Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a great time building my 1000rr, it was ridiculous to ride and had a blast all year with it. I sold it to fund my new project, an SSSA project.

If you want to see the original 1000rr build click here: http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58886

I have personally asked around to CF members gathering info on their builds and thanks to all of you, i have decided on a platform.

12 years ago, I built a 954 fighter. I thought it was an amazing bike until i totaled it, I wanted to find another and reboot the bike from so long ago.

·
always a work in progress
472 Posts
Re: FightRR v.2 Forged

Sweet, I loved your 1000rr build. Are you also planning on running a zx14 front rim on this one too, with the SSSA? It'd match perfectly with that rear wheel, what rim is that, btw?

·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Sweet, I loved your 1000rr build. Are you also planning on running a zx14 front rim on this one too, with the SSSA? It'd match perfectly with that rear wheel, what rim is that, btw?
I will be running a front forged wheel from a 1098, to match the rear, surprisingly honda and ducati share the same axle size. custom spacers are needed though.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts

Pullin' up a chair...

·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Moved to a new place that took up a lot of time.

Definitely started collecting the parts, swingarms and wheel came in to experiment putting a ducati 1098 eccentric setup including the hub into a VFR swinger.

The project came to a halt when i realized i dont have the sockets for both of the swingarm hubs. Will be visiting sears this week.

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts

Hey, really looking forward to this!

While you've got that 1098 arm apart do you fancy helping out by contributing to this:

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1256267#post1256267

If you are in, you'll need to take some photos of the parts in the same way and measure as comparably as you can to measurements on the other arms, shoot me a PM if you are game. I can 'shop the photos up so it matches the others and put a name credit on there for you.

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts

Great, no hurry, just wanted to catch you before you got too far down the line with the conversion and had it all together! Shoot me any info & questions via PM to stop your thread getting junked up. Rep'ed in advance!

BTW, if the Ducati-VFR800 fitment doesn't work out you might be able to use a Triumph hub & spindle but the side for the wheel would require shortening and re-threadling i believe. I completed a Triumph-VFR800 swap last year, the details are here: http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63138&page=7 with further mods in my winter build-off thread linked at the bottom of the work-up.

·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Looks like this mod is a little easier than i thought. hope i can help someone just like how member KEEF helped me. Thanks again for the idea.

So i used a 16 gauge sheet metal to make a shim between the VFR swingarm and the Ducati 1098 eccentric hub, and my god did it fit perfectly. Like snug and perfect.

The side to side spacing from what i read is 3mm spacer on the sprocket side to line with a vfr, since i have a 954 and going to install the swingarm now, i figured i'd wait.

Next steps, mount the swingarm to the 954 lower frame/motor mounts. Extend the 1098 brake caliper braket so its positioned correctly.

Very exciting to fit a 6 inch 1098 forged wheel to the 954, can't wait for it to progress to a rolling chassis.

·
Registered
239 Posts

I can't take all the credit. Ben at extreme creations figured it out.
I wanted light wheels on my Vfr, and I'd seem carrozerria make an adapter plate to fit duke wheels to vfrs. I asked Ben to CNC me an adapter plate for the 1098 wheelie found cheap. He figured out that a spacer and shim was much easier than some CNC goodness.
Good to see this info spreading around. Ducati hub and wheel I a Vfr arm is much easier than duke wheel, triumph hub and Vfr arm.

Can't wait to see it all in the bike.

·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Regardless, you posted the info. This is, honestly the only way i would do a SSSA swap only due to weight. Thanks to you and r3voltn1 on these forums...this swap is easier than i thought.
The stock vfr hub, along with wheel and setup is ridiculously heavy. with car wheels it just made it worse.
Just swapping out this setup with the light ducati hub and a super light wheel...its saving around 12-13lbs back there. That's some serious weight.
Also for the people who wants to know, the 98 VFR swingarm pivot bolt is the same as as rear wheel axle of a 95 900rr. I had trouble locating one until finding this out. New is $95!!!
Excited to dive in this weekend, hopefully ill have a nice update soon.
Thanks for following!

I can't take all the credit. Ben at extreme creations figured it out.
I wanted light wheels on my Vfr, and I'd seem carrozerria make an adapter plate to fit duke wheels to vfrs.
Can't wait to see it all in the bike.

·
Registered
239 Posts

I remember getting the wheels from the post office, and being surprised at how light the rear 1098s rear wheel was. It felt lighter than the front carrozerria I had sitting in the shed.

·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Swingarm is on and it's almost done, i still need to shave some metal off it so it extends all the way. it hits one of the bolts of the engine case.

Overall, great stuff.

Only downfall was getting the 2 1" spacers machines, no way you can do it yourself. I didnt want to attempt to bore it out with a 3/4 drill bit.

Now i can focus on brake caliper extension and mounting the shock correctly. Soon i'll be able to clean everything off and start scrubbing the years of dirt that built up.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts