :D

Good luck with the build. With a nice custom seat and subframe tidying, bike would look a great streetbike
well stay tuned :p my first big boy bike was an 84 sabre 700, and i fell in love with the v4. convinced some friends to get into magnas and i've always loved honda's v4. some sort of interceptor/vfr model will be my next bike.

if you're donating viffers, i accept charity :)

·
Honda Fanboy
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
updating!

It's been a little bit. Been tight on cash (damn you student loans!) and acquiring parts here and there. I ordered everything except a front fender.

Speaking of the fender, does anybody know of a more common or available fender that will bolt up with minimum modification? finding an f3 on ebay or anywhere seems to be a challenge.

Now with all the parts ordered, it's down to finishing up the fabrication on the rear section and rewiring the beast. Living in Wisconsin, I've got about 1-1.5 months yet to go before enough snow is gone/it is warm enough to get her on the road. Then comes paint and decals.

Hopefully pics soon as parts start showing up!

oh....her name is Holly. Holly the Honda. Seline the CBR came in a close second.
I'm also debating on Felicia the F3 :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts